• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Best way to add rear tire clearance

fsl

300+ Member
300+ Club
How did you all remove/bend the rear fender lip? Can you just cut it off all the way? Pics :)
Fitting my 8x16" MIM Juventus with 26x10.5-16 ET Streets :)

first of all, what car? what year? Purpose for car?
And without this info i can say put in bigger wheel tubs and beef up suspension mounts while at it. Slicks put WAY more strain on them. Wheelspin saves drivelines...... Cutting will work, though probably illegal off the track, and hard to do clean and good looking. Widebodied volvos look stupid. leave the widebodies to the ricers.

the mere fact you have MIM's makes me want to hurt you (as they are nice very nice very rare wheels), but you can roll and pull the fenders but other then cutting they wont fit very easily.

It's a 245. Ford 9" rear-end. The tires are for dragracing.

So cutting the lip is fine?

so the rear wheel well:
it's made of an inner and outer piece that are folded over and spot welded to eachother. Drill out the spot welds to separate the inner from outer fender. Cut the lip off of the inner fender and fold, push, cuss at, pound the lip of the outer fender in and up to cover the cut portion of the inner. roll as much as you can, then weld them back together. prep and paint so it doesn't rust. install wheels with fatty tires, and roll one last time just for good measure.

this is the easiest way to do it. Towery, Rob, Ben, and Kenny have all done similar but more advanced and elegant techniques to put even fatter tires on.

This is mine, lowered a bit, with 255 section tires
92743278.jpg

I cut mine and silicon'd the little gaps. Has worked and stayed sealed for about a year and a half now.

Back