PDA

View Full Version : Anyone run a larger oil filter?

tequila_gundam_no_chaser
02-20-2008, 02:49 PM
The 1986-1993 ford F150 oil filter will swap onto our volvos. I began running it awhile back. About 50% larger than the stock oil filter. It goes on quite nicely.

Chris_R
02-20-2008, 02:59 PM
I heard someone make reference to a larger filter - thanks for filling in the blank!

tryingbe
02-20-2008, 03:03 PM
I use 5.0L Motorcraft FL1A or Pro-line equivalent filter. But my wagon is N/A...

WizuhD
02-20-2008, 03:08 PM
larger filter means better filtering? why swap filters?

tequila_gundam_no_chaser
02-20-2008, 04:00 PM
greater capacity. You can go longer between changes because there is a greater surface area to soak up crap in your oiling system.

wolf_walker
02-20-2008, 04:13 PM
That's kinda handy actually, I have to order OE filters around here, can find the motocrap in a mobil 1 filter locally.

tryingbe
02-20-2008, 04:20 PM
larger filter means better filtering? why swap filters?

More oil capacity and larger filter media.

500dollar744ti
02-20-2008, 05:33 PM
yeah i have been doing that since i got the car... i have so many FL-1A filters from my mustang days, i just spun one on at one oil change and have been using them up ever since... more oil pressure and capacity ftw.

btw that oil filter fits almost every ford made from ~1960-1996

http://xs224.xs.to/xs224/08065/s6300665147.jpg

gear whine
02-20-2008, 06:05 PM
i wish mann made a 1 quart oil filter.

orie
02-20-2008, 06:31 PM
The grippy end also looks kinda FTW. I've just always head the old "nothing flows as well as the stock/mann filter" on our b230s.

500dollar744ti
02-20-2008, 06:32 PM
i wish mann made a 2 quart oil filter.

uhhhhh, that is why you use the ford filter

The grippy end also looks kinda FTW. I've just always head the old "nothing flows as well as the stock/mann filter" on our b230s.

grippy ftw! the fl-1a flows very well, i have a new oem oil pump on my car and with an oem volvo filter i used to get cavitation and slight loss of pressure at 6000+ rpm, now the pressure stays dead-on above 6k rpm with the added capacity.

orie
02-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Wow, sounds like a total win. I'll try one next change (just ran out of filters in my last 12-pack).

xrayjeeper83
02-20-2008, 07:33 PM
So what brands do most of yall use???
I did this same thing with my old cherokee

gear whine
02-20-2008, 08:49 PM
uhhhhh, that is why you use the ford filter

im sure the motorcraft is a good filter, i just think it would be good if mann made a 1 quart verison considering tests have shown mann is about the best filter for our redblocks.

but in the mean time it is good to know that there is a 1 quart version out there for our bricks. i went to napa to see if there was a cross for a 1 quart version of the 1/2 quart napa gold and none was found. napa sucks.

Sabonim
02-20-2008, 10:03 PM
curious to see if the motocraft filters have a comparable amount of filter media in them... since its 2 quart does it have 2x the filter media... than the mann filter... or if it actually has the same amound of filter media in a larger container... thoughts... anyone cut the 2 of them open to compare?

Lord Tentacle
02-20-2008, 10:18 PM
mobil1 filter M-301
its the larger ford spec filter
synthetic filter element
oil pressure is just as good as with the mahn and the metal is about a mil thicker than the mahn

I just wish it would fit on the 960

SL8Brick
02-20-2008, 10:43 PM
IPD used to sell those larger oil filters years ago. When I tried one, my oil pressure light would stay on an excessive amount of time on start-up. Needless to say, I never used them again.

I know I'll probably get slammed for this, but my current OF of choice is Wal*Mart's SuperTech ST16. They're very inexpensive, made in the US by Champion Labs, have a super efficient "E-Core" design with dense paper media, and are perfect for short OCIs. I see no need to use the more expensive Mann filters if I'm only doing 3000mi oil changes.

tryingbe
02-20-2008, 10:48 PM
http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/index.html

towerymt
02-20-2008, 10:49 PM
i wish mann made a 2 quart oil filter.
You could run two Mann filters with a remote filter kit.

marchul
02-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Hows the clearance on a turbo 240?

Lutajoe
02-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Correct me if Im wrong, but is this filter equivalent to a PH8 Fram? If so, I used this "equivalent" filter on my Jeep...I usually used Purolators either the Premium or Pure Ones. I think it was a 30001. Wix/Napa I know has an equivalent thats pretty good too. I never use Frams anymore. That filter website above is a great reference too!

barry240
02-20-2008, 11:27 PM
do they fit on the t+ cars

Dauntless
02-20-2008, 11:34 PM
I've been using Ford sized filters in my 244 for a long time. I've had no problems.

http://zyrex.org/gallery/d/42039-3/Picture+1630ED.jpg

500dollar744ti
02-21-2008, 12:12 AM
^^^ nice n/a header setup doood! :-P

gear whine
02-21-2008, 12:14 AM
You could run two Mann filters with a remote filter kit.

rite. well how would you hook that up with the oil cooler????

84 Blue 240
02-21-2008, 12:31 AM
I use an Amsoil that is a bit larger than stock. I will have to take some pictars.

84B23F
02-21-2008, 12:39 AM
fl-1a flows very well...oem volvo filter i used to get cavitation....pressure stays dead-on above 6k rpm with the added capacity.

OEM was by-passing, maybe....after a set pressure, oil filters will by-pass...but, this is pressure being exerted upon bypass itself....one can have higher pressure within filter, but if oil is flowing via filter elements, this will not induce higher pressure on by-pass...as I understand.

In any event, as tryingbe said: "More oil capacity and larger filter media," which reduces the amount of "filter pressure," which assists in a pinch more oil pressure to engine parts.

towerymt
02-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Remove filter, thread on adapter with two hoses that run to the remote filter mount. Does not affect the oil cooler if you already have an oil cooler installed.

TR Conn
02-21-2008, 01:28 AM

If it will accept a Ford filter, then it stands to reason it will accept a Ford filter relocation kit.

bag3lbit3s
02-21-2008, 01:41 AM
IPD used to sell those larger oil filters years ago. When I tried one, my oil pressure light would stay on an excessive amount of time on start-up. Needless to say, I never used them again.

I know I'll probably get slammed for this, but my current OF of choice is Wal*Mart's SuperTech ST16. They're very inexpensive, made in the US by Champion Labs, have a super efficient "E-Core" design with dense paper media, and are perfect for short OCIs. I see no need to use the more expensive Mann filters if I'm only doing 3000mi oil changes.
At about $4-5 a filter, I don't think they're that expensive.

MrBill
02-21-2008, 02:16 AM
I actually have the dual relocation kit laying around here. Two of those ford filters will be excellent overkill!
I wonder if two fram filters is the same as one mann filter:)?

For anyone that cares the fram is PH-8a and the smaller is ph-16 (I do believe) Seeing how popular fram is you might be able to go to the store and ask for the equivalent to the PH-8a.

parapig2001
02-21-2008, 02:25 AM
For what you are going to pay for 2 filters you could have a valvoline which seems to be the best/most reasonable on the list. What is the advantage of 2 filters other than the obvious filtration benifits? Does it somehow give more flow to the oil pump? I wouldn't think so but I am NO mechanic! Dang that was a good web site!!!! You have one that grades engine oil like that? I've seen SOOOO many arguements on this forum pertaining to oil.....it's a hoot reading some of that stuff! :rofl: Valvoline filter with valvoline 10w-40 synthetic for my 97 850 T-5!!!!!!

MikeHardy
02-21-2008, 02:44 AM
seen volvo still used the same redblock filters on the 5cyl whites i was thinking about trying one of these on my s70 next time. was a bit concerned with it come down below the sump/subframe, but there cheap enough to check out.

parapig2001
02-21-2008, 02:53 AM
seen volvo still used the same redblock filters on the 5cyl whites i was thinking about trying one of these on my s70 next time. was a bit concerned with it come down below the sump/subframe, but there cheap enough to check out.

Which one? The mann filters? There is something to be said for what the manufacturer recomends be placed on the vehicle!:nod:

MikeHardy
02-21-2008, 03:01 AM
my S70 uses the same filter that the redblock uses, if the bigger ford filter fits redblock engines then it should go on mine too. what i will have to look out for is as it would hang a bit lower (s70 has the filter in the bottom of the engine) it might get hit by stuff on the road.

SL8Brick
02-21-2008, 09:03 AM
At about $4-5 a filter, I don't think they're that expensive.

True, but I can rack up 3k miles about every 6 weeks. SuperTech OFs are only $2.27ea...I'm a family man makin' mediocre wages so I'll take the savings wherever I can get it.

osovolante
02-21-2008, 09:47 AM
I use Wix in my 740 and 760 turbos, the Ford ones. I remember there were 6 sizes with that filter base.

About 3" tall, fits Renault OHV
Our stock size Volvo filter
Chrysler filter
Ford Filter
Oversize (foot long) Ford truck version

There's one I can't remember, in the smaller range. Otherwise they're the same in bypass pressure, etc.
BTW,Subaru and VW filters have the same base, but different bypass pressures - a Golf filter fits a Subie, but the Subie's low oil pressure relative to the VW won't open the anti-backflow. Jiffy-Lube got into a big legal mess over that, replaced a bunch of Subie engines.

500dollar744ti
02-21-2008, 10:01 AM
I use Wix in my 740 and 760 turbos, the Ford ones. I remember there were 6 sizes with that filter base.

About 3" tall, fits Renault OHV
Our stock size Volvo filter
Chrysler filter
Ford Filter
Oversize (foot long) Ford truck version

There's one I can't remember, in the smaller range. Otherwise they're the same in bypass pressure, etc.
BTW,Subaru and VW filters have the same base, but different bypass pressures - a Golf filter fits a Subie, but the Subie's low oil pressure relative to the VW won't open the anti-backflow. Jiffy-Lube got into a big legal mess over that, replaced a bunch of Subie engines.

yeah the two ford filters that fit are FL-1A, (the longer one) FL-300, (the shorter one), still bigger than stock volvo, and the chrysler/jeep filter, Fram PH-16, i don't know the oem chrysler equivelent but it is the same size as the stock volvo. the threads are a very standard size, a ford FL-400S should also fit but it is the same length as FL-1A just thinner and theres no point in using that.

i run mann volvo filters on my jeep because i bought some to use on the 740 but decided to use my ford filters up instead, no point in buying more filters for the jeep when the volvo ones i have already fit.

I am going to order up a couple of these and try them on the Volvo, i had very good results on my mustang.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=7568

osovolante
02-21-2008, 10:17 AM
2 short filters (like PH3512 Fram-size) would look fashionably odd on a dual remote filter base... They are incredibly small! :wtf:

SteveMD
02-21-2008, 12:08 PM
For what you are going to pay for 2 filters you could have a valvoline which seems to be the best/most reasonable on the list. What is the advantage of 2 filters other than the obvious filtration benifits? Does it somehow give more flow to the oil pump? I wouldn't think so but I am NO mechanic! Dang that was a good web site!!!! You have one that grades engine oil like that? I've seen SOOOO many arguements on this forum pertaining to oil.....it's a hoot reading some of that stuff! :rofl: Valvoline filter with valvoline 10w-40 synthetic for my 97 850 T-5!!!!!!

Yes, http://bobistheoilguy.com/ We will see you in a month or 2 :-P

wolf_walker
02-21-2008, 12:29 PM
I always wondered if dual filters were worth the bother. I've remote mounted singles before for lack of space, but two filters that only filter down to a given micron size, I dunno.

500dollar744ti
02-21-2008, 12:50 PM
my S70 uses the same filter that the redblock uses, if the bigger ford filter fits redblock engines then it should go on mine too. what i will have to look out for is as it would hang a bit lower (s70 has the filter in the bottom of the engine) it might get hit by stuff on the road.

i wouldn't do it, too risky, for the whiteblocks stick with oem size.

MikeHardy
02-21-2008, 04:11 PM
i wouldn't do it, too risky, for the whiteblocks stick with oem size.

perhaps the slightly longer FL-300 would be better match as it might make it just level with the sump and still up in the body.

aplitz
02-21-2008, 08:35 PM
I used to get bigger filters for all my trucks at my old job. I would go to NAPA and leaf through their NAPA Gold application guide, until I found the largest one that would work with any given thread size and pitch. The Ford filters are big, but there is a NAPA equivalent that is even bigger, and most likely cheaper (I haven't checked in a while). Just take some measurements, ask to see the guide, and have fun with your improved filtering.

Personally, I am running a dual remote kit with 2 Mann filters and Mobil 1 right now. When my Mann supply dries up, I'll step up to two Gold oversized equivalents.

84B23F
02-21-2008, 09:06 PM
...larger oil filters...oil pressure light would stay on an excessive amount of time on start-up....

The one you had didn't have an Anti-Drainback Valve..."protects your engine by retaining oil when engine is off so your engine benefits from a full liter at start-up (http://www.fram.com/products/oilFilters.php#oilFilters2)."

Same problem can exist with smaller oil filters...if filter is in vertical position, you most likely will never see it.

Dawson
02-22-2008, 09:27 AM
I've been running with Penta oil filters for a while now. I don't think there's a difference at all over the OEM Volvo but I work at a Penta dealer so I gets 'em mad cheep yo... Plus I figure that there may some internal differences as boat motors get pushed a lot harder then autos. Just my :twocents:

tryingbe
02-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Anybody even bother to read this site?

Motorcraft used to be good, but now it's just the same filter as Premium Plus. Still a good filter, but you can buy Premium Plus (Pro-line) filter for less money.

Champion E-core sucks, they did it to save money.

tequila_gundam_no_chaser
02-22-2008, 10:36 AM
do they fit on the t+ cars

my car is +t

Janspeed
02-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Do these Motorcraft/Ford filters have a checkvalve (anti-drainvalve) in there?
Just seems to me it would take a while just to fill that filtervolume. twice as long if it's twice the size.

Redwood Chair
02-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Anybody even bother to read this site?

Motorcraft used to be good, but now it's just the same filter as Premium Plus. Still a good filter, but you can buy Premium Plus (Pro-line) filter for less money.

No.
I didn't see mann filters listed there,so I didn't bother.
;-)

dl242gt
02-22-2008, 01:56 PM
No internal check valve=engine rebuild due to lack of startup lubrication. The head will get damaged first followed by the lower end. Cheap oil filters that do have check valves have cheap check valves that leak.

If you want to add oil quantity to the system. Add an oil cooler with a remote filter. Now you've added capacity and oil cooling. Plus Volvo already made and supplied the adapters on many of these cars. If you already have a turbo with the oil cooler. Just use a quality oil filter like the Mann and good oil. An acusump is a good way to go as well. If you lose oil pressure during hard turns. The acusump pushes oil into the system helping to avoid losing pressure. For shut down a turbo oiler adds a quart of oil to the system as well.

SL8Brick
02-22-2008, 02:13 PM

...and as long as they continue to pass the savings along to me, I'll continue to use them. The ST16 is the perfect oil filter for short oil change intervals.

tryingbe
02-22-2008, 02:27 PM
No, cost of filter was the same, the saving went to their pockets.

Pro-line filters at pepboys was $3 a pop, last I check, better filter than E-core.

wolf_walker
02-22-2008, 05:35 PM
...and as long as they continue to pass the savings along to me, I'll continue to use them. The ST16 is the perfect oil filter for short oil change intervals.

I spend more money on coffee every 3K than I do on syn Rotella and Mann filters, lol.
Only oil changes I ever thought were pricey were the 10 or 12 quarts of Mobil 1 and BMW filter in the 540, that was a little much.

84B23F
02-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Do these Motorcraft/Ford filters have a checkvalve (anti-drainvalve) in there?

They say:

Anti-Drain Back Valve (http://www.motorcraft.com/products.do?item=13)

This feature keeps oil in the filter to prevent "dry starts" after your engine has been turned off. It's made with specially formulated material that resists the aging effects that an engine's heat can cause.

wolf_walker
02-22-2008, 06:40 PM
I always wondered why there were not mechanical check valves independent of the oil filter, other than I suppose they could get sludged up. Every authority I've ever seen has insisted cold start was the major wear time on most motors. The whole pre-lubing business is pretty cool I always though.

Anyone used one of those bypass filters on a Volvo?

Krisverde
02-22-2008, 07:44 PM
So I bought a bosch 3500 I'd imagine that should work.

coonmanx
04-17-2008, 08:01 PM
I use Fram TG16 oil filters on my 84 242GLT. I got to them by cross referencing from a Pep Boys filter to a Pennzoil filter to a Fram filter. They work great, cost about 5 to 6 bucks and have the anti-drainback valve. I use Quaker State Torque power full synthetic and although I try to go 3,000 miles between changes, I'm not too worried about going 5,000 with the synthetic oil. Filters are readily available. I have considered the relocation kit for the filter since it is a bit of a PITA where it is located. However, I think that I've got it down pat after numerous oil changes.

84B23F
04-18-2008, 12:08 AM
...full synthetic...go 3,000 miles between changes

I thought I read today Mobil 1 is suggesting 16,000 miles on their best synthetic, and some 5,000 miles on one of their regular oils.

Either way, I think I would get a good oil filter....

Mobil 1 has a 0w-30...I wonder if anyone has tried it?

mePTI
04-18-2008, 08:55 AM
I thought I read today Mobil 1 is suggesting 16,000 miles on their best synthetic, and some 5,000 miles on one of their regular oils.

Either way, I think I would get a good oil filter....

Mobil 1 has a 0w-30...I wonder if anyone has tried it?

My Honda racks up about 7,000 miles a month, and Ive put 12,000 on it since its last change, running the top of the line Mobile 1 synthetic, and the top of the line filter. You can still see through the stuff. Sure at 11 bucks a quart it isn't cheap. But worth it imo.

The 740 gets cheap Pennzoil until I find that leak :rofl: