PDA

View Full Version : 60-1 install almost complete

242Bleek
01-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Since I saw thelostartof made a thread about his unordinary turbo, I might as well show you mine. Here is the vid of it running again for the first time in over 6 weeks. No DP yet, I found out minutes after I shot the vid that my MAP hose where it feeds into the firewall was kinked which is why is didn't want to rev and ran poopy.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/41NjaKT5SiY"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/41NjaKT5SiY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

242Bleek
01-26-2008, 09:37 PM
I would also like suggestions on what I should do for an air intake. The inlet is 4", I would like to make it out of alumium pipe but that takes up too much room. I was considering some of that flexible hose. Any good to that?

shaved240
01-26-2008, 09:50 PM
car should haul ass with a good turbo now

Jordan
01-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Do yourself and your fawking AWESOME car a huge favor!!! Buy some SEM vynil paint and get your interior black!

242Bleek
01-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Do yourself and your fawking AWESOME car a huge favor!!! Buy some SEM vynil paint and get your interior black!

But my car has leather seats? I'll likely take em out and put in some sort of racing seat to lose weight. Could I piant the door panels black with it? I got a crack free black dash now so maybe im on to something.

DaytonAE86
01-26-2008, 10:28 PM
I would also like suggestions on what I should do for an air intake. The inlet is 4", I would like to make it out of alumium pipe but that takes up too much room. I was considering some of that flexible hose. Any good to that?

That 60-1 might suck enough air to collapse any flexible tubing. If I were you, I'd use some 4 inch aluminum tubing. Cut small slits if you have to bend it to clear something, and you won't have to worry about it crimping up. The only problem is finding someone to weld aluminum cheap. You could just slap a filter right on the inlet:-P

242Bleek
01-26-2008, 10:33 PM
That 60-1 might suck enough air to collapse any flexible tubing. If I were you, I'd use some 4 inch aluminum tubing. Cut small slits if you have to bend it to clear something, and you won't have to worry about it crimping up. The only problem is finding someone to weld aluminum cheap. You could just slap a filter right on the inlet:-P

I found some really nice pre TIG'd 4" aluminum sections on ebay, but my coolant resivor hose drops right down in front of the turbo inlet. I might need to find a longer hose.

DecalServiceBrett
01-26-2008, 10:35 PM
that turbo ingests fetuses plucked freshly from undelivered mothers when sp00led..

DurableSwedish
01-26-2008, 10:51 PM
how loud was the car with no exhaust on it?

Jordan
01-26-2008, 10:51 PM
But my car has leather seats? I'll likely take em out and put in some sort of racing seat to lose weight. Could I piant the door panels black with it? I got a crack free black dash now so maybe im on to something.

Dude, I painted my rear vynil type leather seat with it. It works so ****ing awesome. Door panels, dash boards, you can even paint cloth with it. I did. Just clean the hell out of whatever you are painting. If its vynil, leather, or smooth type stuff clean it with laquer thinner then paint it. Works best in a warm (60 F) otherwise it clouds. But it works great. It doesnt rub off even after people sliding in and out of the back seat. There is a semi gloss/satin finish that looks great. My interior was that baby poop tan too but now its all black/dark blue (damn trick lighting).

But be warned, it'll be noticably warmer inside. Like, 8-12 degrees on a warm day warmer.

MrBill
01-26-2008, 11:00 PM
looks good :nod:

242Bleek
01-26-2008, 11:02 PM
how loud was the car with no exhaust on it?

Hella loud but the fumes were worse. I might want to actually run some kind of straight through rice muffler on the car this time. 3 in open pipe is just too damn loud, plus I want to be able to hear that external wg when it dumps into the atmosphere:cool:

Nick
01-27-2008, 11:20 AM
lol, this car is freaking great

As always, the short/no downpipe experience is a great one.

The Aspirator
01-27-2008, 02:00 PM
plus I want to be able to hear that external wg when it dumps into the atmosphere:cool:You'll hear it, exhaust or not :-D. Is it just open dump right now or do you have a few inches of pipe after it? I found that open dump off the wastegate sounded really uneven and nasty, but putting 12" of pipe after it (still open dump) sounded waaaay better. Smoother.

RvolvoR
01-27-2008, 02:19 PM
You'll hear it, exhaust or not :-D. Is it just open dump right now or do you have a few inches of pipe after it? I found that open dump off the wastegate sounded really uneven and nasty, but putting 12" of pipe after it (still open dump) sounded waaaay better. Smoother.

We found that we didnt hear it on hockey's car when we ran open DP for the first night we had the setup back together on it.

The Aspirator
01-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Alrighty, so I guess wrong hahaha.

242Bleek
01-27-2008, 06:49 PM
You'll hear it, exhaust or not :-D. Is it just open dump right now or do you have a few inches of pipe after it? I found that open dump off the wastegate sounded really uneven and nasty, but putting 12" of pipe after it (still open dump) sounded waaaay better. Smoother.

The wg sits so low already, the longest dump pipe I can fit is maybe 4 or 5 inches, and thats pushing it. Something is better than nothing though.

YLD244
01-28-2008, 04:11 AM
The wg sits so low already, the longest dump pipe I can fit is maybe 4 or 5 inches, and thats pushing it. Something is better than nothing though.

yeah mine has about a 4" section of pipe on the dump, and sounds nice and smooth.

4" inlet pipe and donuts to weld with can be difficult to find, and the silicon hose in 4" can be expensive.

Alex Buchka
01-28-2008, 04:20 AM
Go on mcmaster and search for vacuum hose. I think it's around page 250 of the catalog.

TerribleOne
01-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Man.. I wish I wasn't on dialup.. Nice lookin snail.

Da_Snake
01-28-2008, 10:07 AM

Just get a 4" hose with a steelspiral in it, you find them on weldingoutlets in mechanicalshops etc. They usually have some leftovers or spares to sell, works great for us.
http://www.garaget.org/archive/70242/67816/67816-618021.jpg

242Bleek
01-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Go on mcmaster and search for vacuum hose. I think it's around page 250 of the catalog.

Speakin of vacuum hose. I need to find some that don't flatten under high temps. I just ran the car for about 30min and the wg and MAP hoses look like unerect fire hoses.

RvolvoR
01-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Speakin of vacuum hose. I need to find some that don't flatten under high temps. I just ran the car for about 30min and the wg and MAP hoses look like unerect fire hoses.

use braided stainless if needed

rallyvovo
01-28-2008, 06:38 PM
use braided stainless if needed

napa actually sells nice silicone line ive found. its this orange color, but its good stuff and usually on the shelf.

YLD244
01-28-2008, 07:26 PM
napa actually sells nice silicone line ive found. its this orange color, but its good stuff and usually on the shelf.

yep good quality silicon hose is the only way to go for important stuff like boost control and MAP sensors.

Its pretty cheap these days too. I only paid like $10 per metre to do mine.
so why risk using regular rubber for that price.

BDKR
01-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Wow! That 60-1 looks good in there. More room then I expected.

242Bleek
01-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Wow! That 60-1 looks good in there. More room then I expected.

There is no room, trust me. I can't even slide my pinky between the side of the compressor housing and the #1 exhaust runner. About a quarter inch from the strut tower. This is about the biggest turbo you can fit on a 90+/240. This eastwood header paint seems to be holding up great! Unlike the ****ty ass POR 20 that peeled off the second I started the car.

BDKR
01-29-2008, 09:46 AM
There is no room, trust me. I can't even slide my pinky between the side of the compressor housing and the #1 exhaust runner. About a quarter inch from the strut tower. This is about the biggest turbo you can fit on a 90+/240. This eastwood header paint seems to be holding up great! Unlike the ****ty ass POR 20 that peeled off the second I started the car.

Well, you got it in there at least. But what about when the engine moves around on it's mounts? Think there may be some contact?

740ATL
01-29-2008, 09:50 AM
What RPM do you plan on revving to?

242Bleek
01-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Well, you got it in there at least. But what about when the engine moves around on it's mounts? Think there may be some contact?

I got diesel mounts so it don't move much. I have a pretty safe margin for error, it shouldn't hit.

242Bleek
01-29-2008, 03:59 PM
What RPM do you plan on revving to?

It will go to 7400 just fine and thats where the limiter is set, but I seldom take it that high.

740ATL
01-29-2008, 04:26 PM
It will go to 7400 just fine and thats where the limiter is set, but I seldom take it that high.

You mean you'll just be breaking past the surge line at 7400? Just curious why you picked so large of a turbo for so small an engine. Seriously tho... you're not going to make it to the right of the surge line till at least 5000rpm with that turbo. Perhaps if you explained your reasoning, I'd understand what your intentions were.

242Bleek
01-29-2008, 04:34 PM
You mean you'll just be breaking past the surge line at 7400? Just curious why you picked so large of a turbo for so small an engine. Seriously tho... you're not going to make it to the right of the surge line till at least 5000rpm with that turbo. Perhaps if you explained your reasoning, I'd understand what your intentions were.

I knew this before I bought it, and I know this compressor design is by no means ideal for an 8v head. This is more of an experiment because to my knowledge no one has ever put one of these on a redblock. Though I have seen this same turbo used on a 8V 2.0 GTI and it did great. If it turns out to be a surge whore, i'll just sell it and buy something tried and true, no big deal.

MrBill
01-29-2008, 04:59 PM
I knew this before I bought it, and I know this compressor design is by no means ideal for an 8v head. This is more of an experiment because to my knowledge no one has ever put one of these on a redblock. Though I have seen this same turbo used on a 8V 2.0 GTI and it did great. If it turns out to be a surge whore, i'll just sell it and buy something tried and true, no big deal.

dibs

YLD244
01-29-2008, 07:46 PM

dont worry dude, this turbo will be fine on your motor.
Its basically the plain bearing version of my turbo which works fine for me.

242Bleek
01-29-2008, 09:30 PM
dont worry dude, this turbo will be fine on your motor.
Its basically the plain bearing version of my turbo which works fine for me.

Thanks, I was thinking about your car and was hoping you would chime in.

740ATL
01-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Well... I guess I don't believe him... I've driven cars with smaller turbos of that size range that fall flat on their face until you reach 4500rpm. I don't see how yours will be any different. I wish you the best of luck tho.

242Bleek
02-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Here is a little preveiw of how the car behaves with this turbo. Boost starts to build around 4k rpm and I have full boost by like 4700, it's crazy. I was driving the car all tore down with no DP in this vid, boost set to 14 PSI. I didn't push it too hard beacuse the temp rises a good amount when I hold the revs too long. You can kinda hear the wg open if you listen closely

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T8AYKgEoV8I"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T8AYKgEoV8I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

pat244ti
02-07-2008, 10:16 PM

Use silicone brake ducting - should have a brass ring that runs around it to keep it from collapsing, comes in 4'' too.

I forgot what I paid for mine but it was more than enough - I actually might have enough left over for another if you're interested, but I'd have to measure/double check.

Nick
02-07-2008, 10:37 PM
lol @ turbo light

A little more laggy than I could bear, but you'll have amazing top end.

242Bleek
02-07-2008, 10:52 PM
lol @ turbo light

A little more laggy than I could bear, but you'll have amazing top end.

lol I know, the turbo light must have somehow reattached itself when I put the new dash in, I love it. Top end is where it's at, it NEVER runs out of breath which is what I love about it.

stylngle2003
02-07-2008, 10:53 PM
you need a friend to hold the camera, lol

i dont think i could wait till 4700 on a redblock for full boost, but it sounds nice

YLD244
02-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Yeah i told you that thing would be fine.
you can always go to .63 exhaust if you want more midrange, and wanna keep your top end.

242Bleek
02-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Yeah i told you that thing would be fine.
you can always go to .63 exhaust if you want more midrange, and wanna keep your top end.

:oops: This is a .63 exhaust

242Bleek
02-07-2008, 11:00 PM
you need a friend to hold the camera, lol

i dont think i could wait till 4700 on a redblock for full boost, but it sounds nice

My friend Mike has been over the last 2 days when the car wasn't running, now that it is he has to work. How ironic. When I really stretch it out and add more boost i'll find someone to hold the camera

The Aspirator
02-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Wait wait wait, you're wearing SHORTS? I'm wearing two sweaters and I can't back the car out of the garage cause the snow drift is to high. You suck.

Turbo sounds great though man!

John

242Bleek
02-08-2008, 01:12 AM
Wait wait wait, you're wearing SHORTS? I'm wearing two sweaters and I can't back the car out of the garage cause the snow drift is to high. You suck.

Turbo sounds great though man!

John

No shoes, no shirt, no problem. It's hot as hell, and iv'e never seen snow before.:cool:

plantationwalrus
02-08-2008, 02:07 AM
I wonder what this would be like with a K cam... :oogle:

YLD244
02-08-2008, 02:17 AM
I wonder what this would be like with a K cam... :oogle:

$hithouse, the thing would spool even later, and have even less low end.
KG2t FTW.

YLD244
02-08-2008, 02:19 AM
:oops: This is a .63 exhaust

hmmm that is strange. i thought you were running .82.
Yeah that is wierd, cause i can make around 2psi at 3000rpm and 20psi by around 3700.

maybe its the 90+ and plain bearing holding it back a bit.

242Bleek
02-08-2008, 07:48 AM
hmmm that is strange. i thought you were running .82.
Yeah that is wierd, cause i can make around 2psi at 3000rpm and 20psi by around 3700.

maybe its the 90+ and plain bearing holding it back a bit.

Thats likely what it is, if thats true then the BB stuff really does help.