PDA

View Full Version : Side Turn Signals

Turbo944
12-01-2004, 03:32 AM
I ordered some side turn signals to replace the Volvo badges on the sides.
Should I get a wiring harness to wire these, or should I go the ol' "DIY" route and use some household 16 gauge wire. One advantage of the wiring harness would be the ease of fishing it through.
Are these hard to install? I here a coat hanger is almost essential. Any tips....

Three Fat Tigers
12-01-2004, 04:22 AM
16 gauge is over kill. IIRC they pull only 680ma. Put a bright flash light up to the hole in the fender, then look around where the hood hinges are, you may find a nice gap through which you can fish the wires. On my 760, I fed a section of electrical wire down the gap and fished it out the hole in the fender, then taped my harness wiring to this and pulled it back up through the gap. Did the same method on my 245 & Miata.

I would either buy the harness or go to a junk yard and find a pair of connectors, the same connector is used in a number of systems under the hood of most Volvos. As for wire, I prefer to use black 18 gauge Belden meter lead wire, it's inexpensive and silicone jacketed which helps keep it from rattling and blends in with the factory wiring. Wrap any crimps you use with self vulcanizing rubber tape, again for rattles and weather proofing.

Turbo944
12-01-2004, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the advice :-D

MikeSr.
12-01-2004, 11:25 AM
How to wire for half voltage park, full voltage turn? A dual filament bulb, maybe? I haven't seen the factory harness, I was just going to put in a pair of lights and wire myself.

boostdemon
12-01-2004, 11:47 AM
advantage to the harness is the plug. other than that its the same process

Three Fat Tigers
12-01-2004, 11:54 AM
http://www.threefattigers.com/Protocore/Volvo/SideLightsCircuit.gif
This is how I did that it on my '92. This system provides a completely separate power source for the side lights, and flashes the turn signals in sync with the regular turn signals.

The resistors are 10 ohm like these:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F014%5F004&product%5Fid=271%2D132 providing just under 7 volts for the parking light function, they perfectly match the parking light intesity. It's important to provide a separate resistor per side light as shown because otherwise during turn signal flashing the intensity of the opposite side light will fluctuate.

Rather than build it as a single unit controlling both sides as above, you can divide it up into two sets and just use two separate SPST relays and one resistor per side.

BoxDriver2
12-01-2004, 03:21 PM
A. Household wire IS NOT automotive wire.

I used 14 gauge, overkill. I couldn't find my 18 gauge spools.

Simply hook one end up to the turn signal, one end to the parking lamps, they will act as turn signals when turn signals are operational, and parking lamps other wise any time your turn on the head/parking lamps. No problems ever.

Use female bullet connectors or scavenge some from a washer pump at the JY or brake fluid reservoir off ABS cars etc [half moon connector].

Simple, takes about an hour and a half taking your time to run wires and make everything decent.

towerymt
12-01-2004, 06:33 PM
I have mine wired to one side of the park/turn signal lights, and the other side is grounded. They only come on to blink with the turn signals.

Dana's are on all the time with parking lights, and they're pretty bright, but not annoying. I'd skip the resistors and relays and just splice in one of two ways, depending on if you want them on with the parking lights or not.

jao
12-01-2004, 06:59 PM
A. Household wire IS NOT automotive wire.

I used 14 gauge, overkill. I couldn't find my 18 gauge spools.

Simply hook one end up to the turn signal, one end to the parking lamps, they will act as turn signals when turn signals are operational, and parking lamps other wise any time your turn on the head/parking lamps. No problems ever.

Use female bullet connectors or scavenge some from a washer pump at the JY or brake fluid reservoir off ABS cars etc [half moon connector].

Simple, takes about an hour and a half taking your time to run wires and make everything decent.

that's how i did mine on my wagon and the green car... works great... and it is kind of cool that it blinks opposite of the other turn signal lights. and while you scavanging connectors get both sets of the front turn signal connectors. with the window washer motor connectors and the turn signal connectors you can make an adapter so you do not have to cut any wires, just plug your adapter. i'll take a picture of the 'adapter' that i made if you folks need clarifying [=can't figure it out ;) ]

MikeSr.
12-01-2004, 07:10 PM
http://www.threefattigers.com/Protocore/Volvo/SideLightsCircuit.gif
This is how I did that it on my '92. This system provides a completely separate power source for the side lights, and flashes the turn signals in sync with the regular turn signals.

The resistors are 10 ohm like these:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F014%5F004&product%5Fid=271%2D132 providing just under 7 volts for the parking light function, they perfectly match the parking light intesity. It's important to provide a separate resistor per side light as shown because otherwise during turn signal flashing the intensity of the opposite side light will fluctuate.

Rather than build it as a single unit controlling both sides as above, you can divide it up into two sets and just use two separate SPST relays and one resistor per side.

Thanks TFT- I thought you had posted about the wiring before. I have a bag of relays in my box- I'll use them in this setup.

aj164
05-25-2005, 11:50 AM
Could you use a circuit like this to do the same thing w/o relays? The resistors are the same 20 Ohm as the other circuit (two 10 Ohms in series for each lamp - whatever you need), but you might want a little less resistance if the 0.7V drop across the diode is noticable. (I don't think it will be noticable.)

-Adam

http://ajb.dyndns.org/images/SideLightsWiring.jpg