PDA

View Full Version : carbon turbo hoses

derosa
10-29-2004, 01:22 AM
I was wondering if anyone has tried to make carbon turbo hoses for their car, seems like it could be a good idea for eliminating a few rubber connectors, particularly on the intake and would be lighter then metal. Only problems I can really see is turbo to intercooler might be too hot or that the metal lets the air cool more going into and out from the intercooler. Came up with the idea while looking at the hoses I cobbled together when I put the turbo in my car and was trying to decide if this might not be a cooler way to go. It would give me something to work on once the snow here in NY flies and its too cold to work on anything else.

Felixredwoody
10-29-2004, 01:24 AM
Just remember that it takes both heat and pressure for CF to work....yet i dont think there would be a problem doing the hoses in CF. Tim

stylngle2003
10-29-2004, 01:28 AM
it would be hard to mold...youd need to come up with a way to extract the mold that you wrap the carbon around if youre dealing with curves. straight pipes would be simpler, but i think you might also need to reinforce the ends, in order to prevent it from shattering when you tighten the clamps down. its a great idea, and carbon is very fun to work with, but something tells me that it wont really work because if it did, it would be done already. i think aluminum may end up being more worthwhile, and hell, you could carbon wrap it for the look at least. dont let that get you down from at least trying it tho, like, rig up a way to wrap a straight pipe (turbo to ic) and give it a shot. worst case scenario, it doesnt work right, and youre out less than $50. tho if it really blows up, you might get fibers in the engine, or at least stuck in the intercooler, which would be bad juju

jao
10-29-2004, 02:27 AM
i've been looking in to this also.

makeing a non-straight pipe can be pretty involved.

one way is to make a mock-up out of foam and wrap the foam with resin + CF. then afterwards use a solvent to dissolve the foam.

some people do this and then vaccum bag the pipe...

this is pretty much the simplest way to make a pipe

anothe way is to make a multipiece mold and make the pipe in two pieces. afterwards the halves are trimmed and put back into the molds and bolted together. a latex bladder is then used to compress additional cloth and resin to bond the two pieces together.

HTH & good luck!

Felixredwoody
10-29-2004, 02:40 AM
The way to do is use cardboard tubes like a roll of paper towels come on(yes i know the size is off but just an example) Form and cure the tubes then when the CF has cured you soak the whole thing in water.....the form breaks down and comes out easily, learned that on the discovery channel watching them build a HUGE CF rocket. Tim

EvanSargent
10-29-2004, 03:17 AM
Koenigsegg uses carbon fiber hoses

grebnut
10-29-2004, 03:18 AM
gaaa!! i have a fatty pic of a volvo with carbon hoses on it from sweden, but cant find it for the life of me! its aggrevating me to the fullest. oh well! if i find it ill post it up. anyway, yeah, its been done but they only did straight sections. no curves. good luck with that! that would be sick if its possible! later,

ben

quinn_volvo
10-29-2004, 05:51 PM
What I would do is make a mandrel. Then wrap the cf around and let it cure. It might be tough getting the cf off though.. better lube it up real nice.

mfpmax
10-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Someone on Honda-Tech.com or VwVortex.com I believe made carbon fiber piping.

Felixredwoody
10-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Look at this thread to give you a few ideas/pointers for CF stuff
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=2526&highlight=carbon+fibre
If You have never done fibreglass you should start with that, CF mat is expensive. And to get that clean see through resin to work right on CF you are going to probably going to have to do a vacumn curing method to make the surface even. It's really not hard to learn at least the basics. Like i said a cardboard form would be the simplest form to use. The other option is green floral foam, it's easy to work with to make shapes and once the part is cured the foam can be removed. I have done LOTS of fibreglass work (speaker kick panels, custom speaker mounts, single panels in speaker boxes) Doing a tube will definately be a challenge you may want to start out with small diameter tubes to get a working technique down before you commit to a large(more expensive in materials if it doesnt work) tube. I wish You luck and keep us posted how the project is turning out. Tim

84superturbo
10-31-2004, 12:55 PM
here we are.....found be mistake.
http://www.mvpvolvo.com/content/project_images/09122001-183238-Vallakra_2001_-2.jpg

matt.

Super1800GTR
10-31-2004, 02:45 PM
That looks sick!! I don't think there would be any real advantage to doing this, however. Sure it's lighter, stronger, etc. But if you consider time/cost vs. performance... I don't think its' worth the energy.

Rob's .0002

EvanSargent
10-31-2004, 02:53 PM
Carbon fiber would absorb less heat, thats another advantage

derosa
11-01-2004, 12:40 PM
That looks sick!! I don't think there would be any real advantage to doing this, however. Sure it's lighter, stronger, etc. But if you consider time/cost vs. performance... I don't think its' worth the energy.

Rob's .0002Umm screw time, I got plenty of it this spring when classes ended, that is truely sick looking and I'm doing it. Wow. Anyone know whos car that is so I can try to duplicate the rediator/intercooler bracket or have any infor on how to make a front grill like that. Thats a car to imitate if ever I saw one. Just can't do that body colour. Thanks for the image.

MoWGLi
11-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Ive seen, what looks to be, Kevlar pipes before.

Super1800GTR
11-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Umm screw time, I got plenty of it this spring when classes ended, that is truely sick looking and I'm doing it. Wow. Anyone know whos car that is so I can try to duplicate the rediator/intercooler bracket or have any infor on how to make a front grill like that. Thats a car to imitate if ever I saw one. Just can't do that body colour. Thanks for the image.

Hey. More power to you. I hope it comes out well.

Rob

own6volvos
11-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Carbon fiber would absorb less heat, thats another advantage

I could imagine much less heat comes from the engine bay as it does from the turbo itself. The metal pipes probably shed more heat into the engine bay.

Fuse
11-03-2004, 05:08 PM
One guy here has a "Volvo Amazon" (in quotes because that vehicle doesn't have anything else to do with Amazon except the shape of the body and the engine manufacturer ;) ) which has tube frame and cf body. Whole intake manifold is also made from cf. His running 7's with that thing. Previously he had 142 which runned 9's and it was fully street legal. Some pics of that 142 too in the page below at the history section.

http://www.multi.fi/~andrnorr/suntech/bilder/16vi.jpg

More pics and specs at www.suntechmotorsport.tk

stylngle2003
11-03-2004, 05:10 PM
that

intake

is

awesome!!!!!!!!!

wow, what a great site, thanks man