PDA

View Full Version : My New Project

Funrover
02-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Well here she is after sitting in a field for 12 years! Not totally sure what I have started but looking foward to it!
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/aaronwart/Volvo/IMG_0352.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/aaronwart/Volvo/IMG_0351.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/aaronwart/Volvo/IMG_0354.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/aaronwart/Volvo/IMG_0355.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/aaronwart/Volvo/IMG_0356.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/aaronwart/Volvo/IMG_0359.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/aaronwart/Volvo/IMG_0360.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/aaronwart/Volvo/IMG_0361.jpg

jimjawz
02-20-2008, 12:16 AM
I think it is very nice but...it'll never spool.
Flat hood that bitch.

Funrover
02-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Im not worried about going fast ( I am guessing that is what you ment by spool) I am gonna build it up as a highway cruiser for the fiance!

GhengisKhan
02-20-2008, 12:30 AM
Love it, especially those Commando bumpers!

gotboost
02-20-2008, 12:40 AM
Ehhhh, nothing stopping you from turboing that b****. It's been done before, and diesels respond really well to boost.

YLD244
02-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Ehhhh, nothing stopping you from turboing that b****. It's been done before, and diesels respond really well to boost.

its diesel??

Josepilove
02-20-2008, 08:19 AM
its diesel??

with all that chromey chrome....it must be

Funrover
02-20-2008, 10:07 AM
its diesel??

Yup it is a inline 6 cyl Diesel! :-D

MrBill
02-20-2008, 10:54 AM
is it rude to ask how much you paid?

I want a diesel so bad:(

500dollar744ti
02-20-2008, 11:30 AM
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/aaronwart/Volvo/IMG_0354.jpg

nice mileage to pick it up at, that 85 mph speedo is rather optimistic for that motor. :-P

did you get it started? that will be an interesting feat, starting a diesel that's been sitting for years is nothing like the same with a gas motor... ask me how i know, haha.

Funrover
02-20-2008, 12:04 PM

I actually got it for free! My friend paid a couple hundred for the Volvo and a Mercedes and because I had a trailer to tow them with and I got the mercedes running he gave it to me!

Funrover
02-20-2008, 12:05 PM
nice mileage to pick it up at, that 85 mph speedo is rather optimistic for that motor. :-P

did you get it started? that will be an interesting feat, starting a diesel that's been sitting for years is nothing like the same with a gas motor... ask me how i know, haha.

Now I am just curious..LOL... How do you know, do you have any tips before I start?

lysolvolvo
02-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Spun!

Funrover
02-20-2008, 12:59 PM
spun?

500dollar744ti
02-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Now I am just curious..LOL... How do you know, do you have any tips before I start?

depends if the fuel system has been cracked open or if there is even fuel in there... have you ever bled a diesel fuel system before to get the pump primed? it is a big no-no to let a diesel run out of fuel, you can't just fill it up and go.

you are going to have to replace any fuel filters/water separators, get fresh fuel primed up to the pump and into the injectors, there cannot be ANY air in the fuel lines from tank to pump or it will not start. you have to make sure all 6 glow plugs are strong and you are going to need a new or close to new battery with AT LEAST 800CCA..

you will be doing a lot of cranking and you probably want to have another car running, hooked up to the diesel with jumper cables, either that or a GOOD battery charger. if it is cold where you are at you are going to want to plug the block heater in if there is one... if there isn't one you might look into getting one.

provided there is ZERO air or water in the fuel system, the glow plugs are strong and they get power it SHOULD start. it will be easier to get started with a block heater going if it is cold there.

i got a 1987 ford diesel pick-up free that had been sitting in a shed for 10 years, the fuel had be drained and it took me close to a day to get the truck prepped and running. i had to leave my crown victoria hooked up to the truck with two sets of jumper cables and the revs up to crank it over fast enough in the cold while keeping the glow plugs hot...

after hours of fussing with the bitch it FINALLY started, blowing gobs and gobs of black smoke all over the place. i wasn't going to let the fuel system loose any prime i had given it so i revved the **** out of it until the engine was at full operating temp.

after that, it started everytime, right away, on its own.

THAT is how i know!

MrBill
02-20-2008, 03:24 PM
I almost want a sitting diesel just to say ive done that.

cool

Funrover
02-20-2008, 03:31 PM
depends if the fuel system has been cracked open or if there is even fuel in there... have you ever bled a diesel fuel system before to get the pump primed? it is a big no-no to let a diesel run out of fuel, you can't just fill it up and go.

you are going to have to replace any fuel filters/water separators, get fresh fuel primed up to the pump and into the injectors, there cannot be ANY air in the fuel lines from tank to pump or it will not start. you have to make sure all 6 glow plugs are strong and you are going to need a new or close to new battery with AT LEAST 800CCA..

you will be doing a lot of cranking and you probably want to have another car running, hooked up to the diesel with jumper cables, either that or a GOOD battery charger. if it is cold where you are at you are going to want to plug the block heater in if there is one... if there isn't one you might look into getting one.

provided there is ZERO air or water in the fuel system, the glow plugs are strong and they get power it SHOULD start. it will be easier to get started with a block heater going if it is cold there.

i got a 1987 ford diesel pick-up free that had been sitting in a shed for 10 years, the fuel had be drained and it took me close to a day to get the truck prepped and running. i had to leave my crown victoria hooked up to the truck with two sets of jumper cables and the revs up to crank it over in the fast enough in the cold while keeping the glow plugs hot...

after hours of fussing with the bitch it FINALLY started, blowing gobs and gobs of black smoke all over the place. i wasn't going to let the fuel system loose any prime i had given it and i revved the **** out of it until the engine was at full operating temp.

after that, it started everytime, right away, on its own.

THAT is how i know!

Where are the bleeders for a Volvo? I can't find them. I am used to Mercedes motors! How do I get all of the air out?

500dollar744ti
02-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Where are the bleeders for a Volvo? I can't find them. I am used to Mercedes motors! How do I get all of the air out?

you are going to have to get specific advice from the volvo diesel gurus on here, i am not too familiar with the volvo/vw motor but i could figure it out if i had one to look at. i was using vacuum to get the fuel up to the fuel pump on the ford, it just wasn't working well enough, i ended up cracking the line and pressurizing the tank to push the fuel to the distributor much like a brake system, it almost started doing that... i got so fed up that i just put the line in my mouth and sucked the fuel up until i had a mouthful of diesel, it was nasty but is not near as toxic as getting gas in your mouth, tastes kinda like soap.

it almost started again, then i cracked all the lines and meticulously filled them up with diesel, the lines i couldn't fill i used my mouth to suck it through. i let the batteries charge up real well because i needed a fast crank to keep the prime.

i cranked it fast, felt some sort of combustion, kept cranking and cranking with my foot on the pedal, and finally it roared to life with a huge cloud of black smoke.

besides finding out how much of a pain it is to start a diesel that has been sitting, i learned 2 things from that:

1) never let a diesel run out of fuel
2) never let a diesel run out of fuel

sdturbo
02-20-2008, 03:51 PM
crack open the lines on the injectors.

Funrover
02-20-2008, 03:57 PM
besides finding out how much of a pain it is to start a diesel that has been sitting, i learned 2 things from that:

1) never let a diesel run out of fuel
2) never let a diesel run out of fuel

HAHAHAHA yup. sucks finding this lesson out! Sounds like a PITA Mercedes motors actually have a primer pump for that reason, I really hope this Volvo does

Funrover
02-20-2008, 03:58 PM
crack open the lines on the injectors.

then just crank until is fuel?

norcal505
02-21-2008, 01:11 AM
i see tremendous potential!

gotboost
02-21-2008, 01:20 AM
I had an 83 240 diesel that had a decent amount of pep. It only had about 10k on the rebuilt motor and it was a manual, so no smoke and decent power. I've heard the automatic diesels are almost undrivable though.

245Diesel
02-21-2008, 02:59 AM

Sure, I hear that every so often, but nobody seems to want to buy MINE :(

BrickLove
02-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Nice find! I love old brown Volvos, especially if they're dieselz. My folks a a few just like that when I was a kid. Good luck getting it running. Go ahead and save yourself the headache and get the injection pump resealed. If its been sitting for that long, all the rubber in that pump is going to be hard as a rock and it won't be long before it starts spewing diesel everywhere. Mine left a trail everywhere I went until it just leaked so bad that I couldn't drive it (6-8mpg FTL.) Soon as I come up with some time to work on it, I'll send off teh pump for service and get my wagon back (Diesel Power FTW!!) :nod:

Funrover
02-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Nice find! I love old brown Volvos, especially if they're dieselz. My folks a a few just like that when I was a kid. Good luck getting it running. Go ahead and save yourself the headache and get the injection pump resealed. If its been sitting for that long, all the rubber in that pump is going to be hard as a rock and it won't be long before it starts spewing diesel everywhere. Mine left a trail everywhere I went until it just leaked so bad that I couldn't drive it (6-8mpg FTL.) Soon as I come up with some time to work on it, I'll send off teh pump for service and get my wagon back (Diesel Power FTW!!) :nod:

Where is a good place to send it? just any diesel/injector rebuild shop or???

500dollar744ti
02-21-2008, 11:43 AM
I had an 83 240 diesel that had a decent amount of pep. It only had about 10k on the rebuilt motor and it was a manual, so no smoke and decent power. I've heard the automatic diesels are almost undrivable though.

this is very true, my buddy has an '84 240 diesel automatic and that thing struggles to make it up hills at 50 mph.

BrickLove
02-21-2008, 05:53 PM

Thats a good question. Most Diesel shops won't touch it because its a Volvo unit and most Volvo shops don't deal with diesel. General consensus is that its a VW design and a VW shop would be your best bet to help you find an competent injection shop that'll work on your inj. pump. I live in California, and I couldn't find anyone local who'd reseal the pump, most wanted to rebuild it ($1,200-1,600) and said they don't do reseals ($250-400), others don't work on "small" pumps and didn't seem very interested in helping me.

fivealive
02-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Well here she is after sitting in a field for 12 years! Not totally sure what I have started but looking foward to it!

Congratulations, you made the same mistake I did six months ago. Hope your project turns out better than mine did. :-P

Spun!

spun?

Spun is a movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283003/) about a bunch of methamphetamine addicts who drive around in a poo-brown 1981 Volvo 244 that looks very similar to your poo-brown 1980 Volvo 264. It's a great movie too by the way; I highly recommend it.

You need to talk to Tom (east coast, I believe he's in Maryland) or Chris (west coast, Portland OR). They can help you get your diesel-specific parts rebuilt. PM me for their contact info if you want it. Otherwise, your local repair shop that specializes in VW and Audi diesels will be able to work on it. The Audi 5-cyl variant of the D24 engine is more similar than the VW 4-cyl variant, so Audi experience is very helpful.

Did you read the Diesel FAQ (http://www.k-jet.org/articles_diesel.html) I posted in your other thread? You should start by reading that. Then the D24 greenbooks on the same site. Then all of the D24 mailing list archives.

Funrover
02-21-2008, 11:51 PM
WOW!! What problems have you had? What am I getting into here?

I went to that site, good stuff I am gonna sign up on the D24 mailing list!

Not finding Greenbooks??

245Diesel
02-22-2008, 12:44 AM
The greenbook for D24 can be found as a .pdf on www.k-jet.org

Funrover
02-22-2008, 01:07 AM
The greenbook for D24 can be found as a .pdf on www.k-jet.org

OK I am a moron, I can't find it!

dl242gt
02-22-2008, 01:22 AM
I don't know a lot about the Volvo diesels. But I do know that the injection pump should have an electric feed pump feeding the fuel from the tank. So to prime it you can take off the fuel line at the injection pump. Run the feed pump by using a jumper wire on the fuse and then reconnect once it's primed. I would do that since it's sat for 20 years and you don't know what's in that line.

The green books for D20,D24 is under the docs section.

Funrover
02-22-2008, 01:43 AM
The green books for D20,D24 is under the docs section.

DO'h I have no clue how I missed that!! Thanks!!

I will look for the eletric fuel pump!

245Diesel
02-22-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't know a lot about the Volvo diesels. But I do know that the injection pump should have an electric feed pump feeding the fuel from the tank.

Bzzt!

The D24 has no intank "lift" pump. None. Never had it, never will.

Slobodan
02-22-2008, 10:19 PM
The D24 really isn't a bad motor. I can haul ass in my 265 Diesel. I got upto 110mph on my way up and down from Issaquah meet. I always say Automatics suck. So NEVER use Automatic on a Diesel.

you should put some ATF in the new fuel filter and a primer ball. Take the Injectors out, soak each cylinder with PB blaster and other penetrants and a little ATF aswell to help seal up the rings. new glow plugs. check out the timing belt learn up on how to put a new one on. Don't neglect this part. might as well do the water pump too while you are there.

Funrover
02-23-2008, 12:20 AM
The D24 really isn't a bad motor. I can haul ass in my 265 Diesel. I got upto 110mph on my way up and down from Issaquah meet. I always say Automatics suck. So NEVER use Automatic on a Diesel.

you should put some ATF in the new fuel filter and a primer ball. Take the Injectors out, soak each cylinder with PB blaster and other penetrants and a little ATF aswell to help seal up the rings. new glow plugs. check out the timing belt learn up on how to put a new one on. Don't neglect this part. might as well do the water pump too while you are there.

Yeah I was looking at doing all of the above! ATF in the fuel filter? for the injector pump?