PDA

View Full Version : Spring Cutting - 760 Wagon!

Bernie
11-28-2004, 04:52 PM
Hey Fellas,
Has anyone cut their springs on a 700 series wagon?
How many coils can I dump without affecting the ride quality negatively?
I don't want the car to be a bobblehead but it sits quite high and looks like a 4x4 ....lol

I assume from looking at the front setup that the springs must be cut from the bottom.
If I lose 1 coil, what will that give me in drop in the front?
Should I then lose the same in the rear?

TIA

B

Chigga 744SE
11-28-2004, 08:04 PM
no matter how much you cut the springs, you won't get desire height.

Boosted2003
11-28-2004, 08:39 PM
Hey Fellas,
Has anyone cut their springs on a 700 series wagon?
How many coils can I dump without affecting the ride quality negatively?
I don't want the car to be a bobblehead but it sits quite high and looks like a 4x4 ....lol

I assume from looking at the front setup that the springs must be cut from the bottom.
If I lose 1 coil, what will that give me in drop in the front?
Should I then lose the same in the rear?

TIA

B

Most likely you have nirvomats in rear of your wagon. so you will have to replace them with normal shocks and springs. Might as well just buy lowering shocks kit which is around 220. Then buy some shocks and your set.

volvorod85
11-29-2004, 03:09 AM
Ok, ive lowered 2 760 wagons....the first one i had lowering springs, setteled about 2 inches total, and looked bitchen! though, it was too low to drive in Socal with the driveways and speed bumps as they are. That had Nivomats in the back and i replaced all 4 shocks when i did it with the Bilstiens HD. IMO the bilsteins are nice, but dont have enough rebound control for the lowering springs. My current wagon, had the nivomats again, I took those out and put my old Bilsteins in, this time with IPD overloads in the back and disel springs in the front cut 1 1/4 coil to level the car out...its pretty much stock hight. You can cut the springs, but if you car has nivomats you will need to replace them. If you cut I think its 1 1/4 coils it srops about 1 inch or so, without really hurting the ride quality. If you cut them, use a sawzall or equivelent. NO HEAT! as soon as you torch them, you ruin them. But a regular saw wont hurt them at all. Just remember, you can always go shorter, so I'd say cut maybe 3/4 to 1 coil and see how you like it, then cut 1/4 at a time to get it where you like it. Good luck
Mark