PDA

View Full Version : Volvo No2

MikeHardy
02-03-2003, 01:17 PM
Tommorow i should be going to pick up volvo No2 It's a 1987 760 Turbo saloon with 102K miles full leather, all electrics with IRS the guy says. The car uses coolent this started after he had the headgasket changed (he didn't have it skimmed) last year and he is sick of it now. i picked the car up off UK ebay for £150.

http://www.pbase.com/image/12048866 first pic i'll take some more when i goto get it and bring it back

the future of this car i not deceided on. it might be a parts car, a fix and sell or a fix and keep and sell my 740 wagon.

best

mike

Kjets On a Plane
02-03-2003, 10:16 PM
YEP you have IRS the front lights are of the later e-code design (940) so you have a nice dash and IRS. I think the lights were refined for the 940, but it is basically the same deal. Nice find for about $200.

MikeHardy
02-04-2003, 12:42 PM
Just got back and posted first actual pic

Car is a B230ET. Electric driverís seat/windows/mirrors(heated)/sunroof, cruise control, Aircon (disabled, no belt), ABS, full leather and remote locking + alarm. Actually has 122,000 miles Rear end converted to gas shocks (nivomats gone, rear end sags a bit I donít think they swapped to stronger springs),

Leaking coolant from left radiator hose, the man says it's blown a few hoses and his mechanic says it's due to the head not being skimmed when the headgasket was changed. Fuel gauge not working. Electric seat back motor needs attention. Oh and I pulled the left edge of the front skirt loose reversing of the trailer. Paint needs the odd touch up. And theirs a lot of corrosion on the brake diskís as itís been sat for 6 monthís. Apart from that itís fine.

Starts and runs lovely as I had to drive it on and off the trailer. Runs smoother than my own 740.

mike

http://www.pbase.com/ravennexus/760

bitjockey
02-04-2003, 01:01 PM
Nice find, man...

I thought this thread was gonna be about nitrous :)

MikeHardy
02-04-2003, 01:08 PM
That would be so RICE to post a nitrous post in showroom

mike

WeezilUSA
02-04-2003, 01:17 PM
http://www.raceworx.com/funnypics/dude.jpg

700mopareater
02-04-2003, 04:47 PM
Weezilusa, are you a gary donovan fan by any chance?

yorkbrick
02-04-2003, 05:22 PM
Dude, thats a sweeet DOHC volvo motor. Is that in your garage?
And if so where do you live? You better lock the doors at night! :D

MikeHardy
02-05-2003, 04:41 AM
the motors from Team turbo racing and i wish it was mine but alas it's not a put it up to show someone a motor Idea.

i live far away form most of you in the UK north wales

just posted more pic taken in daylight

mike

SeriousSteve
02-05-2003, 09:57 AM
Nice bargain!, you could probably make a profit on that by just fixing the small problems.

It's got the nicer dash too, melikes :D

MikeHardy
02-05-2003, 11:58 AM
The one thing I find odd about this car is how itís starts up. You turn the key and it fires instantly then settles into a smooth idle but high as I havenít had it warm yet, you donít even hear it turn over once it just fires.
I can work on this car at my leisure, as it not needed as Iím gonna keep my wagon till itís finished.
Iím also going to put the wheels on my wagon as it has 4 Very good condition BF Goodrichís and my current tires are getting a bit thin

Anyway plans so far

 Compression test to see if headgasket it buggered but I will replace anyway as all his problems started after it was replaced. Maybe get the head pressure tested to ensure itís not cracked would also give me a reason to do some simple work on it.
 Get head skimmed.
 Clean carbon from head and cylinders
 Gasket match intake, exhaust manifolds and head.
 Polish Intake and cam cover while theyíre off. Clean coolant corrosion off head and TB too
 Pull out aircon (to save some weight and itís got no pump belt and the aircon core completely covers the IC, it has a pusher fan in front of the aircon core too). Itís a fat car and no need for something that would only get used 2 months a year yet drain power and fuel for the other 10 months.
 New disks and pads all round (possible conversion potential here but want to keep the ABS)
 Manual Box with hydraulic clutch (hopefully M90)
 Polyurethane (front) or Polyurethane or Delrin bushes for the rear IRS (may have to make (or have made) all the rear ones). I havenít used a lathe since my engineering course in collage but with access or a bargain used one form somewhere who knows.
 Lowering springs + shocks (Front is higher than the rear. It still has the Nivomat springs on even thought the shocks have gone) I would like it to be the height as the rear is now but all-round.
 Better IC Pace? Or maybe one of you guys could ship me a PSIC if I get one on E-bay. the one I saw on there now is going for $225 buy now new with pipes.
 2.5Ē-3.5Ē exhaust with one box
 Chip with Bigger injectors
 Possible bigger wheels preferably Volvo but Iíd be happy with 205/55 15ís on the Dracoís from my wagon
 Take Front suspension and rear IRS apart clean off rust and re-weather proof (car comes from a place were a lot of road salt is used hence the rust)
 Give paint some attention thereís a flaky stone chip on the bonnet, a scratch on the left rear passenger door and some peeling paint from under the rear bumper.

Iíve had the idea of sacking off the Inline 4 redblock and going for a 960 24 valve Inline 6 turboíd maybe i could use twin using T6 manifolds (I thinks) and EMS and some work to lower compression. A S80 T6 engine would be nice and clean install with a M90H or L gearbox even standard it would be good with 270+hp and plenty of torque throughout the range, chipped even better.

Happy Volvoing

Michael

Ps.. i've got a RRFPR coming for my 740 so that will goin when the 740 goes.

PPs.. Dave's pissed at me as both my cars have 531 heads

PPPs.. I've added pics of Rusty IRS and rear end Neg camber due saggy springs

IMís
Raven01nexus (donít use it comes trough to AOL main)
KTP Disciple 2
Callmekate bob
Mr slapped arse

MikeHardy
02-06-2003, 07:27 AM
RRFPR now in my 740

http://www.pbase.com/image/12265839

mike

MikeHardy
02-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Right I had to post this

This car was sold as it had a recurring coolant leak and the previous owner was told that the headgasket was leaking into the coolant system therefore blowing the pipes due to excess pressure.
Now the car has been into a dealer for this coolant problem and they traced it to the thermostat housing so they removed thermostat and checked it over and refitted it with new seals and some gasket sealant. The man then took it away and the problem was still present (it starts leaking after a few seconds) so he parked it up 6 months ago and left it.

I was reading on the 7xx/9xx FAQ and tech tips about the cooling system and it says that the thermostat should be mounted with the bleed hole at the top but I dismissed this as I assumed it would have been checked at the dealer. But I was chatting to Dave in THE ROOM and asked him if it would cause the problems it was having and he agreed.
So I popped outside and whipped of the thermostat and low and behold bleed hole at the bottom, so I clean all the sealant off it, pops it back in, hooks up the hose and fired it up. The car reached normal operating temp without spraying water everywhere so it looks like that problems fixed.

So anyway the project will continue as planed but I not sure what engine/geabox to keep/put in so Iíll do all the other work first.

Be well and replicate

mike