PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable timing gears-16V

MikeSr.
02-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Has anyone actually put adjustable gears on their 16v? How are they working out? The reason I ask is- 5cyl motors have produced some impressive torque gains- up to 40 ft/lbs with just cam timing adjustments. Could 16V redblock motors also have similar benefit?

And- why do adjustable gears for Volvo cost so much? Honda guys can get them uber cheep.

linuxman51
02-01-2008, 12:10 PM
cause honda stuff is mass produced. I imagine you could see gains, I stopped messing with mine when I grazed all 8 exhaust valves by playing with dale's

340GL
02-01-2008, 12:10 PM
honda guys can get them so cheap because the aftermarket for hondas is like, a million times bigger than other cars. volvo's aren't generally seen as cars that people modify

gear whine
02-01-2008, 01:19 PM
this should be in performance and suspension, not showroom.

volvo-slyder
02-01-2008, 02:22 PM
i jsut put on Some TTR gears engine not running yet but they look good ...lol

MikeSr.
02-01-2008, 03:50 PM
cause honda stuff is mass produced. I imagine you could see gains, I stopped messing with mine when I grazed all 8 exhaust valves by playing with dale's

Any dyno results? Curious if this might be worth trying.

Yep- oops- should've been in performance.

linuxman51
02-01-2008, 04:09 PM
seemed to spool up faster, butt dyno didn't notice a huge difference tho.

thelostartof
02-01-2008, 04:11 PM

pussy

I bent all 8v of the valves in my head .... all 4 intake and all 4 exhaust ... oh yea

linuxman51
02-01-2008, 04:18 PM
pussy

I bent all 8v of the valves in my head .... all 4 intake and all 4 exhaust ... oh yea

slow ass bitch, get that sled in the 12's

Lucky the Smiling Pirate
02-01-2008, 04:21 PM
haha you got told!

linuxman51
02-01-2008, 04:39 PM
haha you got told!

in a minute he's going to bitch that its my fault because I have his valvebody...

thelostartof
02-01-2008, 04:45 PM
in a minute he's going to bitch that its my fault because I have his valvebody...

it very much is (my excuse for now)... now get working on it hoe bag

frpe82
02-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Has anyone actually put adjustable gears on their 16v? How are they working out? The reason I ask is- 5cyl motors have produced some impressive torque gains- up to 40 ft/lbs with just cam timing adjustments. Could 16V redblock motors also have similar benefit?

And- why do adjustable gears for Volvo cost so much? Honda guys can get them uber cheep.
Yeah, depending on the cams and all, the overlap can be adjusted to a much nicer setting (if we are talking turbo use here). The intake and exhaust opening time can of course also be modified with good results.

But when playing with it, don't go too far off the original setting since the valves are pretty close to the pistons as they are.

It is not needed for power though, but it might help with where the powerband starts and ends.

EDIT:// Oh... how are the 16vT chips working out for ya?

MikeSr.
02-02-2008, 12:49 AM
I have some stage 0 stuff to sort out before the +t with chips go in. I have to do the timing belt,tensioners and all the pulleys, plus seals. But the intercooler is in, 3" amm is in and LH likes it. I have the large throttle body from 960 also and CFI's@46lbs. I have B204ft intake already ported to match. This stuff should get sorted out soon I hope. Mikey has to build the downpipe. Several other typical +t things to hurdle. Biggest problem is time. Working a lot of overtime these days. But i hope to have it going soon. May have to have a call out to all the ATL guys for a +t weekend again. We have done a few of those before.