• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

bought ecodes and Catz 4300k HID kit

blue cube

its for the 940

so because the housings are so big i hope it doesnt look like
crap, but i just bounced $1100 on the setup so i hope its okay

my question is:
i bought the EST eurospec lights (and im waiting for them)
with the 4300k kit do you think i will blind ppl?
keep in mind the housings on the 940s are ALOT bigger than
on the 850s and im kinda worried...

oh aslo-
do you think i need to buy the ipd wiring harness kit?
someone on the boards from where i got the HID's said
"DO NOT run the HID's on your stock harness, you will
burn all the wires"

do you think the stock system in the 940 is okay??

HIDs usually use less power than halogens. I dont see how they will burn you harness.

BTW, make sure the bi-xenon setup (which is what I hope you have) is set up for your style of lighting, or else you WILL blind people. You might be able to modify something to get a nice beam if needed.

you will blind every damn person on the road, you'll probably even blind people in their houses as you drive by. HIDS NEED PROJECTORS. period. there's a reason HID kits are not DOT legal......

Pennybridge Pioneer said:
you will blind every damn person on the road, you'll probably even blind people in their houses as you drive by. HIDS NEED PROJECTORS. period. there's a reason HID kits are not DOT legal......

He got E-codes. As long as the HID kit is properly shielded, he will NOT be blinding people. It's not like he's slapping an HID kit into the 9004 housings, which is a different story. Both of you should visit http://www.hidforum.com

While you're at it, go here http://members.aol.com/ed94laredo/

The wiring harness that ipd sells is made by APC... You can make your own pretty easily... it's basically a relay that plugs into your stock headlight wires... so you turn on the headlights, which turn on the relay, which then gives your lights direct feed from a heavy lead from the battery.

Just visited the HID forum... but I'm waiting to get activated.

Is there such a thing as a 7" projector, or 7" housing with internal projector? I want to buy HIDs this week, but only if I can find something that looks like the sketch below...

basically a 7inch round, with internal projector running HIDs. 8-)

nick

You could make one, by just getting a crystal clear 7" round (ebay VW style)... then cut the back of the housing out enough to pass the projector into there... that would look sick... oo ooo you could even get crosshairs :rofl:

cross hairs?

Where can I buy HID projectors by themselves? The Hella "online catalog" is the worst interface I've ever delt with... The web designers there need to beat their own asses, and then hang their heads in shame.

Back to HID and projectors... ummm... I want to get something HQ.

ipd charges $70 for the harness, any aftermarket / ricer supply store will charge you at most $40. Took me 2 minutes to find: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dpstore/apc2758.html

So you bounced $1100 eh? I'm hoping the majority of the $$ you spent was on the Headlights rather than the HID's...

Make sure your HID bulbs are capped or you have some type of internally mounted cap over them (as seen in the early 700 series e-codes) so it's not just this bare glaring arc of xenon projecting from the front of your car. That will blind oncoming drivers fo' sho. Alex's V70 is like that. Looks sweet from inside but blinds the piss out of oncoming traffic.

There's a bit of truth to the whole "you'll blind other drivers without a projector" because no matter how the bulb cutoff looks, HID's will still produce more glare to the human eye. But I don't give a rats ass, I'm still getting them, just waiting on a replacement ballast...

TRBO242 said:
Is there such a thing as a 7" projector, or 7" housing with internal projector? I want to buy HIDs this week, but only if I can find something that looks like the sketch below...

I know the BMW E34 5 series / E30 3 series (and possibly more) low beam has a setup like that but I'm sure it's not 7" round. You might be able to snag the guts of it (the ellipsoid insert) and "mate" them into a 7" round setup. But look for a set of ellipsoids at the scrapper's because retail they're $118 per side.

just wish there was a nice car scrapper near me. only thing we got is broke-ass volvos, and american junk... anyone pull me a NICE set of projectors, and I'll pay $50 a side.

nick

the poi said:
by "eurospec" lights, do you mean the volvo three-section lights that use H4's?

yep
from EST

[quote:301ae54c69]Precision manufactured bulbs provide straight vertical alignment which do not in anyway alter your O.E.M. housing original beam pattern. As well, the H4 application comes with a refined glare shield that reduces unnecessary amounts of glare, which tends to blind on-coming traffic.[/quote:301ae54c69]

from the website i got them from

so theres pretty much NO way i am not doing this at this point
but you guys think i should get projectors?
this is what i bought: http://www.eurosporttuning.com/Merc...=PROD&Store_Code=EST&Product_Code=300-009-EHK
im sure you guys know all about them
im NOT looking to blind people so i will do whatever i can
to prevent this. i know i can have HID's and not blind people.

so when i get these housings, basically i can pick up a pair
of HID projectors, and put them BEHIND the glass that already
aims the light???

blue cube said:
[quote:dc84840c69]Precision manufactured bulbs provide straight vertical alignment which do not in anyway alter your O.E.M. housing original beam pattern. As well, the H4 application comes with a refined glare shield that reduces unnecessary amounts of glare, which tends to blind on-coming traffic.

from the website i got them from[/quote:dc84840c69]

Perfect.

Next step: go onto your PBase account and change the dates from "Feb 2003" to "Feb 2004." (on your 940 page) :-P

TRBO242 said:
just wish there was a nice car scrapper near me. only thing we got is broke-ass volvos, and american junk... anyone pull me a NICE set of projectors, and I'll pay $50 a side.

nick

Before you go jumping all over that, I'd visit some BMW or Audi boards.

Also, the Integra from 94 through whenever the RSX was introduced has projector low beams. I bet they'd be cheaper than going for the expensive euro ones.

I also know a few guys that turned their el-cheap-o Pilot brand projector fog lights into HID's. You could probably get a set of Pilots for cheap.

Just look around and be patient, you're bound to come up with something.

*EDIT* http://www.geocities.com/jvxdriver/hid_foglight_conversion.htm
Oh and sorry for the thread Hijak guys.

blue cube said:
so when i get these housings, basically i can pick up a pair of HID projectors, and put them BEHIND the glass that already
aims the light???

Don't do that, you'll still get a jacked up pattern because the projector will then go through the lense and stuff. You don't need to if you bought an HID kit that came with capped (the 'refined glare shield' as quoted from the site you bought it at) bulbs like you said. The bulbs with the caps built over them are meant for lenses like you have...er... will have (the ecodes), they won't blind oncoming drivers. They'll still have a bit of glare but oh well, it's not as bad as just having a bare bulb.

It'll be sweet man, I say just go for it and once it's in, make changes if it's not satisfactory. Hard to judge and make recommendations on a "fix" if it's not exactly in yet, ya know? Great luck with it dude, it'll be awesome to see it installed!!!

Back