PDA

View Full Version : IPD Nivomat Conversion Kit - 1993 940t

richbonilla
10-22-2004, 01:21 PM
anyone using the IPD nivomat conversion kit on their 940? i just up graded my front struts to the hd biletein struts...and i am ready to "do" the rear...my 940 has just under 250,000 miles on origional "factory equipment"...so...i see IPD has a kit to onvert to springs and hd bilsteins on the rear...vs. the factory "nivomat" set up...if anyone is using this "mod" , how do you like it? can you feel a difference in driving? thanx.....

IPD Nivomat Conversion Kit - 1993 940t

Kjets On a Plane
10-22-2004, 02:15 PM
I think this is for IRS cars. SOlid axle cars just need to have the springs swapped from a non nivomat sedan or wagon. So, for your 940, unless it specifically has nivomats and nivomat springs (very very unlikely on a 93 944T), you just need to change the rear shocks (pretty easy) from the stock boge auto to something like a bilstein or whatever you want, if you have nivomats, just find a 944 without them and swap springs (not that hard either).
IRS cars use a fairly hard to find soft spring and the shock mounting is nivomati specific. IPD offers a conversion kit that allows you to adapt the nivomati specific mounting to a conventional shock like a bilstein HD, and offers springs that are srtong enough to hold the back end up and work with the bilsteins. I think John Belmont who wrote the brickboard bilstein conversion article for IRS cars used 240 overload springs modded to fit a 780. I coudl be wrong about that, but the article says that he found a stock volvo spring that could work in the IRS.

richbonilla
10-22-2004, 02:47 PM
cool...thanx 945ti for the info...so, unless i have ind rear suspension...i can be good w/just the shock itself upgrade......the springs do not ever really "wear out", right? it is just some folks perfer a different spring tension or ride hight?...i should not have to mess w/my springs?...

Hoggster
10-22-2004, 03:31 PM
There is a very slight chance that you do have nivomats as a factory or dealer installed option, however the vast majority of 940s had conventional spring/shock setup. If you have a normal car and are happy with the springs you have in it now, then all you will have to do is change the shock itsself.

Here's a list of cars (7/9 series) that had nivos as standard equipment:

740 se
940 se
anything with IRS

Kjets On a Plane
10-22-2004, 07:41 PM
cool...thanx 945ti for the info...so, unless i have ind rear suspension...i can be good w/just the shock itself upgrade......the springs do not ever really "wear out", right? it is just some folks perfer a different spring tension or ride hight?...i should not have to mess w/my springs?...
Well, springs do actually sag some over time which can cause a somewhat poor ride and on a volvo they will sag in the back and make the car look like a sailboat in the wind. IF your car doesn't sag, and the shocks don't have a black flex bellows, then you can just replace the shock, your springs aren't sagging and you don't have nivomats. I would read the brick board a couple of times, sometimes on a salt car (like a CO car) you have to use a few tricks to get the rusty bottom bolt out but if you read carefully and make sure you use PB you can do the job pretty easy. You would have needed to remove the bottom bolts if you installed an IPD rear bar though, which is about teh hardest part. I might try to buy the bilsteins from either FCPgroton or shox.com, since IPD is significantly more expensive, if IPD has a sale I sometimes do better there because there si no shipping.
You don't have IRS, no 93 940 did, a 93 964 would have.

Volv-a-Ratti Man
10-22-2004, 08:30 PM
I did the IPD conversion for a '94 965 from Nivomat to Bilstein with the new springs and 25 mm sway bar. My advice is the IF you have Nivomats, like I had with the solid rear axle and not IRS, don't change the Nivo's unless they sag and are going out, because when working they are better than the conversion (I did this w/40k on the car).
I am looking for a rare set of 245 nivomat springs (option on '81-~'84 245's), because I want to put these big Nivomat's from the 965 on my 245 and get rid of the squishy rear IPD springs and Bilsteins. Yech!

richbonilla
10-24-2004, 01:11 PM
great...thanx everyone for the feedback...