PDA

View Full Version : 1993 240 dash into a 1982 240? How to and what do I need?

mr brick driver
03-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Do, I need to change the metal support that holds the dash on? Is their anything I need other then the new dash? Thanks for any information, Nick.

don hodgdon
03-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Do, I need to change the metal support that holds the dash on? Is their anything I need other then the new dash? Thanks for any information, Nick.

There is a good Dash Swap How-To (http://volvo2.homestead.com/Dash.html) on Dave Shannon's site (http://volvo2.homestead.com/).

I'm afraid it doesn't answer your question though. IIRC, the late dash fits '81+ cars without any modification.

lt1240
03-11-2011, 11:18 AM
I have done this swap on my '77 244. You will need the bracket to the left of the heater box as well as the lower dash under the column and it's mounting brackets and the column cover. I used the metal support that goes across the car to support the dash from a '86 240 (since my car lacked most of the interior when i got it) so your stock one should work. However, the columns or at least the ignition switchs must be different on the newer cars because my ignition switch sets back a little too far but that's the only problem I ran into. It's fairly easy to install. Hope this helps.;-)

Karl Buchka
03-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I have done this swap on my '77 244. You will need the bracket to the left of the heater box as well as the lower dash under the column and it's mounting brackets and the column cover. I used the metal support that goes across the car to support the dash from a '86 240 (since my car lacked most of the interior when i got it) so your stock one should work. However, the columns or at least the ignition switchs must be different on the newer cars because my ignition switch sets back a little too far but that's the only problem I ran into. It's fairly easy to install. Hope this helps.;-)

I'm afraid it doesn't help in the least. The OP has an 82 with a newer style dash.

Redwood Chair
03-11-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm afraid it doesn't help in the least. The OP has an 82 with a middle years style dash.

FTFY

His key surround will still be proud,and the knee bolster brackets will need retrofitting.
The central HVAC vent supply tube is also different.

vegasbrick
03-11-2011, 04:48 PM
FTFY

His key surround will still be proud,and the knee bolster brackets will need retrofitting.
The central HVAC vent supply tube is also different.

+1 - I found this out the hard way when I put an '89 dash in an '83 - had to go back and get it so I could finish the swap.

lt1240
03-13-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm afraid it doesn't help in the least. The OP has an 82 with a newer style dash.

Is the '82 not the same as a '86? I fail to see how this info is irrelevant...

I guess I should have added that my interior has nothing from '77 since it was mostly gutted when I got it. I have a column and cross bracket from '86 and the rest is '93 including the heater box.