• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

V8 Faq

n xntrx volvo

conversions
200/ ls1 conversion
200/ 5.0 sbf conversion
200/ 5.0 sbf conversion by converse
700/ 5.0 sbf conversion
700/ lt1 sbc conversion
discusions
fittment/ fun thread
motor discussion
technical
carb vs fuel injection
pros/ cons/ sizes/ weights of various v8's
places to buy parts
converse
thoughts on converse
jags that run/ stealth
discussion
discussion forum

faq stolen from brickboard

Where can I get information on putting a V8 in my Volvo?
Commercial:
There are two companies that currently sell parts and/or information on the addition of a V8 into your Volvo.

Converse Engineering specializes in Ford 302/5.0L conversions into 200/700/900 series Volvos. Converse sells kits for conversions. They also convert cars, using their kits with either buyer provided vehicles or building a full car to your specifications.

Jaguar?s that Run (JTR) creates conversion manuals for instruction on how to put a Chevy V8 motor into your Volvo. A 200 series manual is currently being sold. A 700 series manual has been promised since some time before 1996. JTR also sells a number of conversion parts for the Chevy motors.

Non-Commercial:
The Brickboard V8 forum is the primier source of Volvo V8 conversion information. Here you will find a few dozen experienced people who have converted their Volvos to V8 power. In addition, you will find people who are in process of converting their Volvos. Sometimes you will also find people selling their converted cars.

How much will a conversion cost?
A V8 conversion can be VERY expensive. The least expensive conversions have cost ~$2,000. However, conversion costs are more typically in the $5,000-$8,000 range, with others exceeding $20,000. This is NOT for the faint of heart. Money is spent on every little part.

How long will a V8 conversion take?
V8 conversions will take considerably longer than you imagine. I do not know of ANY V8 owner who considers their car ?finished,? although many of us drive our car on a regular basis. Personally, my conversion took 3 years to get street legal. Two and a half of those years the car sat in my garage in many pieces. The last 6 months I worked every evening and weekend, putting in 60 hours/week on my car.

Are there shops that will do the conversion for me?
Converse Engineering is the most well known conversion shop. However, their location in ME, makes the shop far away for many buyers. If you expect a shop to do a good job on your conversion, they will take some time on it. Estimates of 100 hours of shop time seem to be common for the conversion. At shop rates, this will cost you at least an additional $5,000 above the estimated conversion costs above. If a shop tells you they can do the conversion for less money than that, don?t believe them. They will either not finish the job, or create a car that you don?t want to drive.

How much will the V8 conversion add to the weight of my car?
It depends. Volvos with lighter 4 cylinder engines will experience more significant weight gains than those with V6 or Diesel engines. Modern small block V8 motors, with Aluminum heads and water pumps will add ~100lbs to the weight of your car. A transmission to match the V8 could add another 25lbs (manual) or 75lbs (automatic). Other additions, such as increase diameter sway bars, larger front springs, bigger radiators, etc. will add to the total weight of your conversion. In general, people have found that their V8 conversions are 150-200lbs. heavier than they started.

-Aaron

Last edited:
n xntrx volvo said:
dana can we put this somewhere?

Instead of just pilfering my example posts from the brickboard, why not wait until the V8 faq is complete? (or at least through a first revision)

We would love to have your input on a V8 FAQ. (Brickboard V8 FAQ Discussion) When all of the input is gathered, it will be available to all volvo enthusiasts.

take care,
simon

Back