PDA

View Full Version : Underhood color schemes

pisco
11-24-2004, 05:41 PM
As you may or may not know my turbo died and I'm going to use this opportunity to do some major cleaning and beautifying under my hood. I'm going to replace all the silicone hoses, paint the motor (yes, in the car) and do some general rattlecan madness. Only problem is I have no idea what colors to go with. Right now the valve color is greasey aluminum and the timing belt cover is silver, the intercooler pipes are poorly sprayed red and everything else looks like it has had 300k of neglect. I still haven't even painted the underside of my hood which is both silver and rust. The hood may get that black undercoating painted on it and the silver heat shields. I suppose with a black car I could go with any color. I had a lemon yellow motor in my Chevy Blazer, looked great for a year but...not fun to clean.

Ideas for now:
BLACK motor, timing cover, & silicone hoses, polished valve cover, intercooler pipes, connectors & braided hoses.
RED motor (duh) sillicone hoses, valve cover, timing cover and intercooler pipes, again polished accents & braided hoses.
RED motor & valve cover, silver silicone hoses &timing cover polished everything else.
YELLOW?

What about doing the pipes in red on the turbo side and blue on the intake side like a diagram of the human circulatory system! Too cheezy.

boostdemon
11-24-2004, 05:46 PM
black is always the best... dissipates heat faster

1stRaven
11-24-2004, 05:50 PM
black is always the best... dissipates heat faster

looks stylish as well.

i really want to get my estate painted black.

chas740
11-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Yeah black is good - mines red at the mo and is oxidising all over

ashvolvo
11-24-2004, 06:09 PM
I like Doug's metallic light blue color, but he can tell you what the color is because I dont know.

or a REALLY clean, freshly painted volvo red block looks great.

Degrease it all first, a few times, once its all clean, work it out from there.

Hank Scorpio
11-24-2004, 06:38 PM
bah black is boring.

Chamelon!!! mAd SdM yO!

(Ash, its pontiac Mettalic Blue... the only place that sells it in a can is Plasti-kote).

Red, yellow, black all boring. Blues are always nice.... Green would be unique. Polished plumbing or color matched plumbing... or SS :-D wweeEEEeEEEE1!2!!

quinn_volvo
11-24-2004, 07:55 PM
How about pink and purple.

towerymt
11-24-2004, 08:16 PM
Most engine bays I've seen 'round these parts are heinous. Yellows and blues and reds and dirt.

I'm going with polished aluminum or graphite painted. No flashy colors. If I have to use bright colored silicone hoses, I'll use red.

BoxDriver2
11-25-2004, 12:27 AM
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNjMyMzE3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Spottty
11-25-2004, 01:19 AM
You should do it in 24 carat gold!!

Be like the Mclaren F1 (39 steps ahead of the F40 :roll: )

blu92in99
11-25-2004, 12:33 PM
Gloss black, graphite, or just cleaned up and redone in OE red. :-P

-Justin

Felixredwoody
11-25-2004, 05:52 PM
I had the same debate doing My +T motor and just to be a little different I decided to go with aluminum colored paint on the block and will do red valve cover and timing cover. I also agree that a graphite would look really nice an as an added bonus grime wouldn't show up as well I would think. And remember black is a PAIN to keep clean yet when it is clean it does look good. And IMO red is what most do so if You want it to make other volvo owners realise that it's been painted red might not be as noticeable unless you went with a drastically different shade of red. Tim

the poi
11-25-2004, 06:57 PM
http://www.pbase.com/765ti/image/36168694.jpg
I've been sticking to black/gray with fancy red accents. I can get away with dusting it every couple of days with a swiffer duster....a damp soft cloth can clean of anyhting stubborn....

Hank Scorpio
11-25-2004, 07:29 PM
ahh mines so boring now
http://www.pbase.com/dkauer744/image/35599908.jpg

Mblesso
11-25-2004, 07:33 PM
bah black is boring.
Red, yellow, black all boring. Blues are always nice.... Green would be unique.

Agreed, Green would be cool. I might have to go with green, slimer green. I got crappy silver right now.

pisco
11-26-2004, 12:34 AM
ahh mines so boring now
Jeez Doug, way to follow the crowd. You need more wires on that thing...hell, looks downright un-natural.

I'm digging all the painted intake manifolds. Looks so much better than the feaux oxidized look I've got now. I'm thinking that a bright Cobalt blue would be very very cool with well polished accents. Time to stare at the engine bay again...

The Aspirator
11-29-2004, 06:53 PM
Duplicolor 500* Aluminum spraypaint looks awesome. Then pick some other colors that stand out. Blue, green, red, etc. I've been tempted to paint an entire engine bay with the graphite wheel paint, I just LOVE the color of it. I think a dark engine bay with a lighter colored engine would look really good. Like a graphite engine bay with red or aluminum colored block, funky valve cover with polished letters, bright intake mani and wacky color on your turbo and IC pipes.

Here's a picture of the work we did to my brothers engine a few months ago, some areas were neglected though. We've since pulled that engine and are putting in a sweet rebuilt/blueprinted/balanced monster, this time around EVERYTHING is getting painted. Everything from the brake booster to the battery tray. The engine bay is currently stripped and my brother is washing it. It's going to look so nice! The theme will be mostly this aluminum color, with a bunch of accents like blue and red.

http://www.vipinfoservices.com/john/images/Erik-engine01.jpg

I've come to the conclusion that the graphite color doesn't work well as an accent color, blends in too well, looks like black when just painted on small things. I painted my fuel rail graphite and I wish I'd have done something brighter. But for bigger surfaces it looks really really good. Valve covers, battery trays, cam gears, etc.

Beadblasting is the KEY to having the paint stick on properly, or just clean it really well with sandpaper and steel wool.

John

pisco
11-29-2004, 07:19 PM
Duplicolor 500* Aluminum spraypaint looks awesome.

Beadblasting is the KEY to having the paint stick on properly, or just clean it really well with sandpaper and steel wool.

John

That paint looks great. Very clean! I especially like the intake, valve cover and oil cap. How well does it handle the heat? I've used some hi temp paints before that couldn't stand up.

I miss my dad's beadblaster it made things like this so easy. I can always use my own hair, it's very much like steel wool.

The Aspirator
11-29-2004, 07:47 PM
It's got absolutely no problem standing up to the heat, although the shortblock in the pic above was HOSED so that combo only got driven for like 100 miles over a few months.

Now, I once bought a can of Duplicolor 1200* Aluminum spraypaint from Walmart to use on my engine parts, and I think the can was totally screwed from the start... just a bad can. First off the spray button didn't work well at all. I'd have to push it as hard as I could to make it work. Second, the quality of the spray sucked. The finished looked alright, but once I heated up the engine the paint kinda started to melt :e-shrug: . I dunno, looks like alright but kinda crappy up close now. The paint has always stayed kinda tacky, easily sticks dust, and would rub off even a thousand miles after application. If you notice any weirdness don't be afraid to just toss the can. I think I just got a bad can of 1200*, should have thrown it out right away.

Though the engine above still looks awesome. I've used the 1500* paint on my turbos, works flawlessly on beadblasted surfaces. These also come in cool colors like red/blue/yellow/white/etc. I think we'll paint my bro's turbo some wild color.

John

samyboy
11-29-2004, 07:53 PM
still standard with a new rad and thats about it

i like the idea of yellow engine blue hoses and black bay when i do a project motor

oldschoolvolvo
11-30-2004, 12:32 PM
I'd have to agree that black, silver, or graphite would look best. IMO flashy engines aren't that great, especially ones w/ chrome in...i really don't like chrome. I do like blue Samco hoses though...

jjam184
11-30-2004, 12:46 PM
http://www.pbase.com/jjam184/image/21961404

Have done some more to it since this pic but don't have any new ones yet.

Man, so many of ya'll just have GREAT LOOKING machines!

242GTMD
11-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Most engine bays I've seen 'round these parts are heinous..
no comment.....

pisco
11-30-2004, 02:15 PM
http://www.pbase.com/jjam184/image/21961404

Have done some more to it since this pic but don't have any new ones yet.

Man, so many of ya'll just have GREAT LOOKING machines!

Woah, I painted my intercooler pipes that same exact shade of red. What have you done since?

Does anyone have a suggestion to help the K Jet look less like a bunch of old coathangers stuck into hoses? I really hate how k jet looks. If I had the cash I'd ms'n spark just for the look.

jjam184
11-30-2004, 02:30 PM
I'll get some pics up in the next week or so. As far as the Kjet, I used silver paint pen to give it some detail. Over all the car still looks like fido's a$$, but it's getting there.

fidel
11-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion to help the K Jet look less like a bunch of old coathangers stuck into hoses? I really hate how k jet looks. If I had the cash I'd ms'n spark just for the look.
i used ss lines of varios vw's.

http://www.pbase.com/flynbrick/image/34098211

http://www.pbase.com/flynbrick/image/34746065

http://www.pbase.com/flynbrick/image/34746061

The Aspirator
11-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Those stainless steel lines look great! How much were they and did you have to get them custom cut and cripmed, or is it something you can do yourself? (not that I have any use for K-jet stuff, it's still cool)

John

pisco
11-30-2004, 06:08 PM
Fidel those are exactly what I'm looking for. I have a friend (an occasional poster here) who is running K Jet on his VW Schirocco. He may know what to use I'll try to hit him up for VW info. NO WIRE HANGERS!

fidel
11-30-2004, 07:30 PM
i got them from the junkyard i got the longest lines off of a bunch of k-jet vw's. let me take a look i think i have some more. best of luck.

rom
12-01-2004, 02:19 PM
when i finally save up enough money to fix my engine properly (after i fix my steering bugs) i'd like to go satin black engine block polished intake manifold part polished valve cover part audi gray and a few other bits and pieces polished or painted gray. i think the engine bay is going to be satin black as well. mabey i'll start polishing aluminum and just get it sprayed in a translucent gloss black.

the hood is getting painted flat black tomorrow though.
bling. is there a flat black bumphood club?

242GTMD
12-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Ha! rom, your avatar is great.

stylngle2003
12-01-2004, 05:31 PM
when i blow up my original b230F from too much boost (i'm still pre F+T people...) i plan to have a rebuilt 93+ B230F and MSnS swapped in that has been repainted in factory redblock color, with a beadblasted head, hammertone black powdercoated valvecover (do google search "hammertone powdercoat") bead blasted intake manifold, my IPD old style polished strut tower brace, polished turbo housing (its halfway there already), hidden wiring (like doug's), black silicone (samcos but $$) IC couplers, satin black ic pipes, my SS TurboXS typeH BOV, all peripheral parts painted satin if plastic (timing cover, etc) and beadblasted if metal, topped off by a satin black engine compartment (im going to repaint the hood bc it needs dents fixed anyways, and keep the underside either satin black or factory Midnight Blue color)

i think it will look really awesome, with the polished/brightly finished metal colors contrasting with the satin black and the OEM redblock as a nice accent. prolly throw in red magnecores too, just to offset the red on the block. i need to (once i get a new DD) yank the engine and sandblast as much of it and the underside of the chassis as i can, to fix rust and prep for seamwelding :badboy: then i would have no issues with repainting the engine bay

i got lots of work ahead of me :omg:

z537z
12-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Anybody have a lead on a GOOD exhaust manifold paint? I know IPD sells stuff, but curious what'll hold up in a turbo environment that's crazy hot, and look good.

_z

The Aspirator
12-02-2004, 11:25 PM
Anybody have a lead on a GOOD exhaust manifold paint? I know IPD sells stuff, but curious what'll hold up in a turbo environment that's crazy hot, and look good.

_zVHT 1500*, works crazy good when applied properly. Bead blast parts, spray on at least 3 coats, place part in BBQ for an hour on high, that's it. I wouldn't put a cylinder head in the BBQ for fear of warping, but it doesn't need 1500* paint. Neither does the compressor housing. Basically just paint the manifold, turbine housing and wastegate housing with the stuff, and your downpipe if you can.

I've used it on two turbos and manifolds with nothing but success. Plus it comes in lots of cool colors.

John

wildmanben
12-02-2004, 11:57 PM
I personally like the blue/yellow scheme, although sometimes it seems a bit too colorful even to me... But anyway, here's what I've done:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTA4MTc1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

The Aspirator
12-03-2004, 01:55 AM
Hey that blue IC pipe looks awesome! Is it just that Metalcast blue? How'd you prep the pipe first, like was it just sanded or was it basically polished? That yellow is a very strong and bold color, but it kinda works for your car.

PS, nice heater pipe ;-) (at least I think that's what it is) .

John

pisco
12-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Hey that blue IC pipe looks awesome! Is it just that Metalcast blue? How'd you prep the pipe first, like was it just sanded or was it basically polished? That yellow is a very strong and bold color, but it kinda works for your car.

PS, nice heater pipe ;-) (at least I think that's what it is) .

John

BANG! That is the blue I want to use. That color rocks! And I really dig the blue & yellow scheme. Complimentary colors always work.

wildmanben
12-03-2004, 04:44 PM
BANG! That is the blue I want to use. That color rocks! And I really dig the blue & yellow scheme. Complimentary colors always work.

The IC pipe is a metalcast blue, it was painted that way when I bought it so I'm not sure about the prep.

As for that yellow pipe, that is actually my PCV "hose," when I did my F+T swap I realized I didn't have a PCV hose, but I did have an extra heater pipe, so I used that. It works quite well, and now I don't have that ugly black hose going over my valve cover.