PDA

View Full Version : 7 series seats in a 2 series?

Krisverde
01-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Has anyone done it? What's required in doing it? and is it worth it?

If not 7 series seats, what other front seats did you mount up in a 2 series?

gambym
01-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Has anyone done it? What's required in doing it? and is it worth it?

If not 7 series seats, what other front seats did you mount up in a 2 series?

Corbeau LG-1's

Krisverde
01-23-2008, 01:16 AM
They sound expensive

YLD244
01-23-2008, 02:19 AM
Any side mount sparcos with the brackets go straight onto the studs of the 240 sliders

b4_ford
01-23-2008, 03:10 AM
1980's/early 90's BMW 3 series seats. Hard to find in decent shape anymore.

BrickBaller
01-23-2008, 03:24 AM
Has anyone fit in Volvo seats with the side impact airbags? I was thinking it would be fun to try to fit them in a 244...

Karl Buchka
01-23-2008, 03:47 AM
Has anyone fit in Volvo seats with the side impact airbags? I was thinking it would be fun to try to fit them in a 244...

If you actually want to try making the bags functional it's a recipe for disaster.

smosit
01-23-2008, 12:01 PM
If you actually want to try making the bags functional it's a recipe for disaster.

how so? just curious (i disabled the SIPS stuff in the <a href="http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=116823&highlight=850+seats">850 seats now in my 245</a>.)

Krisverde
01-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Im sure most seats will need a bit of work to fit them up? Im just to damn cheap for sparcos and all that other stuff.

DaButcher
01-24-2008, 10:57 AM
You can fit 7/9 seats, but you need to do some welding.
We did it on a friends 240...

But, lol.. we used both 240 and 940 sliders, so it got double up of sliders.
Then the seat can be ALL the way back, lol..

We used anglegrinder and then welded the crap back together.
The 7/9 has a wider seat-bottom than the 200.

--

btw. I would also fit side mount bracket bucket seats, as I did.
Detailed installation here: http://www.volvo-power.net/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=2

Blue245Ti
01-24-2008, 02:35 PM
One of the former iPd project cars, the 262C built by Scott Hart, had 7-series seats in it... Never saw the car in person, but one of the guys @ iPd could probably get the details for ya.

-J

Krisverde
01-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Thanks ill have to check this out some more then. I have no access to a welder unless I can ask mike to do it.

ashvolvo
01-26-2008, 12:59 AM
Cobra Monaco S seats. Made up a base-frame, painted it and fitted.

MKUltra
01-26-2008, 01:09 PM
side airbag seats wont function in an accident unless they are fully wired into the car. if you REALLY wanted to go through the trouble of removing the airbag computer, wich is under the center console in 40, 60 70 80's and in 9 series cars they are under the drivers seat. all the wiring is integrated into the main harness wich would be a pain in the butt to reomve and the try to figure out where it all connects. m3 seats are always comfy, had a set in my 93 toyota pickup but they weighed about 80 lbs a piece and are quite bulky. swapped em for a set of mr2 seats wich were VERY comfortable and very light. go to the junkyard and sit in random old spoarts cars... just look around and see what you find

smosit
01-26-2008, 02:15 PM
side airbag seats wont function in an accident unless they are fully wired into the car.

not sure about other volvo seats with SIPS, but the 850 side impact bags are not electronically controlled and, thus, are in no way wired into the car. they pneumatically controlled. at the outside base of each seat is a priming cap/module, with two tubes leading up to the airbags in the side of the seat back. in the event of a side impact, the door will press (forcefully) on the priming cap, which sends shock waves up the tubes to two more priming caps/explosive devices that inflate the bag(s) (one is set off just milliseconds after the first to keep the bag inflated longer).

i disabled one by mistake, removing the seat from the car at the salvage yard, and disabled the other to trim parts of the seat frame at the base, to fit them in my 245.

ryan

TR Conn
01-26-2008, 11:06 PM
I installed a set of 780 seats in my '78 Bertone, it was easy for the front seats, the rear, a bit more troublesome.
For the fronts I cut off the knob on the bottom of the rail, then used a steel bar across the front of the rails to compenaste for the different widths. On the back of the rails I built supports that fit under the rails and bolted through the floor using large fender washers. The seats are a bit higher than the originals and a lot heavier. I was able to retain all of the electric functions except the seat memory.
The rear seat required major surgery! I removed lots of foam and supporting internal framework, I just kept cutting and test fitting until it fit. Not too many people sit in the rear, so it's mostly for looks.

I've posted some photos at:
http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/trconn/Bertone%20282C%205L/

Krisverde
01-27-2008, 01:14 AM
LGB I imagine the 780 seats are similair to the 740? If only I could do this. Did you have to weld anything?

Fivehundred
01-27-2008, 11:01 AM
The side airbags are mechanically triggered in the earlier cars. There is a lump of plastic in the door. It hits the trigger, the airbag goes boom. Which is why you should fit the plastic safety clip when you're moving them about.

side airbag seats wont function in an accident unless they are fully wired into the car. if you REALLY wanted to go through the trouble of removing the airbag computer, wich is under the center console in 40, 60 70 80's and in 9 series cars they are under the drivers seat. all the wiring is integrated into the main harness wich would be a pain in the butt to reomve and the try to figure out where it all connects. m3 seats are always comfy, had a set in my 93 toyota pickup but they weighed about 80 lbs a piece and are quite bulky. swapped em for a set of mr2 seats wich were VERY comfortable and very light. go to the junkyard and sit in random old spoarts cars... just look around and see what you find

TR Conn
01-27-2008, 12:10 PM
As far as I know the mechanics for the 740 - 780 seats are the same, the differences being, of course, rear seat access and the appearance.
No welding was needed, just a hack-saw and a drill.
I'll add photos to the photobucket site.

smosit
01-27-2008, 12:32 PM
I installed a set of 780 seats in my '78 Bertone.....I've posted some photos at:
http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/trconn/Bertone%20282C%205L/

your car looks good. what's the V8 from?

TR Conn
01-27-2008, 07:07 PM
The engine & trans came from a '90 Mustang
I know that most turbobrick members would rather see a built B230 FT than a V8, but this car is faster, smoother running, and gets better gas mileage than the clunky V6 ever was capable of.
I set up a website about 3 years ago at:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res03wec/282C.html

You will no doubt notice a few changes since then.
I'm an old fart and consider this a luxury sport coupe rather than a racer.