• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How to put 850 bumper covers on to a 940

robiewing

VolvoRacr
This guide was translated from Swedish by Alex Buchka, thanks.

It was originally posted at http://www.volvo940turbo.dk/

Thank You to volvo940turbo.dk for graciously allowing me to share this with you (us) yanks! :-P

::[ Mounting an 850R bumper onto a 940! ]::

FRONT

You need:
An 850 upper part (newer model ,95-97) Part nr : 3512818, 2200 SEK
An 850 spoiler. R version or plain. (newer model ,95-97) Part nr : 9151251, 2100 SEK
850 Fog lights 1995-97, Part nr (right)9451598, (left)9451599, 800 SEK/each
______________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Disassemble the entire front end except for the main support bar and the headlights.

2. Loosen the nuts holding the support bar from behind and slide it up a good bit so it sits nice and flush with the bottom of the lights, then tighten the nuts

72.jpg

These are the nuts you have to loosen in order to move the support bar

74.jpg

Here, the support bar hasn?t been raised at all; there is a very big gap.

75.JPG

This is what the raised support bar is supposed to look like. ( Picture credit to Jonas N "Speedfreak")

3. Test mount the upper part of the bumper, try to hide the gap that appears between the upper bumper and the bottom of the lights. I filled it in with body filler since I was painting all of it black anyway, but if you don?t want to do that just pull the upper part back a little bit to hide it as best you can. Just use trial end error until the gap is as small as possible, or just whip out the body filler.

67.jpg

Picture of the gap, but it?s not really attached all the way. It needs to be moved back a little bit more. This is just to illustrate exactly where the gap appears. (Picture credit to Jonas N "Speedfreak")

4. Now it?s time to attach it. I drilled some holes under the grill and attached the upper bumper from above with nuts and bolts. On the sides a more custom solution is needed, like some sort of plate that attaches to the upper bumper and is then bent to attach to the original bumper mounting holes. For the wheel wells I used a mounting screw that attach?s the quarter panel right above the original bumper mounting hole. I used a piece of flat iron that was long enough to reach the quarter panel mount that I bolted to the ?rear? of the upper bumper, then I bent it at the proper length and attached it to the body. (see picture for clairification)

68.jpg

The white screw all the way to the right was used to fit the wheel well part of the upper bumper. The two holes underneath were used to mount the sides.

73.jpg

5. Here is the original 940 side mount that I removed. (Picture credit to Jonas N "Speedfreak")

77.jpg

This is the angled piece of flat iron I made to attach the wheel well part of the upper bumper.

6. Make sure everything is straight and looks good before you tighten it all down.

7. Now it?s time to attach the lower bumper. It just snaps into place.
64.jpg

8. The fog light mount looks like this:
78.jpg

It attaches to a hole drilled in the support bar. The mount is very stable and doesn?t move at all.

9. Next step is to attach the mesh that covers the holes next to the fog lights. Or, you can do what I did and use wire mesh attached with safety wire.

10. This might seem confusing at first, but once all the parts are laying in front of you it becomes clear. I?m sure there are at least 10 other ways to attach them, this is one. Good luck!

::[ Widening the rear bumper with 850 parts ]::

REAR

This was not a project I was planning on doing, but I managed to get 2 rear bumpers for about 400 SEK; One for an 855 and one for an 854. Both olive green.

127.jpg

The lengths are different for the sedan and wagon bumpers. If you use the sedan center section with the wagon sides everything works out perfectly.

128.jpg

This is what the sedan bumper looks like without widening. It?s just as narrow on the other side. Note that it doesn?t extend out of the back any farther either, so it looks very strange.

129.jpg

854 bumper as seen in the above picture. Too narrow and too short.

130.jpg

Holes for exhaust cutouts done and plastic trim test installed. Also, bumper graft in progress.

84.jpg

Grafting completed. The center section is from the sedan bumper and the sides are from the wagon version.

In order for the bumper to have the correct dimensions you have to cut the sides off of the sedan bumper as far ?out? as possible and graft the wagon sides on to it.

71.jpg

Here it is newly painted. The upper part is painted with some sort of structure paint that looks like the original gray trim.

126.jpg

The finished product. Turned out pretty well considering I have never done this before.

Total:
854 rear bumper 300 SEK
855 rear bumper 100 SEK
2 exhaust cutouts for 850 173 SEK (part nr: 9151783)
Fiberglassing 200 SEK
Paint was cheap since a friend did it.

Translation: abuchka@gmail.com

____________________________________________________________________________________________

The pictures are being hosted by the original site.
If they ever don't load, let me know so I rehost them somewhere else.

Unfortunately I haven't done this project yet. So I probably won't be able to offer any help. Other than moral support. :lol: But have no problem trying.

Good Luck, remember, post lots of pics when you are finished!

Rob

Last edited:
Finally remembered and had a few minutes to get all of the pictures posted. The original author had no problem with me posting it and said he was glad it could be of use.

The word files are still available if you'd like to download them.

Thanks again to Alex for the translation.

:volvo:

Back