PDA

View Full Version : FCP's ScanTech E-codes

760T man
04-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Anyone have experience with them? The brand name sounds a warning to stay away, but are they decent or do they actually live up to the infamous ScanTech reputation?

The flood of DJ Auto E-codes on [sleaz]ebay from a couple or so years back seems to have dried up. For all I know the 2 brands could be distributing the same product.

Mainly I don't want the adjusters to break the first time I try to aim them and of course a good beam pattern.

gsellstr
04-03-2011, 09:36 PM
I've got just e-code lenses on Gwen's R. The light pattern from the fcp-grade lens sucks compared to the OE one on the other side. It's got a giant hole in a critical spot that the left side doesn't have.

pro_star
04-04-2011, 12:44 AM
I don't have a problem with mine.

Homer
04-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Quite a noticeable difference between OEM and DJauto (which FCP sells)

pinguin
04-04-2011, 12:56 AM
No issue with mine, I broke an adjuster, but that was my fault entirely...

245gti
04-04-2011, 01:07 AM
I just got a set of lenses from FCP for my big ecodes. I'm pretty disappointed with the definition in the lens patterning. I'll see what they're like once I get them installed but I suspect my light pattern won't be nearly as crisp. They are in ScanTech boxes but are DJAuto lenses. I'm going to take some pictures comparing the lenses when I get the other ones out...

Homer
04-04-2011, 01:09 AM
I just got a set of lenses from FCP for my big ecodes. I'm pretty disappointed with the definition in the lens patterning. I'll see what they're like once I get them installed but I suspect my light pattern won't be nearly as crisp. They are in ScanTech boxes but are DJAuto lenses. I'm going to take some pictures comparing the lenses when I get the other ones out...

The reflectors are noticeably worse too. It's disappointing really.

760T man
04-04-2011, 05:43 AM
Thanks, guys. I'll just get used OEM from one of the Europeans.

stylngle2003
04-05-2011, 12:29 PM
I have the DJauto ones also. Big dark spot right in the middle of my driving path, it is nearly impossible to adjust around i t. That, and the adjusters suck really bad (very stiff to turn, not smooth action, hardly does anything to the light pattern). But the price was right (200 shipped used) so what the hell. Better than OEM dot crap

buzz
04-05-2011, 12:35 PM
That, and the adjusters suck really bad (very stiff to turn, not smooth action, hardly does anything to the light pattern).

I took my lights apart and added a few dabs of greases here & there. Much smoother.

WindowsBreakerG4
04-05-2011, 01:12 PM
I love that even really ****ty ecodes are still better than DOT lights

gsellstr
04-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Gwen's has the exact same...dark spots RIGHT where you need the light.

shaved240
04-05-2011, 03:07 PM
I have the dj auto ones, which I believe is what fcp sells. They are a little crappy compared to OEM. I have OEM e-codes, and dj auto crap. The oem fitment is beautiful (as to be expected) , with the turn signals sitting flush in the front fascia area. The dj auto ones don't sit flush too well, and don't bolt into the front fascia easily. You have to kind of maneuver the bolts to sit inside it. In addition, the bucket doesn't really sit all that flush with the back of the front fascia (where it bolts in).

GSWAGON
04-05-2011, 04:41 PM
damn, I just figured I didnt know how to adjust them properly. my DJ auto never seem to aim high enough.

dl242gt
04-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I've had the DJ auto ones for about 3 years now and they have served me well. The quality is ok with me as I despise and loath the plastic garbage we got as headlights. I've had to epoxy the mounting studs a couple of times till they stopped popping out and when I was first installing them I had to swap a wire on the parking lights to get them to work. But for the price and ease of buying them they have been a good product.

Someday I would like to get a set of OEM ecodes but with the prices and shipping being what they are. It's going to be awhile before that happens.

fivealive
04-05-2011, 08:45 PM
imo...

new OEM e-codes > used OEM e-codes > new US DOT lights > DJ Auto e-codes > used US DOT lights

the problem is that new US DOT lights fade fast, especially if you live somewhere sunny, and for that kind of money, you might as well buy new e-codes. DJ AUTO e-codes strike a decent compromise between price and quality, and as long as you get a powerful bulb in them, the light pattern is OK.

WindowsBreakerG4
04-05-2011, 08:46 PM
940 DOT lights are actually glass

larry818
04-06-2011, 03:45 AM
I replace flawless dot plastic with DJ e-codes. The DJ, while they do suck, are way better than flawless DOT.

760T man
04-06-2011, 04:58 AM
940 DOT lights are actually glass

Unless you have a '93-on poverty special.

SquareD
04-06-2011, 02:45 PM
I wish you could put glass ecode lenses on the non fog dot headlight buckets.

wolf_walker
04-07-2011, 01:29 AM
You should drive a car with sealed beams for like, ten years. The stock 86- 240 DOT's look like the sun. I keep forgetting to flip my brights on. :)

wolf_walker
04-07-2011, 01:30 AM
You should drive a car with sealed beams for like, ten years. The stock 86- 240 DOT's look like the sun. I keep forgetting to flip my brights on. :)