PDA

View Full Version : Da Hood...Da Flathood (Pics! )

Inc3pt
12-07-2004, 07:56 PM
Alright so obviously most of you remember my post about switching to gloss black flathood and 7" round headlights and everything :-D

Well, my exhaust had been open downpipe for something like ~7 months before I put the black hood on. I had never been pulled over once and been asked to change my exhaust. Then for the last two weeks with the black hood, Ive been pulled over four times (IN TWO WEEKS) and three of the police mentioned my exhaust. This seems like profiling to me, I attribute it to the black hood. Well, I wanted it red to match obviously, but I thought it would be hard to get the color..

The black hood, looked something like this:
http://img84.exs.cx/img84/4850/Image501.jpg

And, The Results:

http://img56.exs.cx/img56/1715/image0026em.jpg
http://img56.exs.cx/img56/8278/image0035as.jpg
http://img55.exs.cx/img55/6031/image0010es.jpg

Comments? What do you think? $2.47 Rattlecan from Home Depot didnt match too bad, Eh? :-D :-D :-D

Im so pleased with it. :-D

The Aspirator
12-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Looks awesome, impressive paint match too! I just found a Duplicolor cherry red truck paint that matches my brothers red paint perfectly! So we're cleaning up the engine bay and getting rid of all the scratches. The only thing I don't like about the flathood on your car is that it doesn't line up right, too low in the front and too high in the back. Your car just looks so clean and slick that little things like that stand out. Have you thought about tinting your turn signals just a little bit? And maybe gloss black virgos too.

Lookin good!

Inc3pt
12-07-2004, 08:05 PM
The only thing I don't like about the flathood on your car is that it doesn't line up right, too low in the front and too high in the back. Your car just looks so clean and slick that little things like that stand out.

I appreciate the compliment, and yes, it will be aligned, I am going to have some friends help me with reinstalling the OE latch equipment and align the hood properly, then weld up the holes drilled for hood pins, and then repaint. :-D In due time hopefully.

Have you thought about tinting your turn signals just a little bit?

Yeah, My plan is to respray the buckets inside back to silver, because they're faded now. If I tint them, they will hardly shine at all, so again, hopefully soon, but definitely on the list :-D.

And maybe gloss black virgos too.

Im thinking a black stripe down the depression in the center.

noz-e8tr
12-07-2004, 08:16 PM
everybody knows the cops only profile Hotttt IROC's with T-Tops, "BackOff" mudflaps and chain steering wheels

vurbo
12-07-2004, 08:24 PM
damn that is a really good color match!

700volts
12-07-2004, 08:25 PM
I liked the black, but I like the red better :cool:

fast850turbo
12-07-2004, 08:42 PM
thats fuking awsome. i like the black hood pic

Hank Scorpio
12-07-2004, 09:01 PM
looks great (in either version)!

If you get the rubber hood bumpers up front, it'll probably line up correctly.

Doug

stylngle2003
12-07-2004, 09:22 PM
looks good i think, maybe could use some clearcoat to get rid of the dullness, but very nice color match

DurableSwedish
12-07-2004, 09:23 PM
not enough red :-P

Geoff240Ti
12-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Looks way better painted! You will make cullen a happy man :cool:

dl242gt
12-07-2004, 09:29 PM
I'm with Doug. I like both versions. That's also the front grill setup I am using. I kept the chrome outlines. I think you got stopped because your car is so loud.

Enjoy the road,

The Aspirator
12-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Im thinking a black stripe down the depression in the center.Electrical tape, seriously! My brother did it to his virgos and it stayed on for an entire pacific northwest winter. Looked really good too. It's teh ghetto. :cool:

oldschoolvolvo
12-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Nice job! Paint match is great! Keep up the good work. :rockon:

Inc3pt
12-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Electrical tape, seriously! My brother did it to his virgos and it stayed on for an entire pacific northwest winter. Looked really good too. It's teh ghetto. :cool:

I did electrical tape as a test and it looked pretty sweet and lasted for two months until I took it off. I will probably do it again.

luke242ti
12-08-2004, 12:33 AM
I did electrical tape as a test and it looked pretty sweet and lasted for two months until I took it off. I will probably do it again.

Looks good Tye! Amazing color match for the price!

I agree with Doug and Dan, get the rubber stops for the front of the hood and that will allow you to adjust the height of the front, and it could even bring the back down enough by doing that!

On the electrical tape bit, buy some good 3M electrical tape. it is far superior than the cheap stuff. I was hesitant to spend the extra $1 or 2 for 3M but it stays taped and the adhesive sticks better for longer.

take care
looks great, good job! glad to see you have made some good progress on the car!

dmcgee
12-08-2004, 12:48 AM
everybody knows the cops only profile Hotttt IROC's with T-Tops, "BackOff" mudflaps and chain steering wheels
ha ha yes!

Three Fat Tigers
12-08-2004, 12:53 AM
Don't forget to adjust the hinge height, it's not hard to do, just one bolt to loosen.

RedFridge
12-08-2004, 12:54 AM
Ok...have to know....what brand of paint...what's the name of it?

I'm telling you....that's a great match...I have a brown flathood ready to be painted and I would rather rattlecan it than maaco.

Do tell so I can get that flatty on the car.

Did you clearcoat too?

Gotsta know.

Inc3pt
12-08-2004, 01:18 AM
Ok...have to know....what brand of paint...what's the name of it?

I'm telling you....that's a great match...I have a brown flathood ready to be painted and I would rather rattlecan it than maaco.

Do tell so I can get that flatty on the car.

Did you clearcoat too?

Gotsta know.

Its made by Rustoleum, "Painter's Choice" I thnk. There were two reds, I chose the darker...No clear coat at all.

:-D

grebnut
12-08-2004, 02:42 AM
i have to say, i think it looks SO good with the flat black hood! thats awesome man... good job. later,

ben

neurot75
12-08-2004, 07:52 PM
how many rattle cans did u have to use on that?

Inc3pt
12-08-2004, 08:39 PM
how many rattle cans did u have to use on that?

2.5 cans :-D

klr142
12-08-2004, 11:58 PM
Tye, that's insane man... Quite the match indeed! And from here it even looks like a decent gloss over it compared to your black getup.. but then again, it was wet when you took the pics... ;-) And yeah man, it looks GOOD! And I agree with theAspirator, darken the lights and darken the wheels... Stripes down the spokes? Did you take any pictures when it was like that? I wanna see what it looked like on your car... I'd probably prefer all dark wheels though, but who knows... here, let me say ... there i did it again!... Ok, yeah, and the turn signals, are you SURE you don't want to paint them a ultra high gloss black instead of silver??? :)

Peace man!

Sharpel764ti
12-09-2004, 12:56 AM
How about painting the lower part of the bumper red, like morleys

Inc3pt
12-09-2004, 12:59 AM
How about painting the lower part of the bumper red, like morleys

Actually, since the hood came out so well, thats my next step :-D