PDA

View Full Version : Volans on a 944

Turbo944
12-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Alright, I just purchased some used Volans with some used tires. Wheel spacers are required to put these on my application correct? If they are (which im almost certain they are), which ones are the best for the money? I know "dfer" has the same car as me and put the same wheels on with the spacers at gilracing. Are there any cheaper alternatives? Would the same ride height be maintained, or should i get some 1.5'' lowering springs from EST? Also what kind of spacer should I get? ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!

Turbo944
12-04-2004, 08:22 PM
bump, because I need urgent advice :-P

towerymt
12-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Search on ebay. Many places that sell wheel adapters can make them to your specs. You probably won't find many that will make them with a lip on the spacer, so that it's wheel-centric, meaning the wheel is centered on the spacer. Hopefully the center bore of the adapter is the correct size to fit the hub properly. Otherwise, the adapter is centered by the lugnuts, the wheel is centered on the spacer by the 2nd set of lugnuts, and it will vibrate at some speed. It may vibrate from 60-65mph, but will be OK below and above those speeds. I can't tell you for sure if and when it will vibrate, but if they're flat adapters, you'll probably have a slight vibration at some point.

Turbo944
12-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Search on ebay. Many places that sell wheel adapters can make them to your specs. You probably won't find many that will make them with a lip on the spacer, so that it's wheel-centric, meaning the wheel is centered on the spacer. Hopefully the center bore of the adapter is the correct size to fit the hub properly. Otherwise, the adapter is centered by the lugnuts, the wheel is centered on the spacer by the 2nd set of lugnuts, and it will vibrate at some speed. It may vibrate from 60-65mph, but will be OK below and above those speeds. I can't tell you for sure if and when it will vibrate, but if they're flat adapters, you'll probably have a slight vibration at some point.
thanks for the help. If I use the one recommended by others (gil racing) I think I will be fine because, I believe they are "wheel-centric". Could anyone verify?

MikeHardy
12-05-2004, 01:51 AM
indeed, those are the ones to be getting on that side of the large body of churning water (i hate calling it a pond as some do over here,)

Turbo944
12-06-2004, 03:04 AM
Are spacers necessary when aftermarket wheels are purchased that have the same bolt pattern but different offset?

stylngle2003
12-06-2004, 05:00 PM
spacers can restore your offset when using wheels with a higher numerical offset. if your volans have an offset of +50 (for example...may not be true), then using a 32mm spacer will make the new offset +18, since you are effectively moving the mounting surface 32mm closer to the wheel's centerline, from which measurememnt offset is calculated in the first place

Turbo944
12-06-2004, 08:35 PM
So essentially these arent necessary, but just a plus?
spacers can restore your offset when using wheels with a higher numerical offset. if your volans have an offset of +50 (for example...may not be true), then using a 32mm spacer will make the new offset +18, since you are effectively moving the mounting surface 32mm closer to the wheel's centerline, from which measurememnt offset is calculated in the first place

stylngle2003
12-06-2004, 09:51 PM
no...they are mandatory if you want FWD wheels on a RWD car...otherwise they wont fit. if you try to mount them, youll see what i mean

MikeHardy
12-06-2004, 09:53 PM
what he means is, if the offset is to much the wheel will jam on your suspension strut, hit body parts etc

Turbo944
12-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Yeah so the Volans need the spacers? i just figured since they have the same bolt pattern it would be all right? How would wheels such as these fit? They are the first ones on the page with the 5x108 bolt pattern:
http://www.wheelmax.com/Wheels/Cars/passat.htm
Any additional info will be appreciated!

stylngle2003
12-06-2004, 11:44 PM
no clue without knowing the offset

and thats nothing an email wouldn't likely answer

dl242gt
12-07-2004, 07:51 PM
To figure out the wheel offset of your Volans. Take a look at the wheels. The center of the wheel or on the back somewhere will have the size on it. It'll look like this: 17x7 ET43 for example. Which means 17" diameter, 7" wide, offset of 43mm. That is just an example.

Best regards,

Turbo944
12-08-2004, 01:08 AM
To figure out the wheel offset of your Volans. Take a look at the wheels. The center of the wheel or on the back somewhere will have the size on it. It'll look like this: 17x7 ET43 for example. Which means 17" diameter, 7" wide, offset of 43mm. That is just an example.

Best regards,
Thanks Man. The thing is a purchased them and am now debating on whether to pick them up (If I dont I will be refunded). I just think it will be too pricey afterall, and I know I should have looked into the cost of spacers a little more carefully. And add some lowering springs, to complete the package, and your up and over a grand.

BoxDriver2
12-08-2004, 01:31 AM
You will need adapters. <$300 a set.

towerymt
12-08-2004, 05:06 AM
It'll look like this: 17x7 ET43 for example. Which means 17" diameter, 7" wide, offset of 43mm. That is just an example.
7Jx17x43. Width, diameter, offset. ET43 is also the offset, in millimeters.