PDA

View Full Version : Looking for creative speaker install ideas

vos
01-31-2003, 06:10 PM
I am wondering if anyone has some creative speaker installations they have done on a 700/900 that they would be willing to share some pics of? I have done a half-a$$ job on mine using some cheap pioner 4" in the front doors and 5 1/4" in the rear doors (or maybe I am rembering that backwards...it was a while back) and would like to redo it :evil: .

Main problem I have is that these doors leak air (in the sealed enclosure sense of the expression) like crazy, and getting good sounds of any frequency (even mids and highs) has been frustrating!

I am not above chopping the door panel up and rebuilding it (i.e. cutting out the lower pocket area and reconstructing it with something), but would like to see if anyone else has done something they are happy with first...

THANKS!

Pennybridge Pioneer
01-31-2003, 11:31 PM
5 x 7's or even 6 x 9's in the rear shelf would be sechsi. also i would personally use components up front. 6.5 components would be great, but you'd need to really fab up the doors as stock size is like 5" max, you probably couldn't even get them in there because of depth, so probably kick panels? that would be nifty.....i would post pics, but i'm too poor to even afford the speakers i am suggesting..hahaha, www.nexxon.com if they're still around has some good prices....

swede242
02-01-2003, 01:09 AM
I sized up some Boston Pro 6's for the fronts...they are CLOSE. I say "close" in that they will fit behind the factory grill (SUBTLTY IS EVERYTHING). The 6.5's have a woofer thats (I think) in the neighborhood of 5 1/2 - 5 3/4" diameter. Nice thing is that without the tweeter, depth looks good too. Anyways, IF they do fit - and the fitting requires some trimming/squaring off of the basket to get them to fit, then I'm definitely getting USED ones off of ebay or something. The front doors on a 700 are actually pretty deep....Crotchfield, er...Crutchfield actually lists them at 2 3/4"....thats deep man (so is the subject of existentialism).

:help:

snafu
02-02-2003, 08:56 PM
I put alpine componets in the front doors, 5 1/4" in the rear doors and 4 -5 1/4" on the rear deck. the imaging is unbelievable.

check out page 4 for pictures.

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/snafu[/url]

ptouch20
02-03-2003, 09:28 PM
hey man. nice system...i'll probably do something similar for my rear deck...a couple questions...where did you get that adapter thinger for the rear door speakers? do you have a closup of your cd player install?...all the 740 head unit installs i've seen use that one kit that gives it that shelf look...i'd like to see if you've remedied that or not..thanx bro,

snafu
02-03-2003, 09:46 PM
Pete - I made that adapter piece out of 5/8'' MDF (medium density fiberboard). I will try to find some other pics of the rear door install when I go home this weekend. As for the cd player, I did use that shelf like kit.

vos
02-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Snafu, that is indeed a nice install... Thanks for sharing.

You mentioned you used 5/8" MDF for the adaptor. Question: it looks like you shaped the mdf into some nice curves as well as a "collar" for the actual speaker mating surface... How did you do the shaping? I assume you wet it, shaped it as desired, and let it dry? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,
Vos

snafu
02-04-2003, 01:56 PM
acctually to get the shape i used 2 different pieces. One piece is cut with a half radius on one side then square on the other side. then i cut a piece with the same radius but with the whole cirle, like a donut, and put that on top of the other piece. then i just covered the whole thing with black felt. I did all of this because the Alpine componet set had a very deep mounting depth. with out this the magnet would hit the door frame.

afarrar
04-09-2003, 02:49 PM
so your having problems with sound, or just the look? I recently upgraded my stock system in my 83 245 turbo, but all I added was 2 10" subs and two amps. One to run the subs and 1 to run the four stock fours. You would be suprised, it bumps hard and the highs are amazing. I would suggest amping the 4's and 5 and 1/4's they will sound so good.

JonnyScorch
04-09-2003, 07:02 PM
i agree affarrar, i installed 6x9 speakers on my back deck, and got a new cd player (DEH 3400?) anyways the deck really improved the stock speakers, i was really impressed.

neurot75
04-10-2003, 01:44 AM
snafu, why would u take up ALL of your trunk space jsut for subs??
i mean its alright if u used a moderately sized box to squeeze into the trunk but taking up the entire trunk?? seems kinda pointless considering u cant haul anything at all, and if u go to the track it'll take up a **** load of ur time

snafu
04-10-2003, 11:57 AM
The only reason I took up the whole trunk was because I was going for spl. that setup hit 144.7 db. I took all that out for the summer so I can run it at the track.