PDA

View Full Version : LED lights for 52mm VDO gauges in 240?

Bigscreen Bob
01-25-2008, 06:33 PM
There was a recent discussion on this forum about LED lights from www.superbrightleds.com being used in the dash. I did a search but I can't find the thread.

My question is: is there an white LED light that's easy to install in the Volvo OEM (VDO) 52mm gauges that is significantly brighter than factory? If so, what's it called and where can I buy them?

I wrote down the LED lights referenced in the earlier thread (that I can't find) for the top dash (WLED-x5 LED Wedge Base Bulbs). I believe for the smaller center dash console you need LED's designated as 12vB8.5D.

According to Volvo World's web site, the factory original 52mm accessory gauge lights were 1.2 watts W2x6.6D. If that's true, what's the LED light designation for a brighter LED light that easily fits in the 52mm gauges.

(FWIW, Volvo World also notes the instrument panel lights as being 3 watts W2.1x9.5D).

Thanks.

psy
01-25-2008, 06:55 PM
hold be right back with what you need.

tada

go to page 2 and 2nd from the top look for
WLED-x5 LED Wide Angle LED bulb those are for the cluster gauges I think you need 5 I forget.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR&keywords=&cart_id=5960538.28658&next=50

neptune
01-25-2008, 06:59 PM
For most of the 52mm gauges you'll want the #74 bulbs, without the twist-lock base.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/74_t15.htm

I haven't tried any of the #74's in my gauges yet, but I do have a white led ba7s from them in my ambient temp gauge, and the lighting isn't great. It is very blue (remember there is a green filter in the gauge) and rather dim. It works fine for the ambient temp gauge, but I wouldn't want my boost gauge that dim.

I am using the #74s in the switch bulbs and various other interior locations in both my 240 and my sister's 240D. I'm very happy with them in those locations.

Bigscreen Bob
01-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks very much, psy and neptune!

see below...

Bigscreen Bob
01-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks very much, psy and neptune!

Just to follow up to be sure I'm getting this right...

So, Neptune, for the 52mm gauges -- if I want WHITE LED's you mean the ones www.superbrightleds.com calls "74 Wedge Base LED bulb", for $1.19 ea. is that correct?

The dimness you're talking about, is that because you're using BLUE LED's and not white??? My goal is to have a whiter and brighter light on all my 52mm gauges, compared to factory.

psy, I thought the WLED-x5 LED wedge base wide angle LED lights were for the instrument cluster, and not the 52mm gauges. Am I wrong about that?

neptune
01-25-2008, 08:29 PM
So, Neptune, for the 52mm gauges -- if I want WHITE LED's you mean the ones www.superbrightleds.com calls "74 Wedge Base LED bulb", for $1.19 ea. is that correct?

The dimness you're talking about, is that because you're using BLUE LED's and not white??? My goal is to have a whiter and brighter light on all my 52mm gauges, compared to factory.

I ordered white LED's, and yes the ones they call 74 wedge base (so the 74-x bulbs, where x is the color, in my case white). That was before they had the higher power 74-xHP listed. I need to make another order anyway, so I think I'll order some of them and try them out.

Brighter and less heat were my original goals, not necessarily whiter. If whiter was my goal I would have been very unhappy. I tried some #74 whites and some #74 greens, and both were dimmer in the gauge than the old incandescent bulbs. The green were way too green and dim, completely unreadable. The whites (which are of course closer to blue than an incandescent bulb) were very blue once they were in the gauge. I think the green filter in the gauges contributes to the blue, maybe you can remove that, I've never tried.
If the new brigher 74-WHP bulbs are the same color temp as the old 74-W bulbs but brighter I think they will work for you if you replace every bulb with led's (so you don't see a blueish led lighted gauge next to a stock green gauge). I'm going to try them out. The specs I linked above show them as the same color temp.

Also beam angle was a bit of an issue. In the longer gauges (ambient temp, clock) the led's spread their light much more than the short gauges (oil press, volts). It wasn't any brighter, just more even. Again the new brighter ones have a wider beam, so maybe they work better.

psy
01-25-2008, 08:51 PM
no your right they are for the instrument cluster sorry thought you needed those as well.

DecalServiceBrett
01-25-2008, 09:03 PM
pic's of these leds in a setup?