• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

245 headliner speakers

Leivon

1989 245 B230f M47

Just a fun little project I did last night.

I know it's the wrong type of wood on part of the box, and the speakers aren't anything great and there are i'm sure a million things wrong with what I did.

All that aside, this is my 3rd 245 and I've always found it such a hassle to have two bulky 6x9 boxes in the back. I could never bring myself to cut through the inside of the tailgate, or put the 6x9's in the bottom of the back door, so 6x9 boxes were the solution. Anytime the wagon needs to be used for hauling a bunch of crap they have to be moved, or taken out completely and it's just not cutting it anymore.

So...... I decided to see if putting them in a shallow box(divider in the middle) and then attaching them to the ceiling in the back would work for me. The main focus for this was practicality and use of the wagons cargo space, and of course they had to be tucked up enough as not to obstruct my vision. I achieved all of this.

It ain't pretty by any means, but it works.

Hopefully this will inspire somebody with audio install skills to take this on and do it right.

Cheers,
Leivon

Neat idea, but I'd try to rotate them forward to the passengers

It may make it louder in front, but you want to listen slightly off-axis. And the rear speakers being too bright will screw up the imaging.
If I were going about it that way I would leave them firing down.

The purpose was solely to get them off the floor in the back, withouth cutting the door cards, or tailgate. They really do sound great compared to: when they were in sealed boxes on the back shelf in my old 244; when they were unsealed in the back shelf holes of my 242, and when they were just recently in the larger volume boxes in the back of my 245(current car) facing either the front or towards the roof.

I really do just wish someone would do this properly with some nice components or a better set of 6x9's. The edge i drilled into is more than strong enough to hold the weight, and it just keeps things a lot cleaner back there.

Thanks for the replies so far, i'm enjoying the feedback.

Great idea, not even a little kid could sit in the third row seat now, but still neat idea, I always thought about cutting a hole in the wheel well panels, but this is a more clever idea.

Last edited:
good idea man

some suggestions - get a carriage bolt so that the nut wont rub the headliner
migh want try match the headliner arch instead of just a flat piece of wood

bottom line - good job

not bad

and about the direction, your rear door speakers/etc face forward? no they face 90* from the outside wall, this is no different

not bad

and about the direction, your rear door speakers/etc face forward? no they face 90* from the outside wall, this is no different

although my reasoning for the direction was pure and unadulterated laziness, i was able to justify it for this very reason.

would someone just do this properly already.:spin:

Frequency response changes as you get off axis.
A fancy EQ would be able to help get things relatively close in your seating position.
A car is a less than ideal listening environment anyway so it's probably not worth that much trouble.
Most of the time in a car the speakers are firing at the side of your legs so it's probably not much worse to have them behind your head in the ceiling.

If you wanted to get really nutty with making everything as accurate as possible I bet one of these would help: http://www.minidsp.com/

nice go at it there sir! Just from reading the thread title for a second, I thought maybe someone got the idea to mount a Jeep Wrangler bar-speaker kit or something.

Back