• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

780 Bertone Turbo+

volvere

780 Bertone "Turbo Plusplus"

Here's the story of my 780 Bertone Turbo 1990. It was imported a few months ago from Sacramento, California back to cold Scandinavia! :)

Bertone was originally sold to Honolulu, Hawaii. The first owner sold it to California in 2004, having 11666 miles on the clock according to Carfax files. My friend spotted the car for me, I got it in quite a good price because it did not pass the California emission tests anymore.

The Bertone is still in very good shape, now 62496 miles. Runs great, never been in an accident.
- original 1990 Turbo+ model, B230FT "Generation 3", 188hp, 279Nm
- AW-71 automatic
- color code 405, Warm Silver Metallic
- upholstery code 2910, Grey/Black
- IRS rear suspension with Nivomat shocks
- extra accessories: armrest with cup holders, wind deflector for the sunroof and after market rear spoiler

I made my decision to purchase this car after seeing these first pictures from California but my friend also has a contact person in California who checks personally all the cars for him.

780-1.jpg

780-2.jpg

780-5.jpg

780-7.jpg

780-10.jpg

Last edited:
780 Bertone "Turbo Plusplus"

Then we picked up the car after the long sea trip back to Europe!

780turbo-1.jpg

780turbo-4.jpg

And then we just had to have a photo session with my friends really nice red 780 V6 Bertone! :cool:

bertonet-1.jpg

780turbo-2.jpg

bertonet-2.jpg

780turbo-3.jpg

780turbo-8.jpg

780turbo-7.jpg

780turbo-6.jpg

780turbo-5.jpg

780-talvi-4.jpg

Last edited:
After inspecting the car I found only a few minor flaws in it. Dash has a crack, driver's door panel is also cracked, two small dings in the body, nothing serious.
I found some nice NOS parts for the car: both door panels, grille and euro headlights.

780-osat-1.jpg

780-osat-2.jpg

And I just happened to have the freshly painted Polaris wheels for the car!! ;-)

780-talvi-1.jpg

780-talvi-2.jpg

780-talvi-3.jpg

sweet car. I have been looking for a clean one like that for awhile. Polaris wheels look so good on a 780, do you plan to lower it?

Car looks AMAZING! Nice find

Thanks, not bad for a $2500 car? ;-)

And if somebody wondered why I wanted to import a old Volvo from US? There are only a few 780 Bertones in Finland and hardly ever for sale. And Turbo models were not available here in Finland and as far as I know even not available in Sweden??

And finally the reason why only a few Bertones were sold in Finland. Cars here in Finland have always been ridiculously expensive. I have a price list from 1989, prices started from 240GL, $39000, 760 Turbo was expensive, $79000, but the 780 Bertone did cost the unbelievable $118800 !!! :-P

And back then in 1989, you could purchase a brand new house for a $118800?

So how much would this car sell for in Finland being that they are so rare over there? How much did it cost to get it shipped?

Really nice 780! Looks like the right front wing has been repainted or is that just in the picture?

And a new door card, wow! Those are really €€€€$$$$ these days

So how much would this car sell for in Finland being that they are so rare over there? How much did it cost to get it shipped?

Here in Finland the selling price would be about $15000-$20000 at least with turbo and low mileage? And about the same in other European countries I think?

The actual shipping costs about $2000, but then there will be other payments, taxes etc. for about $3500?

Someone recognized the rear spoiler, it comes from '82-'84 Pontiac Trans Am.

84transam5.jpg

So, does that make me the Knight Rider? :oogle:

853096910_TV_KNIGHT_RIDER_CARx-large.jpg

Now I got the car in my own garage, I think it has seen the snow for the first time in it's life? :)

780-talvi-5.jpg

780-talvi-6.jpg

780-talvi-7.jpg

And here's a picture of the new euro headlights.

780-talvi-8.jpg

Before the technical inspection I need to change the headlights and add the front fender blinkers, luckily the holes for them are there already under the Volvo side emblems.

Dude, what!? $2500! Wow, great find. Not many 780's left out there and even fewer that aren't a hot mess. I agree that polaris look perfect on 780.

In the states, suggesting getting some polaris is basically a pipedream. In europe, it's just the next set of pictures... LOL

Thanks guys!
hattua.gif

I wouldn't put on any spoiler to 780, but the damn thing is drilled through the trunk lid? So I am not going to weld and paint the lid, at least right now.
Luckily that spoiler fits the car like it was meant for 780? :)

Back