PDA

View Full Version : Went shopping today....

foggyjames
11-23-2004, 05:12 PM
...And now my room is full of this stuff....

http://www.ryanniblett.co.uk/images/foggy/carbs.jpg
http://www.ryanniblett.co.uk/images/foggy/k-cam.jpg

Which answers the question regarding what cam a B19GT has - it's a K.

cheers

James

ps: Note boxes of 5-panel euro tails in the first shot!

MattP
11-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Now just put a set of Weber FI throttle bodies on there and everything will be cool.

NChoy
11-23-2004, 06:38 PM
I just PM'd you James.

foggyjames
11-23-2004, 06:44 PM
So you did :) Reply sent!

cheers

James

foggyjames
11-23-2004, 06:46 PM
Throttle bodies...hmm...I've been thinking about that. I'd kinda like to stay old-school on this car, especially as its actually an original tuning kit for a 300. The engine I stripped them off is a B19GT - from the 343 R-Sport. I confirmed it by IDing the ally oil pan...

It's certainly a consideration for the future though, as Weber DCOEs bolt straight on, so presumably their throttle bodies (didn't know they made them!) do too.

cheers

James

Matt Dupuis
11-23-2004, 08:44 PM
So cool!

foggyjames
11-23-2004, 09:24 PM
This is an interesting question actually...why aren't more people running throttle bodies here?

cheers

James

boostdemon
11-24-2004, 12:48 AM
cost and lack of fabrication

n xntrx volvo
11-24-2004, 01:40 AM
This is an interesting question actually...why aren't more people running throttle bodies here?

cheers

James carbs and turbos arent the happiest mix.

DurableSwedish
11-24-2004, 02:09 AM
I noticed you used a seatbelt to carry the carbs...very resourcefull. :roll:

towerymt
11-24-2004, 04:03 AM
I noticed you used a seatbelt to carry the carbs...very resourcefull. :roll:
Better or worse than using a spent airbag to haul small parts?

DurableSwedish
11-24-2004, 04:36 AM
hmm...better?

MikeHardy
11-24-2004, 05:41 AM
carbs and turbos arent the happiest mix. yes but throttle bodies are not carbs.

oh and hmm thems some large lobes on that k cam. can't wait till mine gets here.

Kjets On a Plane
11-24-2004, 06:10 AM
yes but throttle bodies are not carbs.

oh and hmm thems some large lobes on that k cam. can't wait till mine gets here.
Um, so volvo actually made an individual throttle body for what is presumably a K-jet car? That is curious. A 360 would be a great candidate for a B23ET instead of the B19ET it got in turbos.

MikeHardy
11-24-2004, 06:31 AM
no the way the conversation was quoted is

carbs and turbos arent the happiest mix.
what foggy has are carbs. but asked about people running bodies with fuel injection.

ITB's with turbo is quite common (stock on the nissan pulsar GTI-R i believe)

Da_Snake
11-24-2004, 06:49 AM
carbs and turbos arent the happiest mix.

Sure they are, Weber and Dellorto are very simple to adapt to turbouse, dellorto even excist for turbo, 40 mm DHLAT.

On the subjekt of ITB, im building my engine for next summers play on the streets and a little drag with ITB, pics will come later.

foggyjames
11-24-2004, 08:07 AM
The seatbelt was on them when I pulled them (used to lift the engine? There was a aux belt on one of the hoist points too!)...just haven't taken it off yet!

I'd probably go for (injection!) ITBs before doing major head work. Seems to be a good way to improve flow fairly easily.

Those are Solex ADDHE 40 carbs from the R-Sport tuning kit for the early 343/345 GLS (what the 360 was called in Europe for the first year or two). It consisted of the carbs, a K cam, an exhaust (but not a header...hmm!), and a load of suspension bits. Some kits (very few!) also included an 8v R-Sport cam cover. I'll try to get a pic of that up sometime.

Volvo never did injection ITBs....although from memory something like a B27E has two throttle bodies shared between all cylinders (almost like an injection version of a twin-choke carb).

The 360 never came as a turbo either. Some dealers fitted the 240 R-Sport turbo kit (making a B19AT), and I've also heard of complete 240 R-Sport turbo engines being fitted (making a B21AT?). LHD only though - usual steering column issues...

It would indeed make an awesome candidate for a B23/B230ET swap...although you have to be careful of the drivetrain (M47...and that's about the strongest link!). There are probably about 10 360 turbos (with a B230ET/FT - ignoring the 'custom' stuff like the R-Sport kits) on the road around the world though, and the same again being planned / built as we speak.

cheers

James

MattP
11-24-2004, 10:14 AM
http://www.redlineweber.com/html/throttle_bodies/Throttle%20bodies_dcoe.htm

I don't know where you would buy them over there.

foggyjames
11-24-2004, 10:26 AM
How cool! I had no idea Weber did them...

The Solexs aren't the greatest carbs known to man, but they'll do for now. However, I may well want to upgrade them at a later date. That's certainly food for thought though!

cheers

James