PDA

View Full Version : Tdo4- 16T pics

ZVOLV
10-26-2004, 09:11 PM
Here are a few pics of a tdo4 16T from a 1998 s70. I am posting them mainly so you guys can see how big the turbine housing outlet is. The turbo in the pics is sold, but I have a tdo4 15g with the same type of turbine housing for sale if anybody is interested. If you want a 16t like this I have another of those for sale too.

http://img90.exs.cx/img90/5530/16Tbigoutlet.jpg
http://img90.exs.cx/img90/7419/16TFrontandparts.jpg
http://img90.exs.cx/img90/4939/16Tside.jpg
http://img90.exs.cx/img90/4166/16TFront1.jpg
http://img90.exs.cx/img90/8168/16Tlabel.jpg
http://img90.exs.cx/img90/8188/16Tinletflange.jpg
http://img98.exs.cx/img98/3017/16Tcompressor.jpg

Kirby
10-26-2004, 09:15 PM
you mean a TD05-16G?

but I have a tdo4 15g with the same type of turbine housing for sale

thelostartof
10-26-2004, 10:03 PM
you mean a TD05-16G?

no he means TD04-15g as in stock volvo

Kirby
10-26-2004, 10:12 PM
woah I'm on crack I totally read that wrong. I read 16G like every time I looked at it wtf.

Kjets On a Plane
10-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Nah, TD04HL. Td04 is the turbine/center section family, H means integrated CBV, L means a larger variant on the TD04 family that uses a somewhat larger turbine adn slightly different center section if I am not mistaken.
I love the compressor blades on that thing, and it is soo clean. I may actually be able to hold off on having a 19T wheel and compressor housing fitted. I'll have to make a bracket or two to mount up the WG, but I forsaw that. Anyway, I am the buyer of the turbo pictured above, and am about to pay guidom for it. That compressor for such a small thing looks absolutely mean. Bye bye M46 and clutch, time to sink money into a T5. I think that thing will blow more air than my injection/intercooler/trans is capable of, but the 13C is no place to start moddin, so I am just going to loose it preemtively. Current winter break plan is to slap that on there with a well ported manifold and turbine housing, 3" DP adn cat and mod PS IC adn no AC.
Then later I will actually deal with the trans and lack of fuel and spark. I know it is an odd mod order, but I always wanted a turbo more intended for a manual gearbox that would spool fast like the 13C.

ZVOLV
10-27-2004, 12:48 AM
I will try to get some more pics of the compressor that show it better. The compressor is crazy looking on that thing. The smaller set of blades have curved leading edges instead of the blades being completely straight. You can kind of see it in the pics above. The big impeller blades look pretty agressive too.

And yes, I have a tdo4 15g for sale also. Not to be confused with the tdo5 16g. Tdo4 not tdo5. The difference is the tdo5 uses a bigger turbine wheel. The late 80's 740 uses a tdo5 12b and the 90+ use a tdo4 13c. The fwd cars are basically all tdo4 based with a few exceptions. I can believe how tiny the turbos are on the twin turbo s80.

Kjets On a Plane
10-27-2004, 01:08 AM
I will try to get some more pics of the compressor that show it better. The compressor is crazy looking on that thing. The smaller set of blades have curved leading edges instead of the blades being completely straight. You can kind of see it in the pics above. The big impeller blades look pretty agressive too.

And yes, I have a tdo4 15g for sale also. Not to be confused with the tdo5 16g. Tdo4 not tdo5. The difference is the tdo5 uses a bigger turbine wheel. The late 80's 740 uses a tdo5 12b and the 90+ use a tdo4 13c. The fwd cars are basically all tdo4 based with a few exceptions. I can believe how tiny the turbos are on the twin turbo s80.
Yea, S80 has uber dinky turbos, like a pair to really tiny turbine 12t T or 9B or something really friggin small. Though it isn't like the 16T or even 19T look much larger on the cold side, just much more aggressive. Yea, the 1xT series mitsus are basically mitsu's answer to top end issues intruduced by small straight blades, so they have these absolutely nuts looking multi height blades. I am told that even though the size difference is basically nothing between 15G and 16T that the 16Ts do have a noticable top end improvement without a huge down low sacrafice, and almost no sacrafice if you have a manual trans. It is probably going to sound pretty mean too, the 13C is hilarious it sounds like a vac leak and performs like the little hissing turd it is. T3 42 or even 60 trim have significantly more agressive compressor profiles than all but seemingly the most aggressive mitsu stuff.
The Td05 does have a larger turbine that is more efficient, the TD04HL keeps the lighter parts and basically slaps some more aggressive hardware on a really dinky light weight little turbo.

850glt
10-27-2004, 01:39 AM
Looks familiar. :)

Super1800GTR
10-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Damn that looks nice. What mods do you have to do to make this fit on a b21ft again? Rotate the compressor housing? What about the WG & oil lines?

Rob

Kjets On a Plane
10-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Damn that looks nice. What mods do you have to do to make this fit on a b21ft again? Rotate the compressor housing? What about the WG & oil lines?

Rob

Mods for a 13C car like mine:
1. Use gigantic circlip tool thing to undo that huge clip.
2. Rotate compressor housing to line up like the 13C housing, or approx 180 degrees around. The trubo mounts up side down on the exhaust mani on teh 850 T because the DP attaches on the other side if that makes sense.
2. Make brackets to allow the WG actuator to align properly.
3. Redo DP flange if you get one of the turbos with the big outlet or the big outlet with the elbow. There are plenty of 15Gs out there that have the stock 740 outlet if you want to use that though, I simply chose not to.
4. Some porting of the turbine housing and 90+ mani is recommended.

Additional mods for other cars:
1. You will need the 90+ mitsu/water oil lines.
2. You will also need the AMM hose as it is a lot different on a T3 car, I think the 13C and T25 740 hose still works fine actually, or figure something out if you run a cone.
EDIt: you say B21FT, and I would guess that means teh K-jet airbox. You are going to need to figure out some way of maybe shimming around the compressor inlet or something to that effect to use the K-jet airbox and hose.
4. Though it probably could be made to work with teh pre 90 mani, it is probably best to run it with the 90+ since you would have to port the turbine housing a lot to get it to line up right wiht the hole in the pre 90 mani. You might also need to enlarge the bolt holes on the flange, but I think it should still bolt up, more a question of performance I guess...
5. If you have a T3 car you can delete teh external T3 CBV and run teh internal 16T CBV adn shim it is atouch for high boost, or you can block off the mitsu CBV with a plate or whatever you like and run an aftermarket or stock garrett one. THe mitsu one works well for higher boost when shimmed a bit, so I'll keep it.

Nothing super hard in all that. The brackets will require a little brain power and work, but they aren't rocket science either. That is about the hardest thing I can think of for a 90+ 13C car. For other cars it takes e few parts off a 90+ to make ti work seemlessly. If I had a Kjet car I might upgrade to teh 60 trim compressor on the garrett and call that good or you could use a later turbo if you wanted....

Super1800GTR
10-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm getting rid of k-jet so I won't worry about that part. Do you have to machine the lip off of the manifold or can it stay?

Thanks
Rob

ZVOLV
10-28-2004, 01:13 PM
The lip is the same as the 740 manifolds so you do NOT have to grind down your mani. Very convenient.

Kjets On a Plane
10-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm getting rid of k-jet so I won't worry about that part. Do you have to machine the lip off of the manifold or can it stay?

Thanks
Rob

What year is your 240T? Early manifolds sometime in before ~mid 82 or so use a flat T3 flange which won't work. All volvos beyond that year use the same lip, maybe the really new ones aare different, adn i think the S80' tiny turbos are a little different, but atleast till 2001 they are for sure the same. The port on the pre 90 as I said doesn't match up too well, and I wouldn't really want to use it, but barring some wierdness with the attachment studs on the pre 90 it should work fine.
THe airbox hose thing isn't rocket science either though, it just holds vacuum, so I would just shim it with some rubber from another hose and and clamp it down tight and check for vac leaks, or do away with K-jet, but I would do whichever comes first on your agenda. I will run the 16T and ported 7cm2 exhaust housing. It will be a while before I talk to cherry turbos about teh possibility of strapping an 19T compressor wheel and housing on that bad boy, which I think is possible and fairly easy. I think the 18T only came with the 6cm2 exhaust housing like the 13C, and the 16T looks to me like it has the 7cm2 one, since it does look bigger than the 13C to me. I will know that for certain when I pull the 13C off and really get them side by side.

Overtake Racing
06-12-2006, 07:55 PM
hey fellas, im going to be using the tdo4 turbo on a ga16de motor (96 nissan sentra, 1.6L). Is the tdo4 a t25 or t28?

SwedishFish
06-12-2006, 08:03 PM
hey fellas, im going to be using the tdo4 turbo on a ga16de motor (96 nissan sentra, 1.6L). Is the tdo4 a t25 or t28?

Neither, it's a Mitsubish brand turbo and not a Garrett. A tdo4-13c is the equivalent of a t25 though.