PDA

View Full Version : I NEED RACING SEATS

TurboBrick940
02-19-2003, 04:07 AM
I also need suggestions as to which ones to purchase...

I'm really not too spooky about cost, I just want something comfortable for the long haul, as well as something more durable than my second set of volvo leather (too expensive to be wearing out the bolsters again and again).

Anybody with any experience?

GhoSSt
02-19-2003, 04:59 AM
I also need suggestions as to which ones to purchase...

I'm really not too spooky about cost, I just want something comfortable for the long haul, as well as something more durable than my second set of volvo leather (too expensive to be wearing out the bolsters again and again).

Anybody with any experience?

Well.. Here's my take on it. Seats that are racing suitable, are often not very comfy on a 500 mile road trip. And seats that are comfy, aren't worth a crap at the track. So a compromise is in order.

If you're looking for seats that are comfy as heck, and lots of support there are not many options in the STOCK Volvo world that measure up. As much as I hate to venture here, the seats from a 93 - 99 Pontiac Bonneville are hard to beat. With spacers you can bolt them directly to Volvo rails like I did with my Catera seats. They are available in a boatload of material/color combos, the most common ones being tan/grey leather, and blue, grey, maroon and tan cloth. They are also plentiful, especially the cloth ones, and cheap. If color is an issue, SEM dye works great and is cheap. If my recollection is mistaken on the pan of the seats a couple of crossbars should give you the ability to mount the volvo seats right up. Catera seats are also an option. I have a couple of sets in black that I'm saving for something, god knows what. I really like mine, plus you can use the power recline and heat. I just wired the heat up to a pair of stock heated seat switches. The power recline is easily solved with 2 old power window switches mounted in the rise near the floor.

This is the Impala SS write up on installing Bonneville seats. Not REAL helpful, but good pics.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6650/bonnyseats.html

Here's another install:

http://speed.4adrive.com/int_bon_seats.shtml

mr.P
02-19-2003, 05:57 AM
Hi.
I have "Momo streetracer" in my 240. Very comfy seat, and at the same time you are totaly stuck. If you want to drive fast, you don't need to cling on in every turn, you can use all your power and consentration on the stearingwheel and the road.
It's a bit expensive though. 900$ pr.seat I think will be correct "translated" into US dollars.(with mounting brackets)
If you are driving a rather long distance you should get the pillow to put behind your back as well. Don't know what it's called in english, but it has the same function as the little wheel on the original Volvoseat. Supports your back.
Here it's a pillow that attaches to the seat using that stuff that you had on your sneakers when you were 5-6years old. Those shoes without laces.

I can try to take some pictures of it...I can't find a picture that shows the whole seat at the moment.

Oskari
02-20-2003, 10:39 AM
I was thinking about these to my brick: http://www.kiiltovaunu.com/sparco.htm

volvorsport
02-21-2003, 06:28 AM
omp have some cheap ones .

Motordrive can be tailored to your butt . ive sat in quite a few motodrive seats , very nice .

Hank Scorpio
02-21-2003, 10:09 AM
I've got Corbreau Carrea's and they are amazing. I am however, about 2-4"s to wide for them, so while I fit, about 4 hours is the longest I can go in them. I actually find them very comfortable up untill then.

Doug

Anonymous
02-21-2003, 05:52 PM
Hello

I have a Sparco Evo 2 drivers seat in my GT and I love it. It takes a little time to get used to getting in and out but other than that its great. I can go about 4 hours no problem, and if I bought the lumbar air pouch thingy I could probably go more. I am 5'10 215 lbs..

Chris