PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to clean GT Braces?

growley
01-20-2003, 05:37 PM
Mine are looking a bit old and tarnished. Is there a to clean them or spray paint them?

Volvo78GT
01-20-2003, 05:41 PM
sand blast 'em and put some nice paint with color of your choice...

OEM GT braces have a rough finish on them... I think that's galvanizing for rust protection, hence its ugly appearence.

growley
01-20-2003, 05:49 PM
Yes I do have OEM GT braces. Would sandpaper work?

Volvo78GT
01-20-2003, 05:51 PM
hmm some galvanizing is rather pitted... mine sure is!... it'd take alot of grunt work and steps of sanding...

I'm just talking myself into a hole... somebody else'd have a better idea

Steve C
01-20-2003, 05:53 PM
Go to your local speed shot and have them put them through a cycle in the brace cleaner.

01-20-2003, 05:53 PM
Have them cromed at a shop. It is not too expensive, looks nice and a one time job.

Hank Scorpio
01-20-2003, 05:55 PM
you can always try fine grain steal wool. Thats what I did on mine and they turned out...ok I guess, not perfect. I'll probably just bead-blast them and polish them though.

Doug

growley
01-20-2003, 05:55 PM
I'll try some light sanding and see what happens. I don't know what kind of shop I go to to get them chromed.

growley
01-20-2003, 06:09 PM
Alright, just tried it with light grain sandpaper. It turned out a little better looking but it was harder to sand towards the ends of the braces.

DaRiceRipper
01-20-2003, 07:08 PM
All you have to do sand them down with a med grit sand paper lightly sorta of barley touching them but fast movments.
after it looks like youve scuffed them well wash and leave wet take the fine grit sandpaper give it a good go over then use self leveling primer
{they sell it in a spray can} Give them 3 coats {not 3 heavy coats}
then spray them with the engine paint of your choice.
they should come out real smooth and slick.

Angus242
01-21-2003, 05:36 AM
Firstly, the stock finish isn't galvanising, its cadmium plating. A common finish on automotive components.

I just sprayed mine black with regular enamel in a spray can. If you intend to paint them then going over them with some sandpaper should be enough to get rid of any mild surface corrosion. If the surface is still a bit pitted then spray them with "primer surfacer", primer with filler in it, and give it a very light sanding before painting.

Another option is powder coating, I've seen a few sets of braces done with this very durable finish, looks pretty good.

Volvo78GT
01-21-2003, 01:45 PM
Firstly, the stock finish isn't galvanising, its cadmium plating. A common finish on automotive components.

Yeah that's it, was talking to my dad about it last night and he said its cadmium plating and its not paticularly easy to get a nice finish without sandblasting... but it can be done... mine's all stratched up but is it worth the effort? no. i've got a billion other things to do!

01-21-2003, 08:20 PM
When you remove the (usually old and pitted) cadmium plating by sand/bead blasting the surface tends to get a bit rough, some sanding and polishing afterwards should get a good surface for croming.
Many motor shops that specialize in tuning, especially amcars should be able to crome them or tell you where to go. Also furniture restorers could give you a hint. Powdercoating is a good option also and does not require a smooth surface, but it is usually a bit more expensive.(and I prefer croming by taste..) If you decide too have them done in either way you might consider doing other parts in the same time. There are a lot of plated or galvanized parts in the engine room that get ugly with time.
It was a lot cheaper than I expected, I paid $15 US for the braces, intercooler brackets, washerbottle bracket and a couple of other pieces.
Double or triple that for powdercoating. Considering buying spraypaint and doing the terribly annoing work of painting the pieces with a coat that will probably get bad in a couple of years... :? I do again reccomend some sorts of professional plating.

Hank Scorpio
01-21-2003, 08:23 PM
Eastwood sells that powder coating kit that I'd love to snag. One of these days I will, I have the oven sitting around already!

Doug

Anonymous
01-22-2003, 12:27 AM
I just did mine last summer. after you prep, use a couple coats of good clearcoat on top of a nice engine paint, and you'll have some nice braces! 8)

DaButcher
01-28-2003, 10:12 AM
there is something called "Autosol" which is good for polishing.
I polished the metal thingies holding my radiator, they got all shiny and nice, but I think you should use something on it afterwards to prevent "corrosion".

G96nt
01-28-2003, 10:16 PM
*WHOOOOOOO*

how about... go to your local parts dealer, and pick up a small container Of mothers aluminum/metal polish.

use some windex to clean it, and polish it up.... if you do Well-enough you should have quite the shine ( I have made my 3 year-old s/s muffler Shine pretty well With mothers' and some elbow grease)

if you're worried, you can wait For the polish to dry.. buf it a little, and apply some clearcoat via krylon (at Some point, I'm doing This to the valve-cover... I'll show y'all then) actually... here let me show you a tranny housing I did.

here's some pictures:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/4g64/files/4g63bT_powered_galant/silver-bell.JPG

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/4g64/files/4g63bT_powered_galant/4g63_top.JPG

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/4g64/files/4g63bT_powered_galant/mini-IM002023.jpg

mmmm eyecandy!

but.. yeah you can See how well the mothers' works. it's all by hand.. and that Tranny you can See the half I didn't Touch(lower part.. still has mod/oxidization)