PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to wear your brakes

Geoff240Ti
01-16-2003, 01:37 AM
I couldn't beleive they were this bad! no damage to rotor that i can tell.. I might resurface them anyway.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/251000-251999/251906_39_full.jpg

towerymt
01-16-2003, 03:05 AM
I should take a picture of the pad I saved from my rear brakes. One of the pistons seized and stuck the pad against the rotor. I kept driving the car, not knowing my pad was wearing away quickly. Then it went metal-to-metal and I still kept driving until the rotor was badly scored. The rotors were original, the pads were gone, and the calipers needed rebuilding, so I replaced it all (otherwise I wouldn't have kept driving on the bad pad).

boondoggie
01-16-2003, 09:10 AM
I gotcha beat:

Front 7-series brakes, the wonderful "c-clamp" design. The slider pins had locked up to that only the pistion-side pad was working, and it had worn down to nothing. (inboard pad 5% left, outboard 60%...)

I didn't realize the pins were siezed, and went to drop in new pads. I realized the pins were siezed and, not having the parts on hand, threw it back together, swapping inboard for outboard pads...

NEVER DO THIS!!! :nono: Stopping power was a little worse than if I had just used the parking brake to stop. :shock: I drove this way for a week until I got the parts to do it right... During this week, I wore away OVER HALF of the disc material on that side.... (luckily I had bought discs...)

towerymt
01-16-2003, 05:26 PM
Although not my car, I can top that one with a true story. :D

My dad works in service, and a customer came in with a "noise" among other problems. Turned out the noise was the rear brakes. The driver of the vehicle had worn through the pad material (noise probably starts here), through the pad backing plate, and had gotten all the way to at least one caliper piston per side! This explained the NASTY black crud caked down the back side of the vehicle...brake rotor grindings mixed with brake fluid! :eek: After replacing ALL of the rear brake components, the customer still asked if they had fixed the noise. :roll:

I have heard numerous stories about owners disregarding warning signs, but this was one of the dumbest.

700mopareater
01-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Yup, i've gone down to the rivets and scored the rotors. Not a good thing at all. Big $ on parts for such a stupid thing as a frozen pin

JamesDean
01-16-2003, 07:23 PM
yeah.. that just happened to me this past summer.... the driver's side rear rotor looked like a record... really stupid of me not to check the pads more often..

Jimmy