PDA

View Full Version : Zorst.

Typhoon
01-29-2008, 06:56 AM
I needed to replace both mufflers for registration inspection, so the opportunity presented itself for a cat back system. I wil deal with a downpipe and new cat at sme stage in teh future.
It's a 2.5" system, and the spec was to make it as free flowing as possible, with a reasonable note. 2.5" suits my power goals nicely.
If you look closely, they are not mandrel bends, but by keeping the angles shallow, they've done a good job of it. Also note the over axle pipe looks like it would hit the axle, but it's a perspective thing. There's plenty of clearance there, but the pipe doesn't head miles up into the underbody for no reason like the old system.
The muffler is a light truck unit, straight through (no baffles, but an absorbtion pipe and packing). Truck mufflers are good value, well made, free flowing and quite affordable. You're not paying for a brand name and advertising in car magazines!
The rear muffler was discussed, but we decided to leave it off pending road tests (it would be easy to put one on later). The car is fine without it, no droning, nice sound at idle and below 3000 rpm, nothing special at higher rpms, just noise (typical four banger). Teh sound would be fine for a daily driver.
Their work is first class, look at the welds, the neat but simple hanger solutions etc. Nice tip, kind of classy, but not ricer. I like it so far!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/typhoonpud/Volvo/Exhaust002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/typhoonpud/Volvo/Exhaust001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/typhoonpud/Volvo/Exhaust003.jpg

Regards, Andrew.

Typhoon
01-29-2008, 11:27 PM
O.K, I've been for a bit of a drive today, and it's a BIG improvement. More midrange torque, faster spool, a bit more boost as you'd expect. Not obnoxiously loud, but still a nice sound.
I'd say it's taken a second off 0-100 km/h, and overtaking is much easier now. The breathlessness over 4.5k is gone. I can't wait to sort out that stock cat and downpipe if this is the result from a cat back.
For a mild daily driver, 2.5" is just fine!

Regards, Andrew.

ashvolvo
01-30-2008, 12:04 AM
O.K, I've been for a bit of a drive today, and it's a BIG improvement. More midrange torque, faster spool, a bit more boost as you'd expect. Not obnoxiously loud, but still a nice sound.
I'd say it's taken a second off 0-100 km/h, and overtaking is much easier now. The breathlessness over 4.5k is gone. I can't wait to sort out that stock cat and downpipe if this is the result from a cat back.
For a mild daily driver, 2.5" is just fine!

Regards, Andrew.

Looks like a nice system.
There are some decent exhaust places around that do great work. We always push customers enquiring about 'bolt on' aftermarket kits such as the IPD/TME stuff to a decent local exhaust place instead. The fit is ALWAYS better and being hand-made they're neater as they're made to the individual car rather than the kit stuff.
Ignoring the obvious value for money factors, of course.

If you could let us know what area you're in and the exhaust place you used, that would be handy - we get enquiries from customers all over the place and its nice to know and suggest places interstate that do good work.

Typhoon
01-30-2008, 01:15 AM
I had it done at Fyshwick Exhaust, 2/129 Newcastle St Fyshwick ACT. Phone 6280 4336. Cost $440.
They do all sorts of performance gear, as well as standard style replacement stuff.
The work I saw on the hoists when in there was great, even on stockish replacement gear, and the hi performance stuff looked great.
The best part is they listened to what I wanted, gave it to me, kept to their quoted price and had it dne on time.

Regards, Andrew.

ashvolvo
01-30-2008, 08:48 AM
handy to know.
I didnt realise you were in the ACT. Will have to say hello in person when we're next visiting.

Disco Inferno
01-30-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm surprised Fyshwick contains any good shops, the Mac1 store there is possibly the worst in Australia, and blends in nicely with its surroundings... :-P

Bishop
01-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Looks good, but $440 for cat back with one muffler?.

Disco Inferno
01-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Yeeeah when I got my 2.5" cat-back(back in the day:-P), it was only something like $280...

Bishop
01-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Mine was like $220 on the 760T, and that had two mufflers...

To be fair though it's the ACT?, and I remember someone bitching about exhaust shop prices there.

Typhoon
01-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Mine was like $220 on the 760T, and that had two mufflers...

To be fair though it's the ACT?, and I remember someone bitching about exhaust shop prices there.

Yeah, and you seem to get absurdly low prices on everything. Go on, tell us now how it was mate's rates or similar.
Whoever charged you $220 lost money at normal retail prices.

Regards, Andrew.

Bishop
01-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Although I have had a few exhaust bits/systems done by them, there was no mate rate or trade price, the key here could be in the past, it's been a while since I had the 760T.

More recently they quoted me about $200 for mild pressed, or $300+ stainless mandrel, using mufflers I already own, but even that quote dates back a bit.
Anywhere now will be more expensive, last I heard world steel prices are still going up.

It is also a shop issue, if you check some Australian forums you find we have massive variations in pricing, it's not uncommon to be quoted $700 for a system at one shop, and then get a $400 quote elsewhere, it sucks.

And yes, I'm guilty of being cheap, which means I walk away from a lot from quotes, and shop around heaps, you probably don't want to know what I paid for my Magnaflow mufflers and 3 inch cat...

YLD244
01-31-2008, 02:17 AM
Awesome dude, looks like a quality job there.

2.5" pressbent hmmmm. Hope you dont planning on adding any more power later. Otherwise you will have to shell out for another system.
Also that price is a bit on the high side, but not too bad, however you would expect a downpipe also for that price.

Typhoon
02-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Although I have had a few exhaust bits/systems done by them, there was no mate rate or trade price, the key here could be in the past, it's been a while since I had the 760T.

That could be it.
I used to use a good exhaust place in Gladesville in Sydney, had three dual exhausts put on various cars for around the $500 mark (10-15 years ago now). Dual systems seem to be $800-1000 now. Went there with a Skyline for a single 2.5 system some years later (same owners), and they wanted $650!
So no, I don't believe in being loyal to a particular company anymore.
As for teh zorst maybe beign too small later, well, I don't have plans much beyond some extra boost and chips. The press bends aren't that bad as I said, as they kept the angles down. It's only when you start getting into tight 90 degree bends that mandrel bending really shines.

Regards, Andrew.