PDA

View Full Version : underbody lighting install question

pandatek
01-18-2003, 10:37 PM
I thought it'd be funny to install underbody lighting on my 245. I don't really want to buy anything cause its not worth the money for a joke, but I was thinking of wiring in a rope light I had lying around. I don't want to buy an inverter so can I just tap into the cigarette lighter or will that break somthing?

Hank Scorpio
01-19-2003, 12:27 AM
Try adding an exhaust whistle first!

WOOO WOOOOOOOOO ROFL

Doug

taskmule
01-22-2003, 05:30 PM
ROTFLMAO...good one. I still can't get over that guy blowing thorough the stop sign...

'mule

Hank Scorpio
01-22-2003, 05:31 PM
ROTFLMAO...good one. I still can't get over that guy blowing thorough the stop sign...

'mule

Correction, that was the "lil sis" driving! ROFL, makes it even funnier!

doug

crazyBOOSTEDone
01-27-2003, 06:20 PM
hey guys, just because YOU may not liek the idea of neons in our volvos, but some people do, dont hate, and lets try to stick to the topics. DUDE, no problems will arise out of using th ecig. lighter for power, for i have 4 black lights running of that, so, HOOK IT UP MAN, no worries :D .MODD OUT~~

Hank Scorpio
01-27-2003, 07:29 PM
hey guys, just because YOU may not liek the idea of neons in our volvos, but some people do, dont hate, and lets try to stick to the topics. DUDE, no problems will arise out of using th ecig. lighter for power, for i have 4 black lights running of that, so, HOOK IT UP MAN, no worries :D .MODD OUT~~
I know I was joking, I thought for sure someone would have answered this by now.

Shame on me

WOO WOOOO

Chigga 744SE
01-27-2003, 08:18 PM
if done properly

the car can actually look nice w/neon lights.

I know how F&F made it look all gay.

but look @ some hot rods.

BoxDriver2
01-29-2003, 10:14 AM
Key phrase "look at the hot rods" :P

I dunno, I had 1 neon blue light at a cruise under the front clip [had the hood up etc when i got the coating done to the piping] and it looked horrible, took it out. Neons have issues, those little black control modules do enjoy frying on occasion.

I'd avoid them, the rope light, i don't think it will work out that good imo.

Late.

WeezilUSA
01-29-2003, 09:48 PM
2 things... 1. The ropelight won't be bright enough... and 2. I believe what you are asking is can you plug an AC 110 volt rope light into your 12v DC cig lighter, and the answer is.... try it and see what happens... :bat:

700mopareater
01-29-2003, 10:00 PM
If the rope light requires AC current, you can't run it on DC. You'd need the inverter. I think you can get underbody kits pretty cheap from pep boyz, i had a friend who did it once on his dodge dakota (strangely enough) looked pretty good. If you do it, put some pics up

Also, you'd need to reinforce your floor pans, gotta watch out, they'll blow out when you're on the strip.

And if you do put on the rope lights, make sure it doesn't affect your NAWZ controller computer, don't want it giving you errors.

:wiggle:

pandatek
01-29-2003, 10:14 PM
thanks guys, I've decided to go ahead and just try it out, my rope light is pretty bright inside so hopefully it'll work brightness wise, as for matching power types, it has an inline 3amp fuse so it'll blow that before it ruins the $10 lights :lol:

Anyway, its just for fun to make people laugh, I'm also putting in blue lights on the inside made out of blue x-mas tree lights. All the test of that have worked so far now I just need to put the lights in place.

When the project is doen I'll be sure to post some pics.

wildmanben
01-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Here in Va, you can buy 8" neon tubes from Walmart! :oops: Yeah, it's walrmart, but hey, they work, and come with a cigarette lighter adapter. If you want to run more than one, it's easy enough to just hook the transformer up to your battery. They're made for the interior, though, so you'd have to figure out a way to attatch them underbody. Anyway, this is the cheapest way I know of to just get the tubes and transformers.

WeezilUSA
01-29-2003, 10:42 PM
hey pandatek, you wanna get skooled by a real volvo racer? I removed my floorpans so they wouldn't fall off on the track... christmas lites are cool ummm kay? Anyways you are from seattle? Where from, I am from edmonds... email me

weezilusa@netscape.net