PDA

View Full Version : Why Volvo's aren't your moms car

Turbo944
11-16-2004, 07:36 PM
I saw in the articles section of the forum that BOOSTDEMON planned to write an article along these lines in the future. I am just curious to hear what reasons you guys have against the common attack on Volvos (from people who have no idea what they're talking about).
So drop your lines or reasons against this long time misconception! :-D

mikep
11-16-2004, 07:44 PM
The way I see it, when calm drivers buy a desirable vehicle and putt around in it, they are preserving a species for us maniacs.
If all the cool cars were snapped up by gearheads early on they would be gone in a wink.
So the R Sports division of Volvo concocted a scheme whereby the mothers of the world would buy the cars, maintain them, and then sell them (at a fair price) to club racers, drag racers, ice racers, autocrossers, and online communities that revolve around worshipping a tiny percentage of (possibly) female members.

adrianpike
11-16-2004, 07:46 PM
My volvo is my mom's old car. :oops: I have no argument, I just agree with anybody who calls it "your mom's car". Because it is.

Then I beat them in an autocross.

blu92in99
11-16-2004, 07:55 PM
I say let 'em think what they want about Volvos. The more uneducated masses there are, the more Volvos I can buy for cheap $$$. Besides, there's no better look to see than when they ask you what it is that just beat them and you say "it's just a Volvo"... :-D

MikeHardy
11-18-2004, 01:03 PM
errr! volvo is my moms car, and my dads car too

Geoff240Ti
11-18-2004, 01:15 PM
My 244 was my moms old car... I came home from the hospital in my 244 after i was born :-D She's been there since day one!

1stRaven
11-18-2004, 01:18 PM
My was my dad's car that my mom drove. Does that count?

I just like the look on peoples face when they see a modded volvo.

Body Massage
11-19-2004, 08:54 PM
There was a fat kid at a gas station once who asked me if I had a custom exhaust on my car....

"Yes"

"On a Volvo???"

"Yes"

"Why?"

"It's turbo charged and needs to breath"

"It's got turbo?"

"Yes"

pretty good conversation....

anyways back on topic....

When people ask me why I think Volvos are a great performance platform, the answer is simple....The car that holds the record for the most miles is a Volvo...which would make that engine strong and reliable correct? You want a strong and reliable engine when adding horsepower correct? And then they usually see it....or say "But they're sooo ugly!"

But people are just dumb...like the crazy thug gangsta I just parked next to...he gave me this satanic stare like I just ran over his mother...and when I walked behind his car he revved his engine...I'm going off topic again because of coffee........

MistrThou
11-19-2004, 09:03 PM
I bought my Volvo from a mother. Anyways, I had kids in a white ricer at an intersection cut me off. So instead of keeping up to them, I passed them. But then at a red light they caught up to me. I rolled down my window and they asked me to race, so I said sure. Smoked em. I simply told them that I had a turbo afterwards, which is the best way to see the purest dumbfounded look on any person's face.

BoxDriver2
11-19-2004, 09:06 PM
I find it amusing, even though my mom isn't a huge fan of the car always needing a little work here or there, she asks if i could find a later 855 or 945 sometimes.

Not sure if she is serious or not, but doesn't bother me a bit.

People make fun f what they don't understand when it comes to cars.

Perfect example is about 2 summers ago, i was at a small, weekly, import/what have you gathering here.

I know alot of the people around here [because of the car]. A friend who came from work to the meet brought a co worker. The co worker didn't know my car, walked by it [we were all in a group talking etc] and yells, "hey, loo kat that piece of <<expletive>>, the wheels are worth more than the car and i bet a woman drives it [blah blah blah]"...everyone just turns, looks at me. Funniest thing was when some of the people yelled "you'd better run" [i am not a violent person, could care less about comments in general, especially in public]...needless to say, sometimes, people jsut don't get it.

Think wolf in sheeps clothing to any sleeper in general.

samyboy
11-19-2004, 09:22 PM
my mums seccond car was a gold 245 shes had a couple 244's and 2years ago a 460GLE

but she don't have a clue how to drive them :badboy: :badboy: :badboy:

linuxman51
11-19-2004, 10:21 PM
picked up a th350 from a tranny shop today "Whatchall puttin it in? some sorta hotrod?"

"Yeah"
'Whatcha runnin, smallblock 350 or 400?'
"nah, its going behind a 4 cyl"
'WHAT? you wont need the heavy duty stuff for that..'
"well i dunno about that, its gettin a big turbo"
'shooooot'

pat244ti
11-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Good timing.

Here's something that happened yesterday. Usually the people who are serious about trying to bash on your car on the basis "cause its a soccer mom" car are too ignorant and stupid to have to worry about.

Case in point.

Yesterday my class was let off for lunch, so I headed out to the V70R to catch a quick nap. 4 other kids in my class pile into one of them's brand new Audi S4.

I get back to class and am sitting down, minding my own business, when this raspy voiced kid who looks like a rat and has pubic hair all over his chin shouts "so, who's car was that you got in?"

I replied "mine. why's that"

so he goes "cause I was expecting it to be your moms"

me "haha really? It's mine."

tard "yeah it's a f-ing stupid soccer mom mobile why the f**k dont you get a real car"

[me surprised] "excuse me?"

tard "yeah why the hell do you drive that?"

me "I'll be honest- it's comfortable, its reliable, its damn safe, handles good, and its pretty friggin quick. Looks good too. It's pretty sleeper"

tard "Bullsh!t that is not sleeper"

me "What is sleeper?"

tard "You tell me"

me "Something you see at first glance and do not think of it as a fast/quick car, something that exceeds one's previous expectations before they see it in action, thats my take on it"

tard "Bullsh!t thats not the definition a sleeper"

me "Than tell me what is a sleeper"

tard "I for one hate crap-ports. I'm a V8 guy and I like BMW's and other Euro's too like Audi's"

me "That wasnt not the question, please, just name me a car that IS a sleeper"

tard uprgaded level 10 down syndrome "V8 Mustangs and Camaros. They can be made fast for relativly cheap and they look stock"

me "I'm pretty sure anyone at this school know's what they'd be getting from one if they saw/raced one, stock or modded. I agree they are very capable cars, but not sleepers. A LS1 in say, a older Volvo, is more sleeper, even though I'd stick with a Volvo powerplant."

tard "no that's redneck sh!t. It might be fast but I'd actually want to like the car I'd drive when I look at it"

me "whatever man. Hey what country is Volvo from?"

tard "You should know. Japan."

tard's friend with the Audi "the only wagon I'd ever get is the A4 Avant, they're like the fastest wagon ever build next to the Dodge Magnum"

me- [silence]

Moral of my story- Don't clash with idiots like this. Let them be ignorant the rest of their lives, don't waste your time trying to change them.

MistrThou
11-19-2004, 10:39 PM
S***, Volvo's arent Japanese?

:jk:

The Aspirator
11-24-2004, 10:15 PM
Haha Patrick, that was a funny story.

My car used to be my moms too! Does that mean that it really isn't a stereotype? That they actually ARE soccer mom cars?? Yup, she used to take me to soccer practice with it too... Hahahaha.

I love Volvos, they're the best sleepers ever. Right now I've got a blue 244 that goes pretty good, my next car is a silver 245 wagon. One big reason I'm getting it is because it looks even more like a slow POS soccer mom station wagon, but it WILL eat anything and everything in its path. I can't wait to finish it!!! Gimme a few months.

John

Tenacious Todd
11-24-2004, 10:30 PM
My car is too COOL for my MOM. Besides needing simulated grocery bags in the back it is stereotyped as a mommy mobile. But it is all good and no my mom did not give me my car I actually bought this mommy mobile..
http://www.pbase.com/turbo16psi/image/16827860.jpg

Turbo944
11-24-2004, 10:32 PM
I am very amused with the stories, but I am dissapointed to face reality :roll:
I thought there might be some good solid reasons. :-P
I am, however, by no means insecure about my car, lol. I just wanted some good reasons to tell people when they made thoughtless comments like some of the above mentioned examples. I guess the best thing to do is let it roll off from the ppl who really dont know what they're talking about...

Tenacious Todd
11-24-2004, 10:54 PM
I am very amused with the stories, but I am dissapointed to face reality :roll:
I thought there might be some good solid reasons. :-P
I am, however, by no means insecure about my car, lol. I just wanted some good reasons to tell people when they made thoughtless comments like some of the above mentioned examples. I guess the best thing to do is let it roll off from the ppl who really dont know what they're talking about...

Don't worry about what the non believers say about your car.If everyone here cared what OTHER people think about there cars they would all be driving Honda's with coffee can exhaust tips.. Besides it makes me feel better when I HAND someone there ass and say HEY did you see I have (5) DOORS!!!! I get the comments often but I AM very secure and DO NOT really care. I love My mommy mobile grocery getting soccer mom driving wagon.. And yeah MY $%&* is a WAGON more a mommy mobile than your 944.. :-P

740Weapon
11-24-2004, 10:54 PM
i defend insults to my car with three facts and thats it: 1. my time slip. 2. my odometer. 3. my wallet. (14.7 quarter at 272k miles with under $400 in mods.). and if they cant respect/appreciate that then they are whats wrong with america.

and i have yet to be insulted by someone who drives a car faster than mine.

Tenacious Todd
11-24-2004, 11:08 PM
i defend insults to my car with three facts and thats it: 1. my time slip. 2. my odometer. 3. my wallet. (14.7 quarter at 272k miles with under $400 in mods.). and if they cant respect/appreciate that then they are whats wrong with america.

You have some good points but speed and mileage is not the only factor here you should not even FEED into it to begin with I think that as long as your car LOOKS and runs good and who cares about how much money you save you cannot go fast without spending a lot of the green. I have already reached the conclusion my car was a grocery getting soccer mom car but it doesn't matter to me.. I get a lot of younger females ask (do you have kids?) my reply no they say why do you have a wagon I laugh and I say nothing. And just smile.. :-P

Greg Wong
11-24-2004, 11:13 PM

I can insult you if you really want. J/K
We've never met, have we? Maybe sometime when the weather gets better again.

Anyways, yeah, can't dispel the myth, because it's not a myth. Volvos ARE your mom's car. My first car (84 245DL) was my mom's car.

And one of my cars now (90 245) belonged to a teacher woman.

Maybe you can tell people that ol line, something like, "They say Porsche/Corvette drivers are compensating... I drive a Volvo WAGON!" Let them think about that.

Oh yeah, just read the last post... girls love it when they find out I drive a Volvo. It's just not really expected. And women want Volvos.

Greg

Turbo944
11-24-2004, 11:17 PM
Greg,
great point, I never thought about it that way. That is a good response though.

740Weapon
11-24-2004, 11:42 PM
hmmm i drive both a volvo and a corvette. what does that say about me?

blu92in99
11-24-2004, 11:48 PM
Good story Pat. :lol:

When I was young my mom drove me to soccer practice in a V8 Camaro. She's always had some form of sports car her entire life; Austin Healy Sprites, Camaro's, Mustangs, etc. Always V8's except for the Sprite. Now she's contemplating selling her current V8 Mustang for an S60R. :badboy:

Volvo for life, baby! :volvo:

-Justin

Turbo944
nothing, afterall, those presuppositions aren't true right...?

blu92in99
hmmm i drive both a volvo and a corvette. what does that say about me?
Average? :e-shrug:

Turbo944
11-24-2004, 11:51 PM
Average? :e-shrug:
hahaha, I was going to say a confident man with a small one...But that would defeat the purpose of this thread and be an attack on a fellow tb board member; both something I wouldnt want to do. :-P

dcsmrgun
11-25-2004, 11:52 AM
My mom doesn't drive, so.....

corivus
11-25-2004, 12:10 PM
mmmmm I've never heard bad things about it cept from a guy driving a excursion that his dad bought him most of the people I know want me to drop a 454 in it..... And it wasn't owned by a woman my mom or anything else.... look at the pictures of the interior strange drug dealer people owned it I think......

jpbturbo
11-25-2004, 01:39 PM
volvos are the new civic! you heard it here first, hahahahah
I was explaining why I thought volvo 240 series were a decent platform to work with.

My car was my friends grandparents car.
They gave it to him and he decided it wasn't very cool so he sold it to me.
I hope I keep it until I have kids and they are old enough to appreciate it.
Of course first I have to find a wifey.

wisturbo
11-25-2004, 01:42 PM
at least your mothers have heard of a volvo... my mothers heridtary alzheimers is setting in... j/k> (kind of) come to think of it, i wonder if she knows i drive 2 of em?

JW240
11-25-2004, 04:56 PM
Well, I agree that my mum has a volvo (850 T-5 :-D ).
The 240 I'm driving now belonged/still belongs to my dad, and ít was the big car of our family for years.
I jsut hate people that don't know sh*t about cars but still have their opinion and keep them...
I have had many many discussions with people about cars, and usually I end up explaning them why I drive the volvo, why I like it.. they never expect them to be fast, etc.. Tuning is out of question.. really sick..

spongemonster
11-25-2004, 05:35 PM
A little while ago a guy at Costco comes up to me and says "did you know you cna put a 5 litre in that?" I said "yeah but I like a challenge." Then he says "yeah those have the same platform as mustangs." If I wasn't in a hurry there would have been a fistfight. Anyhow my dad bought his volvo after I got mine but he's had 3 before me. He still has a real factory manual for a 122. So yeah my dad's car has a similar exhaust system and a similar intake so my car's not that different just a bit more loud in many ways lol.

It's not my mom's car cause she doesn't drive stick lol oh yeah and it scares moms. It's funny I used to be able to pull up to a girl's house and her parents would be like wow soild guy drives a volvo... now I think I get the solid guy drives a volvo and the omg what is that and it all cancels out to about drive a stock honda fear for parents lol.

Ok rambling
James

foggyjames
11-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Having a 300 in this country is pretty much the worst of the worst. Not only is it uncool, most people would genuinely say its crap. But if anyone asks why...the response is "Because people like you ask...". Having said that, when I've got a boosted B230ET under bonnet, the response will be "Would you like to race?"

There is a guy here with a Nissan Prairie....
http://www.cl.autocosmos.com/noticias/fotos/19313.jpg
...running in the low 13s. That's pretty funny, and the effect I'm looking for.

I'm planning on my new project running more like 10s. Here she is...
http://www.5lab.co.uk/pics/car/crash/images/100_3336.jpg
Gimme a year or three...

cheers

James

jpbturbo
11-26-2004, 04:49 PM
There is a guy here with a Nissan Prairie....
http://www.cl.autocosmos.com/noticias/fotos/19313.jpg
...running in the low 13s. That's pretty funny, and the effect I'm looking for.

My family used to have one of those.
In the states they were called the Nissan Stanza wagon.
Ours had the smaller engine in it but they were available in all wheel drive with(i think) the SR20DE so it would be fairly easy to put the SR20DET(bluebird) engine in it and have it really move on out.

foggyjames
11-26-2004, 05:16 PM
I'm pretty sure we never got them with an engine that powerful :( Hence the surprise when one flew in the 1/4 mile!

cheers

James

volvorod85
11-26-2004, 06:25 PM
"why are you driving grandmas Volvo?"
To which I reply "thats not grandmas volvo"
"So what have you done to it?"

"oh, just a few things"
Its funny, i dont drive the fastest thing on the road, and infact, it only does 15's right now. But the more people that stop to talk to me, dont give me crap for it, they give me respect. I may get smoked by a carrera, but he will always se me in his rear view, and we will both laugh when we get to the next light. People dont screw with my car, its indescript. I drive the opitomy of family suburbia, but i dont drive like suburbia anything...hehe
Mark

tequila_gundam_no_chaser
11-27-2004, 11:44 AM
well, when people look at my car, they look at the dolls and think i'm either a girl or I have kids. My ex gf's older sister for three months thought I was a girl and never bothered to meet me, even though I had visited her house many times (she worked odd hours) and we never met just based on the assumption that A: I drove a volvo, and B: said volvo had dolls inside so I was obviously female. When I go to lay the smackdown on ricers at the tracks, people ask "is it your mom's car?" Of course, all questions are quickly dispelled when I stomp rice burners into the ground. Keep it non-descript. Keep it looking like a mommy car. People never suspect the volvo. I've gone to some places where the authorities proceeded to shut down things, and gave everyone tickets and or towed cars. I locked my car and walked away until the heat died down, nobody gave it a glance. Can your lowered and spoiled honda do that? I think most of us volvo drivers have a strong sense of internal fortitude, because most of us don't do it for the looks or the chicks. My car is unanimously panned at work, everyone tells me to get a new one, or that i shouldn't be working on such an old car. I just ask em if they want to race me ;) Its nice knowing that even though your car looks like ****, it will walk all over almost everything in the parking lot.

ovlov760
11-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Somehow or another Hondas have been able to break this sorta mold. The civic is really a cheap, reliable, econo-box and that's what the majority of owners use it for. Ricers have somehow brainwashed this generation that civics are full out race cars cars and vtec is just like a turbo. If we can get Vin Diesel to drive a Volvo wagon in F&F3 all our problems will be gone.

740Weapon
11-27-2004, 06:19 PM
speaking of that. i recently got into an argument with someone who owned an accura and really believed his vtech made his 1.8l faster than my 2.3l at 16psi. and then he thought he could stomp a brand new wrx. i wonder if they ever raced? i didnt feel his car worth my time.

foggyjames
11-27-2004, 06:29 PM
If we can get Vin Diesel to drive a Volvo wagon in F&F3 all our problems will be gone.

Or would they? I mean about 90% of the fun for me is pissing on something when the owner just doesn't see it coming...

cheers

James

volvorod85
11-29-2004, 02:36 AM
Honda has some pretty trick enginering goin on in those motors, V-tech is pretty ingenious, and has unbelievable results when tuned right, and the fact these motors can put out power a 9 grand and rev higher? is just silly. Ever driven a new accord V-6, holy crap that car hauls ass! But with that being said, very few people actually spend the time to do anything right with the cars, which really makes it a joke. I respect the guys that have the 11 second Integra LS all motor, no V-tech. But the guys with have the body kits falling off, wheels that are worth 6 times that of the car, and the exaust that makes it infinatly louder that just a straight pipe would, i give no credit or respect to. Though, I always get comments on my wagon. No one expects the family wagon, and ya..its pretty much invincable. No one sees it, its never a target. And its awsome! And you also have to stop and think....these people that are in their early 20's and 30's that drive audi's, beemers, VW's benz, whatever it may be, and throw the big wheels on em, the AMG badges on V-6 models, and the guys who think they drive the best thing since sliced bread, the car that dad paid for, what are they making up for?? heh, I drive a Volvo Station Wagon, and I have nothing to make up for, and nothing to prove...if ya know what I mean ;-) hehe
Mark

Don't take this thread too hard to anyone that may be offended, no one means any disrespect or harm....just some peoples humble (emphasis on humble) opinions. And that little Other euro comment if mine, thats not everyone, just the A-holes who think they are better then everyone else, and cant buy support themselves so they drive these cars, cause it makes them look like what they want to be. (I worked in a german repair shop for 2 years, the cheapest of the cheap were about 30% of our clientel)

xtonyx
11-29-2004, 02:54 AM
my 240 wasnt made in japan but it was sold there and the imported to the states.. :-D

neither of my cars were owned by my mother.. or females at that. both were driven by men before i got my hands on them. men with money. sold to me for far less than what they payed. :-D

ovlov760
11-29-2004, 03:15 AM
Honda has some pretty trick enginering goin on in those motors, V-tech is pretty ingenious, and has unbelievable results when tuned right, and the fact these motors can put out power a 9 grand and rev higher? is just silly.
My Rx-7 could do all that and its motor was smaller, lighter and had less moving parts. :-D

Nebor
11-29-2004, 03:38 AM
Honda has some pretty trick enginering goin on in those motors, V-tech is pretty ingenious, and has unbelievable results when tuned right, and the fact these motors can put out power a 9 grand and rev higher? is just silly. Ever driven a new accord V-6, holy crap that car hauls ass! But with that being said, very few people actually spend the time to do anything right with the cars, which really makes it a joke. I respect the guys that have the 11 second Integra LS all motor, no V-tech. But the guys with have the body kits falling off, wheels that are worth 6 times that of the car, and the exaust that makes it infinatly louder that just a straight pipe would, i give no credit or respect to. Though, I always get comments on my wagon. No one expects the family wagon, and ya..its pretty much invincable. No one sees it, its never a target. And its awsome! And you also have to stop and think....these people that are in their early 20's and 30's that drive audi's, beemers, VW's benz, whatever it may be, and throw the big wheels on em, the AMG badges on V-6 models, and the guys who think they drive the best thing since sliced bread, the car that dad paid for, what are they making up for?? heh, I drive a Volvo Station Wagon, and I have nothing to make up for, and nothing to prove...if ya know what I mean ;-) hehe
Mark

Don't take this thread too hard to anyone that may be offended, no one means any disrespect or harm....just some peoples humble (emphasis on humble) opinions. And that little Other euro comment if mine, thats not everyone, just the A-holes who think they are better then everyone else, and cant buy support themselves so they drive these cars, cause it makes them look like what they want to be. (I worked in a german repair shop for 2 years, the cheapest of the cheap were about 30% of our clientel)

You should pick on one of those 'poser' AMG C32s. They're only v6s. :rofl:

bugzy
11-29-2004, 04:53 AM
The way I see it, when calm drivers buy a desirable vehicle and putt around in it, they are preserving a species for us maniacs.
If all the cool cars were snapped up by gearheads early on they would be gone in a wink.
So the R Sports division of Volvo concocted a scheme whereby the mothers of the world would buy the cars, maintain them, and then sell them (at a fair price) to club racers, drag racers, ice racers, autocrossers, and online communities that revolve around worshipping a tiny percentage of (possibly) female members.

i like your thoughts ;)

just to add ... my first Volvo was my parents car too ;)
and the 244 that we had before that ;)

nohbudi
11-29-2004, 12:50 PM
My mom owns no volvo, nor has she ever owned a volvo. eventually she will, but thats a different story.

i guess i just dont hear the taunts from people who are disbeleivers, i mean, i see them laughing, but i cant hear what they are saying. most of the time tho, people are preety mild mannered about it, there are exceptions. i beleive it has to do with tempering of their mind set previous to my emergent into the scene. that said, im quick to disprove the disbeleivers. theres been points where it seemed like my soul purpose in life was to embarras locals with their passangers. which is remarkably easy to do unfortunetly. soccer mom car? not in this incarnation... maybe someday i will get married and be responsible for off spring(god help all who are religious), who will play soccer, and my wife willl drive the car to soccer practice. but thats out of convinience...

mikep
11-29-2004, 01:06 PM
really believed his vtech made his 1.8l faster than my 2.3l at 16psi.
When are they going to learn that VTEC gives more midrange and low end by limiting the inherent breathing capacity of the intake, increasing volumetric coupling in the runners.
The "VTEC Kicked In, YO!" phenomenon is not a power adder, like the wee folk think, it's just the engine reverting to normal.