PDA

View Full Version : Converting 1990 740 to late style dash

ZVOLV
12-12-2004, 02:42 PM
If any of you have seen the inside of my 740 you woud probably laugh. I gutted the whole thing a long time ago and I am getting kind of sick of it. Women and cops both hate the gutted interior with wires and parts exposed all over the place.

I would like to convert to a late stlye dash. Late 760, late 740, or 940 dash. I have tan interior right now and I would also like to convert to black.I would like to know if the late style dash will bolt right in. I would also like to know if the different types of instrument clusters are even remotely compatible. I have a 1993 940 differential and so I need to change the speedo anyways. I have a feeling the wiring will be a nightmare, but the dash will bolt right in.

740Turbo92Wagon
12-12-2004, 03:17 PM
<~~~ has a 89' 760 dash which is very nice and rounded/modern.... once you find the answer to your question let me know if you wanna try and get it, cause we won't be using it in our car, were gonna fab an aluminum dash, so we'd be happy to sell it

Boosted2003
12-12-2004, 05:02 PM
you are going to have a hard problem. You will need 760 wiring harness most likely. The a/c system inside is completeing different shape.

ZVOLV
12-12-2004, 05:12 PM
I know there are going to be a lot of obstacles like AC, wiring, and bolts/screws. I think it is safe to assume that the body is the same, but the accesories and interior bits are different. I dont even know how the dash bolts in. Thats where I was hoping some of you guys that have posted scary pics of torn apart dashboards would be able to help.

I dont run AC and I want to keep the heater. I would like to retain the AC somewhat so if I try to sell the car later I can put it back in. Right now I just have all the engine compartment side of the AC removed.

I would also like to take out extra weight so if you can think of anything I could pull please let me know.

I can/need to go to the yard and start tearing apart some of the late style dashes and answer most of the stuff for myself, but i wanted your guys' help regarding if the late style dash bolts/screws in the same way and also to remind me of the obstacles that I am going to run into along the way.

Boosted2003
12-13-2004, 03:20 PM
I know there are going to be a lot of obstacles like AC, wiring, and bolts/screws. I think it is safe to assume that the body is the same, but the accesories and interior bits are different. I dont even know how the dash bolts in. Thats where I was hoping some of you guys that have posted scary pics of torn apart dashboards would be able to help.

I dont run AC and I want to keep the heater. I would like to retain the AC somewhat so if I try to sell the car later I can put it back in. Right now I just have all the engine compartment side of the AC removed.

I would also like to take out extra weight so if you can think of anything I could pull please let me know.

I can/need to go to the yard and start tearing apart some of the late style dashes and answer most of the stuff for myself, but i wanted your guys' help regarding if the late style dash bolts/screws in the same way and also to remind me of the obstacles that I am going to run into along the way.

The firewalls differ between the 2 style dashs.

ZVOLV
12-13-2004, 11:08 PM
The firewalls differ between the 2 style dashs.

Uh, oh. Not good. How do they differ?

Cornercase
12-13-2004, 11:19 PM
I actually got the same idea a few months ago and posted on it. Apparently, the firewalls from the 740's are all the same. The firewalls are only different on the 760s and 900 series. Wiring seems fairly straight-forward. The only problem that has come to my attention is that the speedos could be either 3-wire (old style) or 4-wire (new style). I can't remember exactly.

Here are my posts:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=27443
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=27534

I posted on brickboard as well, but they seem to be down. Once they come back up, I'll find the posts for you

If you decide to go through with the conversion, I'd be very interested in helping you if you like. I'm in the LA area, how about you?

Eamon