PDA

View Full Version : Gauge Pod/Holder for lower location in a 240

Thor
02-04-2008, 11:15 PM
I was curious to know if anyone has ever made a gauge holder and mounted it in/on the lower location in a 240.

I though about moving my stereo down there but I hate that location because of how the shifter is blocking it. So if anyone has photos of one that they did and would like to share that would be great. I'm looking for ideas as to how i want to make one for mine.

Thanks all

drturbo
02-05-2008, 12:10 AM
I dunno Thor. Do you really want to take your eyes off the road to check gauges down that low?

I know of many who have deleted their center heater vents and used the Volvo 3-gauge cluster that fits in the spot above the heater vents. In fact, it fits with very little manipulation. However, you'll have to live with a bezel that is curved to fit the mounting point above the vents, and you'll have to cap off the heater vents.

Thor
02-05-2008, 12:51 PM
I figured it would be better to have the lesser important gauges (Volts, Oil Temp, O2 or oil pressure) down there instead of the stereo. To me i feel like i look at the stereo longer then the gauges when changing stations or CDs

Colli
02-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Lesser important gauges: OIL PRESSURE???

pwschuh
02-05-2008, 01:33 PM
I can't think of any gauges that are less important than a stereo. If I could, I certainly wouldn't install them in my car.

Bigscreen Bob
02-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Here's how a guy I know in the UK did it:

http://homepage.mac.com/stevemogg/240_files/240lrg3.jpg

I can ask him how he put this together.

Thor
02-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Lesser important gauges: OIL PRESSURE???

"O2 or oil pressure" cant decide which to put down there either one is important. Too lean and boom, not enough pressure and seize. course I make sure the idiot light is working. People don't seem to look at gauges some times but a light can get your attention sooner.

Thanks for the link Bigscreen Bob.

Jeh
02-06-2008, 12:40 AM
My Wife's VW has them down there as well. I would like to convert as well.

Bigscreen Bob
02-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Thor -

Here's what the guy in the UK whose photo you saw had to say:

<<The gauge pod is a combination of the DIN radio adapter you can get for the 240 and a 3 hold DIN gauge plate. Kind of like this;

Gauge plate similar to this; 360019666472
Radio adapter: 220084553907

Paste those numbers into Ebay and you should see what I am talking about.

I wanted to keep my stereo in the upper position as its much much easier to use up there - the gauges are easy to glance at occasionally in the lower position so it all works well I think.>>

OldSchoolEuro
02-06-2008, 11:25 AM
That is a damn good looking interior!

Bigscreen Bob
02-06-2008, 11:49 AM
OldSchoolEuro -- you'll enjoy his photo gallery:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=134

Notice he's put a 740 eggcrate grille on his 89 240.

Thor
02-06-2008, 12:48 PM
I'll have to look and see if I can find that radio and gauge pod stuff locally. Def a nice car though. I like how he painted the chrome above the headlights.

OldSchoolEuro
02-06-2008, 01:02 PM
OldSchoolEuro -- you'll enjoy his photo gallery:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=134

Notice he's put a 740 eggcrate grille on his 89 240.

That car is clean!! Thanks for showing me that. Now its giving me ideas what to do with my car!

Bigscreen Bob
02-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Thor --

FYI, he didn't paint the headlight or corner turn signal trims. They were manufactured black. Different part number from the chrome.

i don't know if that was offered in the US, but for E-code headlights and turns, you could get them in black or chrome. For my 1990 240's E-codes, I've got the OEM matte black trims, including the "L" shaped headlight trims with the piece that goes between the grille and headlight.

A-Rode
02-06-2008, 11:53 PM
I have been contemplating putting gauges there as well. I dont want to have to reach for the stereo down there....

I was thinking of picking up an adapter plate for a stereo, then making up my own fiberglass housings, turned up and at me, so they are easier to see.
If i find a plate in the JY oneday, im going to mock it up.

I have also thought about putting one in where the vent is next to the window, then routing the heat through a small directed outlet, pointing at the window.

or making up something to go in that corner, where the only thing is the little divot