PDA

View Full Version : Which head unit for me?

m4ff3w
02-04-2008, 09:29 AM
So the Wagon accidentally got left unlocked last night and some ****er stole the radio. The radio was a piece of **** Alpine from c.1992. I wasn't that upset with it, but the also stole the damned panel the radio goes into. Everything from the fuse cover up to the climate control.

So I need a new stereo panel and a new radio.

I'd like something that plays MP3s (disc, usb, or SD card) and can use tags, not just play though folders and I'd like something that is more OEM looking (like the older Blaupunkts always used to be)

I don't run subs or anything and don't listen to a whole lot of music -mostly ljust news, but when I go for a long drive I do appreciate some music.

m4ff3w
02-04-2008, 09:49 AM
It looks like some of the Becker headunits are exactly what I am looking for, except they cost waaaay to much.

84 Blue 240
02-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Nakamichi? Looks classy and has good sound. I had a lower end Pioneer for a while that looked pretty good in the lower dash. It wasn't super flashy, but sounded very nice. Wanna go high end---McIntosh FTW!!!

RockVegas
02-04-2008, 10:27 AM
You mostly listen to radio..... occasionally listen to mp3s.

A damn $90 walmart Sony would do you fine. If you only listen to music on long trips, you can use a CD with MP3s. It'll hold probably 200 songs, you just put it on shuffle. That'll net you about 10 hours of music I think.

Let me know if you figure out he panel situation. I'd like to add a gauge cluster to mine, don't know how to swing it yet and still have the fuses accessible.

Homer
02-04-2008, 10:42 AM
As if I don't post this picture enough lol.
http://homer.turbomorley.net/gallery/d/1254-2/DSCN2854.JPG

Blaupunkt New York RDM 127

HRPufNStuf
02-04-2008, 12:59 PM
You mostly listen to radio..... occasionally listen to mp3s.

A damn $90 walmart Sony would do you fine. If you only listen to music on long trips, you can use a CD with MP3s. It'll hold probably 200 songs, you just put it on shuffle. That'll net you about 10 hours of music I think.

Let me know if you figure out he panel situation. I'd like to add a gauge cluster to mine, don't know how to swing it yet and still have the fuses accessible.

I was at Walmart last night and they are currently liquidating all their current Sony stereo stuff. I picked up a set of 4 way Sony Xplode 5 1/4" for $40, the actual head units were all about 30% off as well. I feel this stuff is fine for those who are not insane audiofiles....
I don't know if you could swing the same gage cluster design I used for my 780, but the dimensions shouldn't be too differnent.
http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r33/purchasepwr/?action=view&current=gage6.jpg

lysolvolvo
02-04-2008, 03:22 PM
blau or jvc exad/arsenal for cost per factor... old alpines are better than new alpines. bounce.

njbrickwithboost
02-04-2008, 03:48 PM
If you want sound quality and performance, Alpine Bar-none for head units. If you want something OEM looking, go for Jensen...

84 Blue 240
02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
If you want sound quality and performance, Alpine Bar-none for head units. If you want something OEM looking, go for Jensen...

LOL....you have a lot to learn, my child.

RvolvoR
02-04-2008, 04:00 PM
nak cd-300

Fake-R
02-04-2008, 04:13 PM

...HA. Alpine bar none? Their new stuff is **** when it comes to quality and performance. They're too caught up in sales anymore.

If you want something that will last, won't break the bank, and has alot of features, as well as good s.q. go with a Pioneer Premier, or Kenwood Excelron. If you use amps, be sure to get something with high-volt preouts. Ebay is great for finding a good unit.

here's a simple, cheap headunit, that should cover your needs:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=300&i=020D285USB&tp=5684

84 Blue 240
02-04-2008, 04:21 PM
...HA. Alpine bar none? Their new stuff is **** when it comes to quality and performance. They're too caught up in sales anymore.

If you want something that will last, won't break the bank, and has alot of features, as well as good s.q. go with a Pioneer Premier, or Kenwood Excelron. If you use amps, be sure to get something with high-volt preouts. Ebay is great for finding a good unit.

here's a simple, cheap headunit, that should cover your needs:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=300&i=020D285USB&tp=5684

You couldn't be more correct. I know a lot of the guys at my store had good things to say about Eclipse, but I don't know much about them, so I won't comment. I have yet to talk to an owner of a high end shop who doesn't recommend Pioneer Premier of his number 1 pick among the normal brands. In the upper echelon, it seems McIntosh and Denon get the top picks with Nakamichi being a cheaper alternative.

driven sydeways
02-04-2008, 04:21 PM
I personally stay away from sony, never had good luck with them. from what i have read, Nakamichis have some of the best radio reception, and sound quality while keeping a nice understated look. I like Alpine head units, I feel their quality has gone down hill in the last couple of years, especially when you factor price into the equation. for bang for your buck, features per price, I like pioneer decks. i have one in my toyota, and i love it. the menus are simple and when i lesten to radio its at least as good as most factory decks. I currently own an older kenwood head unit, which i like alot, simple but i think thats because its older, i tend to not like their new stuff as much. I have a clarion in my 242, just because it has a front aux. jack and i plug my satelite radio into it. i think its the worst deck i have ever had. it works fine, but i can feel how cheap it is by pressing the buttons. I also got an older nakamichi (2000) from Tiebird that i went through, it doesnt read burned cds very well, and that is before they went to be able to read mp3's, shame there isint an aux input for it or that would be in my 242 right now, i love how it feels and looks, sound is supposed to be amazing too. just about all cd players now play mp3's, its the way of the market. hope you find something you are happy with

MikeHardy
02-04-2008, 04:47 PM
i'm currently thinking of selling my 802,cable and CD changer on ebay picking up a JVC KD-AVX1 used.
http://www.icebuyer.co.uk/kdavx1-dvd-cd-mp3-wma-player-cheapest-on-the-internet-p-11192.html
i like the idea of being able to have 1100 mp3's without having to change the disc, thats about 80albums.

84 Blue 240
02-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Stay away from Sony. Their car audio stuff is even worse than the rest of the **** they sell to unsuspecting consumers.

Krunk Fu
02-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Clarion FTW:-D

Cornercase
02-05-2008, 07:58 AM
nak cd-300
Word. I just got a CD-500. I'll post pics once it is installed, but initial tests sounds sweet!

Eamon

A-Rode
02-05-2008, 08:11 AM
buy my sony for cheap, tjen wait until you hvae the funds to get a way nicer one...

njbrickwithboost
02-05-2008, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=Brett245;1614488

[QUOTE]

I know a few people with Pioneer head units and all they have are problems with them...

I love my Alpine, but I'm not sure if its considered their new stuff...Its about 2 years old...its awesome though...

njbrickwithboost
02-05-2008, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=Brett245;1614488

[/QUOTE]

I know a few people with Pioneer head units and all they have are problems with them...

I love my Alpine, but I'm not sure if its considered their new stuff...Its about 2 years old...its awesome though

I had a nakamichi head unit in my Jetta and that thing would never work in the cold. I didn't know McIntosh made head units, I thought they just made amps...

njbrickwithboost
02-05-2008, 09:42 AM
OK Sorry about those^^^^My computer just froze a bunch of times....

CAPT_BLOTTO
02-05-2008, 11:41 AM
You couldn't be more correct. I know a lot of the guys at my store had good things to say about Eclipse, but I don't know much about them, so I won't comment. I have yet to talk to an owner of a high end shop who doesn't recommend Pioneer Premier of his number 1 pick among the normal brands. In the upper echelon, it seems McIntosh and Denon get the top picks with Nakamichi being a cheaper alternative.

That rockford fosgate denon receiver is impossible to find.

marchul
02-05-2008, 09:33 PM
You should get a.... MOMO steering wheel... to replace that radio...

Tenacious Todd
02-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Eclipse !!!

schaff70
02-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Clarion DB365USB

http://a763.g.akamai.net/7/763/1644/v0-2/app.infopia.com/img/image/fp/VPID/4560343/img0-2/img.jpg

Front & rear RCA's, rear RCA aux input, USB port on the front panel (256mb thumb drives are cheap)

Front Panel USB Input
Reads MP3 & WMA Files From Most USB 1.1 & USB 2.0 Sources
Accepts Memory Card Readers & Thumb Drives up to 1 GB
Handles up to 255 Files & up to 28-Character File Names
CD/MP3/WMA File Playback from CD-R/RW
MP3 & WMA Navigation with Folder Skip
ID3 Tag Display
Detachable Faceplate
Z-Enhancer Preset Equalizer
Rotary Encoder Volume Knob
Blue Negative LCD Display with Active Screen Savers
Ice Blue Button Illumination
8x Oversampling Digital Filter
Magna-Bass EX
50W x 4 (max) MOSFET Power
24 Station Presets (18 FM/6 AM)
Wireless Handheld Remote Control

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLARION-DB365USB-CAR-AUDIO-INDASH-CD-MP3-PLAYER-DECK_W0QQitemZ310014454102QQihZ021QQcategoryZ50558 QQcmdZViewItem?refid=store

Under $100 including shipping. I'm installing one in my wagon now.