PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of a 245 rear-ended?

fivealive
01-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Hey all,

Anyone got any pictures showing the 245's rear crumple zone in action?
Not a rollover, but a rear-ending impact. We all know, from jpbturbo's thread (http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=77538) what happens if you roll it over:

http://jpbturbo.com/images/wreck/small/wreck16.jpg

Why? I'm writing up a little bit on why you shouldn't use your 3rd seat in your 245 for my website...

Tenacious Todd
01-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Hey all,

Anyone got any pictures showing the 245's rear crumple zone in action?
Not a rollover, but a rear-ending impact. We all know, from jpbturbo's thread (http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=77538) what happens if you roll it over:

Why? I'm writing up a little bit on why you shouldn't use your 3rd seat in your 245 for my website...

Maybe you should also write up an article of why you shouldn't cross the street put a fork in the toaster use a hair dryer near a shower surf with sharks ETC . We all take calculated risks everyday and IMO there are some instances were they HAVE to be used. Maybe do an article of why we should stay at home and NOT drive .

GrandmaSideways
01-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Maybe you should also write up an article of why you shouldn't cross the street put a fork in the toaster use a hair dryer near a shower surf with sharks ETC . We all take calculated risks everyday and IMO there are some instances were they HAVE to be used. Maybe do an article of why we should stay at home and NOT drive .

Yeah I'd rather not take calculated risks with OTHER'S lives. Or my kids for that matter.

Tenacious Todd
01-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah I'd rather not take calculated risks with OTHER'S lives. Or my kids for that matter.

I am sure if VOLVO thought they were too dangerous they would not have installed them in their cars remember VOLVO=SAFETY. I you get hit hard enough and fast enough by something that weighs enough IE tractor trailer it really doesn't matter everyone will be DEAD !!

fivealive
01-24-2008, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the help. :roll:

SL8Brick
01-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Ummm, my 245 lacks the 3rd seat because my kids get nausious and barf when they ride backwards.

GrandmaSideways
01-24-2008, 11:51 PM
I am sure if VOLVO thought they were too dangerous they would not have installed them in their cars remember VOLVO=SAFETY. I you get hit hard enough and fast enough by something that weighs enough IE tractor trailer it really doesn't matter everyone will be DEAD !!

They caved in to market demand. American cars offered it so they did too. Putting a kid directly in the crumple zone on an old 245 is not a great idea.

jrocheunh
01-25-2008, 08:49 PM
i dont have pictures right now, but my 86 245 was rear ended at approx 40 mph by a GMC jimmy. No intrusion into the passenger area other than about a 3/4" buckle in the floor pan near where the below floor storage area is on the pass. side

norcal505
01-26-2008, 12:00 AM
lol, my car was rear ended A WHILE AGO.
The bumper cov, taillights, tailgate, and i think thats all it was.
whats funny is that, back then, the car was owned by my parents, and i was still sitting in the passenger seat.

neptune
01-26-2008, 12:17 AM
Sorry, don't have any offhand. Why not just take a camera to a junkyard? I'm sure you could get more than a few photos for just a couple hours of work.
I've spent far too much of my life in junkyards, and I've only ever seen two or three Volvo wagons that I wouldn't have wanted to be in the third seat of. One was an 850R that got hit hard, and several times. The third seat was still there and mostly intact, but anyone sitting it in would have broken bones at best.
Another was a 745 that got hit from the side right about where the rear axle was. Lots of damage and some intrusion, but not into the seat itself, but darn close.
But yes, jpbturbo's wreck scares the heck out of me.

84 Blue 240
01-26-2008, 01:49 AM
My mom got rear ended (insert joke here) in my 245 a while ago. The car that hit her was a Cadillac Fleetwood going approx. 40-45 MPH. The tailgate crumpled and the rear fenders pushed forward a bit, but there was no real intrusion into the passenger area. I would imagine the kids would be more terrified from seeing the car approach than anything else.

Fivehundred
01-26-2008, 03:21 PM
How do you know that someone will run in the back of the car? It is equally possible the car with the rear facing seats clobbers something. I think you could make a very credible argument that the rear facing seats are considerably safer in the event of a frontal impact. The child will get thrown back in the seat, rather than into belts. Their heads won't snap forwards.

In point of fact all RAF aeroplanes carrying passengers have rearward facing seats, as it is considerably safer.

Lap belts in the centre of the rear seat are considered unsafe because of the risk of abdominal injury, yet if a car were to get hit in a rear door that goes to hell.

IMHO you're talking nonsense.

tryingbe
01-26-2008, 10:00 PM
2-5mph bump.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=123419

Jostra Quadrox
01-27-2008, 06:47 PM
My son loves the rear seat in the 7/9s, but I keep him out of it on the expressway. It is within the crumple zone, and I'd prefer him within the safety cage in situations where being rear-ended at high speed is at least a higher possibility. FWIW

Fivehundred
01-27-2008, 07:34 PM
The child sits above the fuel tank, which is outside the crumple zone on a 240. I still think however that this isn't just about physical protection, there are serious differences between front and rear facing seats for children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsqE-uOtMM4

http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/facts.php#accident

Gves food for thought.