• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Presenting: The Beggar. (white trash 245)

DrvSfly

Bored Clown
Beggar1.jpg

Custom pinstriping brought to you by Hangoutfest 2011.

Beggar2.jpg

half coil in the front.

Beggar3.jpg

single in the back.

Beggar4.jpg

1984 245
'81 kjet b21
lh2.0
960 injectors
****ty neuspeed filter
White trash american racing(?) rimps.
NOS 240 and 740 exhaust pieces. Hollowed cat (but didn't sell it dammit)
cost:0cents

Backstory: On a test drive I found one of our customers out of oil on the side of the road. swung back around the shop grabed some oil to get him back to the shop. It was already knocking. Looking in the paper I saw a 245 for sale. It was this one. So I bought for for $300. 3 months later Koolaided the side of the block. Found an '81 244 with a kjet b21. Bought that and swapped in the motor cuz I needed something to drive fast. Scrapped the 244 making my money back. Drove that with a bad harness till I got the 780 while I was building the bus motor.
Ended up selling the 245 to my buddy for the price I paid. He needed a car "that day". He bought a harness for it but never put it on. Ended up shooting himself in the head. I inherited it, put the harness on and put in a couple fuel pumps and she was good to go.
Its ****ty rich on startup. Bad IAC valve with a battery post cap regulating idle (turbobrick'd). Found some 960 injectors on a junk motor around the shop that are the design III bosch deals (I'll report on that later). My boss offered up these really ****ty looking cast deals a customer brought in on a 740 many years ago. I initially turned my nose up on them but in the end I needed 4 15" wheels and they fit that size. I bought too tall a tire for my bus in the pics so, to not waste tires, I decided to use those tires on the front with a set of take offs found around the shop in the back.
My goal for this thing is MPG and to never break down (lulls). Its my daily. Its trusty. It just runs ****ing rich on startup then smooth after that. I don't take this thing too seriously and I haven't washed it since I've gotten it back. I'm playing around with different things to get better mpg (taller tires, different injectors, minor aero craps)
See it live in person at SE-X: The Beggar. :uh:

Not bad. Would ditch the rack, tho. Did that on our silver '84 245GL. Went from 22ish mpg to 25+ mpg.

-J

DUBS was not my idea. Damn kids downtown. Looks like I'm going to try swapping a B cam for a T cam. Once again, still free.

Beggar5.jpg

Beggar6.jpg

Beggar7.jpg

So under all that **** was a pretty decent lookin car. I dig it. The wheels came out VERY nice! If they lookied like that when I was first offered them, I might not have turned my nose up to them...

The rack is nonnegotiable. Went to hangoutfest with the back completely full then had to pile several boxes on top. Quite functional.

Not bad. Would ditch the rack, tho. Did that on our silver '84 245GL. Went from 22ish mpg to 25+ mpg.

-J
Maybe i should try that on my 90. Didnt figure it was that big of a deal!

Beggar5.jpg

Beggar6.jpg

Beggar7.jpg

So under all that **** was a pretty decent lookin car. I dig it. The wheels came out VERY nice! If they lookied like that when I was first offered them, I might not have turned my nose up to them...

The rack is nonnegotiable. Went to hangoutfest with the back completely full then had to pile several boxes on top. Quite functional.

Stock racks suck, but yours is chrome so its cool. :) I have a thule clamp on setup on my car as well, theoretically it could be stored in the back of the car when not needed, and takes about 5 minutes to set up. holds a lot more weight than stock. i just leave it on the roof even though ive only used it like twice.. :)

Actually, rack could be negotiable. Get a Yakima rack with a loadwarrior basket. Use it only when needed. Hauls up to 300 lbs (150 lbs per crossbar). Much better than the 70 lbs that the factory "chrome dream" is rated for. I actually once had about 500 lbs of lumber on my Yakima rack when my dad and I needed to haul some fencing materials home. Rack was fine, but the car was definitely bouncing off the bump stops in the rear. No roof or raingutter damage, though.

@leslie_s, go for it. Hit up an ACE hardware, get the 5/8" grommets for the holes, and the 3/8" nylon plugs.

-J

Back