PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Downpipe for the Holset & IC install

Captain Bondo
02-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Just a few pics of the stainless downpipe I made for the project. It's been a while since I last welded thinner stainless (this is 16ga 304, so not super thin, but it's a bit of a different approach vs. the 1/8" thick sched 10 I have been doing lately):

Welding up the last elbow:

http://www.pbase.com/capnbondo/image/92499405/large.jpg

A weld:
http://www.pbase.com/capnbondo/image/92499408/large.jpg

You can see the heat affected done is fairly small and fairly even, which means the weld should be nice and even with only the amount of heat added to fuse the two pieces adequately.

It looks a little "dirty" becuase I am using Solar Flux B on the backside of the weld instead of backpurging.

When you are welding stainless with 100% penetration, you need to cover the backside of the weld becuase oxygen will get in and contaminate it. The solar flux works really well, but is does wick up into the puddle a tiny bit.

Here is a pic of the inside, it makes a bit of a mess and it is a pita to remove:

http://www.pbase.com/capnbondo/image/92499412/large.jpg

Overall I like it though. For something absolutely show quality I'd use argon, but for most things it is really handy and allows a very sound weld.

Here it is finished (minus the pipe that will be added for the wastegate of course.) Notice how straight of a shot it is vs. a stock downpipe (this is thanks to the improved turbo placement vs. stock):
http://www.pbase.com/capnbondo/image/92499410/large.jpg

Some in the engine bay:

http://www.pbase.com/capnbondo/image/92499413/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/capnbondo/image/92499415/large.jpg

I love these under-the-car ones, gives an idea of just how exactly everything had to be fabricated so that it all fits:

http://www.pbase.com/capnbondo/image/92499419/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/capnbondo/image/92499422/large.jpg

Well I call that enough for now. I'll post the intercooler stuff later.

Cheers!

RedFridge
02-03-2008, 08:29 PM
F--in Beautiful work.

seelighc
02-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Very nice!

DaytonAE86
02-03-2008, 11:42 PM
:drool: :drool: ....... when its done, I think its pretty safe to say that it could be TurboBricks "God" car.....

thelostartof
02-04-2008, 12:04 AM
looks killer .. but why so small

Captain Bondo
02-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Hah thanks guys.

Mike I hear ya, bigger than 3" would have been cool.

I went back and forth on if a 4" downpipe would be doable or not, but the truth is, in its current state I don't plan on more than 400hp, and space is at a MAJOR premium, and on top of that the car is rediculously low. :rofl:

Also, remember that I still need to cram a wastegate in there and attach a wastegate dumptube to it. :wtf:

If I ever re-vamp the setup it will get a full 4", but that will be with a different turbo, header, and transmission. And I will modify the body/firewall as needed to keep the format efficient and ground clearance at a maximum. :-D

thelostartof
02-04-2008, 12:47 AM
3.5" and then oval it once you get under the car?

big pipe makes top end so stupid

2fast242gt
02-04-2008, 01:02 AM
i just got a boner 8=======>

volvoluvin
02-04-2008, 01:12 AM
Awesome Kenny...totally...awesome...

B Mac66
02-04-2008, 01:33 AM
I wish I had any part of my car that shiny :lol:

Captain Bondo
02-04-2008, 01:41 AM
3.5" and then oval it once you get under the car?

big pipe makes top end so stupid

Knowing me, by the time I managed to finish mutilating the 3.5" elbow so it'd fit it'd probably flow the same as a 3". :lol::-P

Sticking a 4 "V-Band flange onto a 3" pipe definitely makes it look small though. I remember the first time I got a 3" exhaust how huge it seemed... oh the days of innocence. :lol:

Oh and Bmac, don't worry about the shininess, you can barely see it in there, pretty much a waste to even polish it, except that I have to clean it to weld it so I just do it for the pics (you thought I was gonna say I do it for the ladies didn't ya? :rofl:) since it isn't much more work.

I wish I could take better pics. Half of the point of this car is to make/document some samples of my fab work with the intent of starting a business.

Ah well, hopefully I can get some customers with better photography skills in order to better present myself. :rofl: I guess the custom jobs will come from local folks who see the stuff in person at shows and etc anyways.

Gene_GaTech
02-04-2008, 01:44 AM
well done sir!

Vol242vo
02-04-2008, 01:46 AM
i just got a boner 8=======>

Jesus Christ you have a pointy wiener! uu=======D

Anywho, that should hum nicely!

volvoluvin
02-04-2008, 01:59 AM
Ah well, hopefully I can get some customers with better photography skills in order to better present myself. :rofl: I guess the custom jobs will come from local folks who see the stuff in person at shows and etc anyways.
Looking forward to being that loud local vocal.. :clap:

stefanapolis
02-04-2008, 02:31 AM
Jesus Christ you have a pointy wiener! uu=======D

Gazer!

the poi
02-04-2008, 03:37 AM
Crikey. That's beautiful work Kenny

dirtbike
02-04-2008, 07:03 PM
That's a nice pipe Mr!

Couldn't you tee in a fitting from your argon torch feed for backpurging?
Tape up both ends and poke the tee through one end of the tape so that the inside of the tube is full of argon.

Looks awesome as ever, keep up the good work Kenny.
Laters
Nick

Captain Bondo
02-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys!

Dirtbike,

Yup, I could do that and I do do that, when necessary.

With a big pipe like this though it uses a lot of ga$, so the flux is really handy.

The Aspirator
02-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Hero.

amargill19?
02-05-2008, 12:21 PM
:omg:

lookin' pimp g'd as usual.

must be pretty close to done now, eh kenny?

I remember reading a thread a while back sayin' how you wanted the project done by the day you were married, 'spose that's like most of us with projects..

gear whine
02-05-2008, 12:34 PM
did you tig weld that?

awesome job!!

SquareD
02-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Nice work Kenny. The hulkster is going to live up to it's name, fo sho.

stylngle2003
02-05-2008, 05:17 PM
i'm going to bust out a southpark reference.... "gad i hate you kenny"

looks great

Captain Bondo
02-06-2008, 02:56 AM
:oops:

Thanks again guys. Damn it is freezing cold in Vancouver these days. It is brutal trying to get anything done because it is just so cold in the garage. The space heaters aren't cutting it.

I need a gas heater...

Amar,

I can't believe I thought I'd get it done by last summer! I am really shooting for this summer though. I *think* that is realistic, at least to have it driveable even if it is missing a few things still.

Gear Whine,

Yes this was done with TIG- by far the easiest way to do a decent job on lighter gauges of stainless.

I have to admit I've been feeling off my tig game though- I am still adjusting to the new welder a bit I think. Only have a couple hours on it so far.

Lots of fun when I'm not frezzing my bawls off anyways!:cool:

hockey930
02-06-2008, 08:52 AM
very nice my friend, good work

EricF
02-06-2008, 09:14 AM
(In Howard Cosell voice) Truly inspirational!

Glad to see this thing keeps coming together Kenny.

Rust Reaper
02-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Show us the IC install ken!

That or I'll have to drive out and see it myself!

qwkswede
02-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Dang, I love all the teaser pictures on this project.

I gotta shop ebay and find myself some solar flux B I guess. I keep threatening to buy it. But I go to the welding store. $25 to refill my argon tank. And the Solar Flux is like $40 for a small pint size container. I'm just cheap I guess.

so, what kind of residue does the Solar Flux leave behind? Do you suppose it would be harmful to turbine blades if it flaked off from the inside of a header?

Captain Bondo
02-08-2008, 01:00 AM
Yes it seems expensive, but a pint will last you a lifetime. You would probably use a couple of tablespoons of it for a whole header.

It's not like it is a paste like solder flux. It is a powder you mix with methyl hydrate.

I don't think it forms anything that could hurt a turbine honestly.

I am kinda unimpressed with the ic install. I'm thinking about scratching the idea and doing an ebay ic....

Wagner
02-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Nice quality work again. This is one car i would really like to see in person once it's finished.

YLD244
02-09-2008, 04:44 AM
Far out, that must have been the easiest DP ever to build. I cant believe how much room there is with that thing!!
My DP required at least 8 pieces welded together to get it to clear everything.

gambym
02-09-2008, 05:33 AM
Crikey. That's beautiful work Kenny

quite nice

amargill19?
02-09-2008, 06:50 AM
My DP required at least 8 pieces welded together to get it to clear everything.

I bet that steering shaft on the wrong side really makes it a beehatch, eh?

Captain Bondo
02-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Ya I had to choose initially whether to mount the turbo ahead of or behind the strut tower.

I originally wanted to put it behind (place the weight further back), but decided to mount it ahead because I need that space for the wastegate.

But the low mount also helps a lot as the downpipe can be a lot "straighter".

The simple design will also make integrated the wastegate pipes easier.