PDA

View Full Version : Long weekend...but +t is done...almost

gotboost
02-19-2008, 04:28 PM
So in a drunken moment on Friday night, My buddy and I decided that it would be cool to actually just do the +t I've been debating for a while on my 85 n/a 245. Actually everything was pretty easy, except for finding the fittings I needed for the oil feed lines. That took half the day on Saturday. Soooooooo....it's in and running great! I've been slowly venturing farther and farther from home, stoping to look for leaks every so often, and I think I've almost got her finished. I've solved a couple of coolant leaks already, and I have a small leak coming out of the oil feed line, but it is running great and has tons more power. I'm running ezk ignition and retarded the timing a smidge, so no problems with preignition either. My biggest problem now is the exhaust. I pulled a couple of hangers and got my n/a exhaust to bolt to the turbo downpipe, but they don't work very well together. The exhaust is kind of forced at an angle and I only have about two inches of ground clearance right now and it looks like hell. I guess I'll be busting out the sawzall and fabbing something up. Not a bad thing considering the fact that I'm running two catalytic converters and two mufflers right now. Can you say RESTRICTIVE!!! Anyways, got all the turbo guages except the oil pressure guage hooked up too. Check out my pics. The beige bomber got BOOST!!

MrBill
02-19-2008, 04:30 PM
that exhaust :lol:

So what do you plan on doing about the fuel/ignition stuff?

1980 242GT
02-19-2008, 04:31 PM
cool. are you using the n/a computers? I am gathering the parts to +T my b230f with lh2.2. I just wana do low boost like 5 psi or less.

thelostartof
02-19-2008, 04:37 PM
dude .. remove that gasket/donut between the turbo and downpipe .. you do NOT need that

gotboost
02-19-2008, 04:40 PM
that exhaust :lol:

So what do you plan on doing about the fuel/ignition stuff?

Yeah, the exhaust is rediculous right now, but I knew you guys would get a kick out of it. As far as the fuel and ignition, I'm not going to go anywhere beyond stock boost on this motor, as I already have the 83' 245ti that is being built rediculous-style. I'm running EZK out of a 740t, and I have the turbo lh2.2 computer out of the same car that I'm going to swap in, so I think I should be ok. Anybody got an opinion on this?

gotboost
02-19-2008, 04:42 PM
dude .. remove that gasket/donut between the turbo and downpipe .. you do NOT need that

Great....Now I find that out...after I wasted $6 on it!!:roll:

MrBill
02-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah, the exhaust is rediculous right now, but I knew you guys would get a kick out of it. As far as the fuel and ignition, I'm not going to go anywhere beyond stock boost on this motor, as I already have the 83' 245ti that is being built rediculous-style. I'm running EZK out of a 740t, and I have the turbo lh2.2 computer out of the same car that I'm going to swap in, so I think I should be ok. Anybody got an opinion on this?

so turbo 2.2 stuff?
You have greentops in there also?
seems fine to me

:lol: i thought there was something goofy with the turbo-to-downpipe

growley
02-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Why do you have two cats and two mufflers? Definitely chop it.

GhengisKhan
02-19-2008, 06:39 PM
How did you set up your oil feed lines? Also, what injectors and fuel computer did you use?

gotboost
02-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Why do you have two cats and two mufflers? Definitely chop it.
Because I just hooked the NA exhaust up to the turbo downpipe, which has a cat up by the turbo. So, turbo cat, n/a cat, and the two mufflers out back. I just hooked it up so I could test drive it and make sure everything was ok.

volvo740t
02-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Talk about super quiet...

...and no spooling haha cut that shiz out

gotboost
02-19-2008, 06:47 PM
How did you set up your oil feed lines? Also, what injectors and fuel computer did you use?

I used a barbed fitting coming out of the oil pressure sending unit bung, which feeds to 3/8" fuel line, which feeds to another 3/8" barbed fitting that threads into the turbo oil inlet. On the return side, I used the stock return pipe, cut it in two with a section removed out of the middle and welded the block end into my oil pan. connected the other end to it's factory location below the turbo. Joined the two with a small length of 3/4" fuel line.

Right now I have stock injectors and computer in there, but I have a turbo lh2.2 computer and greentops ready to go on before I really start driving it. Also, I'm already running an EZK ignition out of a 740 turbo.

gotboost
02-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Took the sawzall to the nasty exhaust you guys saw in my initial post. Wen't with something a little simpler. I'm not sure how, but it is quieter with no mufflers and side exit than my 740 is with a major exhaust leak between the first and second muffler. Go figure. Anyways, I cut the exhaust off right after the second bend in the DP and used an expander to jump the pipe up to 2.5". So it's not a three inch exhaust, but it is a lot bigger and the turbo spools WAY faster than on than the stock setup. Needs one more hanger welded on closer to the outlet, so I'll weld one on tomorrow. Check out the little video I shot and let me know what you think. Oh...and yeah...I know my car is filthy dirty.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JJZ4DNarO8g"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JJZ4DNarO8g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

1980 242GT
02-20-2008, 03:30 AM
Sweet man! sounds like fun!

Blue245Ti
02-20-2008, 04:26 AM
Lookin' cool. So, that's why you were MIA @ the meet on Sunday...

-J

Lutajoe
02-20-2008, 04:45 AM
Nice job, not bad for a weekends worth of work...and simple exhaust now! Im waiting for my 3 inch exhaust to arrive soon!

gotboost
02-20-2008, 04:57 AM
Lookin' cool. So, that's why you were MIA @ the meet on Sunday...

-J

Uggghhhh....long weekend. But I was actually at the meet for a bit, but I've never met you in person, so I didn't know which car was yours. My buddy and I came in the bright red 86 745t. Which one was yours?

Blue245Ti
02-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Justin,

The silver 245Ti with the GT front end and blue flathood. I was the longhaired kilted guy... I'm sometimes visiting Jonathan's pad in the Frontier Village area...

-J

Krunk Fu
02-20-2008, 02:36 PM
looking good bro:volvo:

gotboost
02-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Alright, after a few hiccups on the install, the greentops, ballast resistors and lh2.2 turbo computer are in and she's running beautifully. Gobs more power than off the n/a computer and injectors. A little scary thinking that it MUST have been leaning out on the n/a setup to make this much more power with the turbo injectors and ecu. Anyhow...I'm ear to ear grins. The car is a completely different animal now.:-D:-D:-D And I think other than running higher octane fuel (which I'm going to do from now on), I think I've done all the mods you guys recommend on a +t to not blow my shizz up.