PDA

View Full Version : Oh, don't stick your hands in Castrol Super Clean

the poi
12-04-2004, 04:54 AM
I was debating making this thread or not, but I figured it was a worthy PSA. I washed brake parts with castrol superclean, neglecting to do anything to protect my hands cause im really bad about that sorta thing and figured its just degreaser...whats it gonna do right?

Well it totally nukes your hands after incubating or soemthing for two days and then another couple days after that your hands look like this:

http://www.pbase.com/765ti/image/37092429.jpg

and thats not dirt mind you, thats my skin

http://www.pbase.com/765ti/image/37092430.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/765ti/image/37092432.jpg

Fortunately for me my hands are almost back to normal after a little over a week, but if I had a job with a lot of customer contact, hobo-hands probably wouldn't fly. So wear gloves.

Also, here's a picture of my blow-off valve and my super-blue brake fluid reservoir:

http://www.pbase.com/765ti/image/37092433.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/765ti/image/37092436.jpg

Captain Bondo
12-04-2004, 05:05 AM
Ok you guys want to hear a funny but semi-embarrassing story regarding this?
Here goes.

I pulled a 405 head, then stood it on a stack of tires about 4 high, then cleaned it up good with super clean. A little later on I decided I'd starty polishing the valve cover. So...
I sat down and started polishing. Where did I sit? On the stack of tires on steel rims in a nice puddle of superclean. Never thought much of it, 20 minute later my ass is just burning- as was mentioned it gets worse over time.
Had a 2" diameter scabby superclean burn on my ass for the next 2 weeks. still has a scar.
:lol:

Captain Bondo
12-04-2004, 05:07 AM
Oh, never took any pics though. :(

the poi
12-04-2004, 05:09 AM
bwahahaha, that sure as hell trumps mine...although im mostly glad you didnt post pics of it...

Pennybridge Pioneer
12-04-2004, 05:15 AM
no nasty sores for me!!! just the syphillis as demonstrated below

ovlov760
12-04-2004, 05:36 AM
My hands look like that most of the winter.

tequila_gundam_no_chaser
12-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Hmm, also to go along with this, don't soak your leg in carburator dip. Tends to turn skin purple and remove the hair from your leg for a time. Also damages nerve endings if you don't wash it off within 20 mins. (stupid ****ing school wouldn't let me call anyone after I spilled dip on my legs. we nearly had a lawsuit) Looks like ya got "old man hands". It should exfoliate off eventually.

BoxDriver2
12-04-2004, 02:13 PM
ANY harsh chemical will do that, brake cleaner, carb cleaner, etc.

n xntrx volvo
12-04-2004, 03:56 PM
...but, were your hands superclean? while we're on psa's, dont wipe down/ work on gas system parts on your lap. it'll burn your nads.

mAydAy
12-05-2004, 03:35 PM
ANY harsh chemical will do that, brake cleaner, carb cleaner, etc. I clean my hands with carb cleaner and gasoline and they don't ever look like that....

-Andy

jackbombay
12-05-2004, 03:53 PM
When I was using paint stripper one time I got a clump of paint/stripper on the back of my knee, I bent down and it got mashed around. Ouch! I had a big red spot for a week or so, it was only on me for mabye 1/2 a minute.

Brickster151
12-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Jeez, that must not have been fun having hands that look like they're right off of a 95 year old man.

I usually stick to cleaning my hands with Fast Orange - no gasoline, brakleen, etc

And about that paint remover [Jasco]- I forgot what I was taking paint off of [it was on the 240] but I decided it'd be safe to wear Latex gloves. WRONG. Stuff ate right thru the gloves and I had burns all over my hands for a few weeks.

BoxDriver2
12-05-2004, 04:08 PM
I clean my hands with carb cleaner and gasoline and they don't ever look like that....

-Andy

Cleaning is different not completely submerging your hands in it, and thats not good either, i've done it too [carb cleaner-its really bad for ya..]

own6volvos
12-05-2004, 04:11 PM
I usually have hand cream right next to my heavy duty hand cleaners. Otherwise my hands might feel a little dry. But Jesus... how did you hands get THAT bad. I have soaked my hands in that crap before, and all I got was some really sore skin and the area near my finger nails was drier than normal.

740Weapon
12-05-2004, 05:23 PM
and thats why i use simple green.

p.s. you should see my boss' hands. the man loves acetone. and it shows.

ptouch20
12-05-2004, 07:53 PM
if your in a fix, try ATF. mucho detergents, and it keeps your hands silky and smooth.

760T man
12-05-2004, 07:56 PM
I just use orange clean

but yea...for a second i thought that was my grandpa's hand...:freak:

Ajax5678
12-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Yeap Got that Bunch but with Hot Purple mixing with the baby powder from the Latex gloves nice chemical rash/burn fun stuff. Still nothing compared to welder's eye ;-)

Unregistered
12-12-2004, 03:14 PM
trying washing your hands in jasco paint stripper ;)

the poi
12-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Still nothing compared to welder's eye ;-)
done that too unfortunately... need to get a mask....

mjkspyder_one
12-12-2004, 11:18 PM
It puts the lotion on it's skin, or else it gets the hose again...

Obeharskad122s
12-13-2004, 06:29 AM
I dunno what kind of monkey ass work you guys are doing...but this is all common sense ****.

Dont work with flamable fluid parts near your crotch... come on, are you serious? This really needs to be said? I say anybody stupid enough to do anything like that deserves to loose their testicles, and not contribute to the gene pool.
Dont dip your hands in **** that is suppose to eat grease and grime... What a novel idea.

The worst I've done is sprayed brake kleen on a rag and wiped my hands with it, it wipes the grease right off...but thats only when I dont have any gojo.

Kirby
12-14-2004, 01:18 AM
hahaha no wonder. superclean does eat paint you know. Probably the worst thing I've ever had on my hands would be gunwash. Thats another wonderful product that ****s the nerve endings in your hands and makes them numb and burning.

the poi
12-14-2004, 01:37 AM
hahaha no wonder. superclean does eat paint you know. Probably the worst thing I've ever had on my hands would be gunwash. Thats another wonderful product that ****s the nerve endings in your hands and makes them numb and burning.
gunwash eh? i spose that woul dhave to powerful, what is it?

edit:// and due to the extreme popularity of this thread, i think its time for a hand update!

http://www.pbase.com/765ti/image/37487409.jpg

Same hand mind you. go skin!

swedefiend
12-14-2004, 02:26 AM
The worst I've done is sprayed brake kleen on a rag and wiped my hands with it, it wipes the grease right off...but thats only when I dont have any gojo.

I sprayed some brake cleaner on a rag once and was using it to wipe down some parts. I had the dumb idea of smelling the rag to see if it was on the side I was using (I like to fold my towels up so that I can use more than one time) and it almost killed me. That was the closest I have ever been to passing out. I mean I got light headed and bumped into the door and then I finally came too.

:roll:

Sometimes even I suprise myself with my stupidity.

n xntrx volvo
12-14-2004, 02:52 AM
I dunno what kind of monkey ass work you guys are doing...but this is all common sense ****.

Dont work with flamable fluid parts near your crotch... come on, are you serious? This really needs to be said? I say anybody stupid enough to do anything like that deserves to loose their testicles, and not contribute to the gene pool.
Dont dip your hands in **** that is suppose to eat grease and grime... What a novel idea.

too late, they've already been born and released on to the world.
fyi, you guy's hands wouldnt get so bad if they weren't being softened up by vasiline every sat night.
-Aaron

Neil Peart
12-14-2004, 08:09 AM
I clean my hands with carb cleaner and gasoline and they don't ever look like that....

-Andy

^^ YUP!...i use Greaselightning, works like a charm! It does dry out my hands out a little bit.

The Racing Volvo
12-14-2004, 11:06 AM
your hands will heal girls.

but just incase you are concerned about you peter beaters, you could always use lotion.

740TurboPerformance
12-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Superclean is a very strong cleaning agent. I know because we had a house fire where my step dad's Honda CBR 600 was in the garage, he had to replace the body because it melted and used Superclean to get rid of a lot of the smoke damage.

For heavy and light duty degreasing I use Simplegreen since I have sensative skin myself but I could rub this stuff on my nut sack and I wouldn't have any problems. Some may interperate this as a weakness (oh it doesn't give you a big rash, must not be good enough to remove grease), BS . . . I dilute the stuff, use one bottle and make like 5 bottles of it and I use it to degrease my engine (light duty degreasing), clean the brake dust off my rims, has even got rid of some oil stains off the driveway. The cool thing is, it's non toxic, you can wash it down the drain without knowing you helped kill off part of the enviornment. For heavy jobs I just don't dilute it, it works great, did the undercarriage of the car too, the grease was dripping off everywhere, washed it down, resprayed, washed it down, perfect . . . I clean my intercooler and PCV system with it too, along with some hot water. Anyway, I suggest Simplegreen to everyone as an alternative that won't f your skin up . . .

Sean
12-14-2004, 03:00 PM
I am in agreement about simple green that stuff is ghood stuff to use for degreasing and just cleaning in general....
but about the others of you who clean your hands with chemicals such as carb cleaner gasoline etc etc.... seriously you should reconsider that.. your hands are most in contact with chemicals and absorb a lot into your system... a long life will notbe had by "Manly Man" handling of chemicals and toxins.. "ahh gloves are for wimps..." = short life generally..

"A common result of skin contact is localized irritation or dermatitis. However, a number of materials are absorbed through the skin to produce systemic poisoning. The main portals of entry for chemicals through the skin are the hair follicles, sebaceous glands, sweat glands, and cuts or abrasions of the outer layers of the skin."

It's so worth it to just use hand cleaner for your hand.. and try not to come into contact with any chemicals for sustained time periods... I mean if you dno't have hand cleaner just use soap and paper towels to get your hand clean enough till you get some hand cleaner.. or that boraxo (dry pink powder) although probably not the nicest to your skin (can't be THAT bad I mean it is at all schools) is a good hand cleaner for grease...

Anyway just think about how much you want cancer or to look like that Ukrainian guy who got poisoned and how he looks now.. is that how you want to look???

check out that before and after.. only 3 months.. july-sept but probably will take 10-15 years for yourself with just minor chemical exposure...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1704962_c5f27c663a_m.jpg

think about it..
Sean

Cornercase
12-14-2004, 03:37 PM
OK, so last year I took AP Chemistry and we had labs on Friday afternoons for like 3-4 hours, and we almost always used strong acids. So, my friend asks his lab partner what size the beaker is that has the 6 molar sulfuric in it. The lab partner picks up the beaker and turns it over to find the volume. Suffice to say, liquids do not stay in a beaker when it is upside down. So, my friend got all the sulfuric acid down his leg, and he had to make a mad dash for the gardening hose just outside the door (closer than the shower thing). He got lucky and most of it didn't soak through his pants before he washed it off (though I think the pants were pretty faded after that, and he lost a bit of hair or something, I didn't ask). The moral of the story: don't leave a class of juniors unsupervised in a chem lab with more acid then they know what to do with.

Eamon

700volts
12-14-2004, 03:59 PM
For heavy and light duty degreasing I use Simplegreen since I have sensative skin myself but I could rub this stuff on my nut sack and I wouldn't have any problems.

<center> :yikes: </center>
<center> GAWD that was a bad suggestion, that hurt!! That's worse than NAIR!!</center>

740TurboPerformance
12-14-2004, 05:41 PM
hahahah, I know, I probably wouldn't do it either, just tryin' to get my point across. I mentioned Simplegreen before and everyone here pretty much dismissed it as if only the enviornmentally and skin unfriendly chemicals and spray on engine degreasers only work. "who cares about the enviornment, just as long as my engine is clean", I guess if you wouldn't put it on your nutsack, don't wash it down the drain. I'm not no enviornmental hippie or anything but I think this is a good example, look at what it does to your skin and people keep washin' this kind of biohazard down the drain. Simplegreen works and it's safe!

700volts
12-14-2004, 06:37 PM
You said nut sack

740TurboPerformance
12-14-2004, 07:13 PM
uuuuuh, dammit beavis, I said nutsack . . . . . ! hahaha

swedefiend
12-15-2004, 12:56 AM
Only one problem here...

SuperClean is biodegradable.

FYI on the back of the bottle it says "wear rubber gloves (not latex) and eye protection"