PDA

View Full Version : Limited Slip install questions

Anonymous
11-28-2002, 03:12 PM
About to attempt limited slip install with a friend that has experience with the bigger Dana diffs on old Mopars. The manual calls for a special Volvo tool that apparently deforms the rear end housing enough to allow the diff to be removed and installed? Can anybody tell me more about this tool - where it connects and how it actually works? Thanks - Michael Yount

Tuff240
11-29-2002, 03:18 PM
I've changed mine several times and have never used a special tool. Simply pull the axles out a bit do the rest of the unbolting and it comes right out.

Patrick D.

Anonymous
11-29-2002, 11:06 PM
Thanks Patrick D. -- any other tips/advice before we start? It's a TrueTrac unit. You can reply offline if you like at myount@senndelaney.com

Tuff240
11-30-2002, 05:33 PM
No tips really. It's pretty straightforward. Just unbolt and bolt back up. I run the True Trac also, so I know it goes right in. I'll email you my phone number and you can call if you have any unforeseen problems.

Patrick D.

Hank Scorpio
12-01-2002, 12:20 AM
Really? The only lsd's I've done were GM 10bolt'ers and they required lots of shimming, and adjustment work.

If it's that simple, then I think I'll get mine ordered up too! Actually....I have plans for mine, I'm not sure how long I'm going to even run that turbo on the car! :twisted:

Greg Wong
12-01-2002, 12:21 AM
You don't need to check the backlash and all that stuff?

That's good to know you don't need a case spreader to get the guts out.

Greg

own6volvos
12-01-2002, 12:26 AM
what is the cheapest locker/ LSD or somthing that I could slap in my rear end??? I need something better than one tire spinning in the snow :shock: what price range any I looking at for one of those true trac things??? And where woudl I buy it?

towerymt
12-01-2002, 01:07 AM
http://nationaldrivetrain.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page44.html

own6volvos
12-01-2002, 02:10 AM
DAMN! More info than my brain can handle right now... which one do I want? I would be installing the thing into a 91 245se with AW70 tranny. I am unsure of which ratio to go for, since I want to get good acceloration and still get good MPG. Also... is this the type of LSD that wears out and has to be replaced.. or do they last forever like my bricks if you put synthetic gear lube in it? Does this LSD also require that friction modifier stuff?

Thanks
Kevin

Hank Scorpio
12-01-2002, 03:06 AM
I can help you on most of that kevin, though your right it is mind boggling to look at.

If you want to change gears you'll need more than just the LSD to do that, better off swaping trannies.

Tru-Tracs, though not sure, aren't of the clutch style that wear out, though IF they are (I mean I'm sure they are some kind of clutch) I would doubt that they wear out any quicker than 100k. I had an auburn gear in my old bird and I loved it.

I'm sure you'll have to add the friction modifier, I've never heard of any lsd that didn't require it. No biggie though

own6volvos
12-01-2002, 03:59 AM
I wasn't saying I want to switch gearing an stuff... I just wanted to know what LSD to buy so I WOULDN'T change the stuff... Anybody know what type of LSDa True Trac is? Are they lockers or clutch types?

Anonymous
12-01-2002, 12:48 PM
Thanks towerymt!
A year ago when the aftermarket limited slip topic went around, there seemed to be so much confusion about what was needed that the best opinion seemed to be: find a 4wd shop familiar with Dana30s and bring yer stuff to them, and have them install what's appropriate. There we go, thanks to you, a catalog LISTING something specifically as Volvo only! Nice! Though my brick was sold in a fit of moving 1000+ miles and wanting ot drive only 1 car (kicking myself now for selling a M/T 240GLT with intercooler for $600!) I will have another one sometime...maybe sometime really soon now.
Thanks,
-Brian

boosted
12-01-2002, 01:11 PM
Which 740's had lsd's :?: :?: :?:

towerymt
12-01-2002, 03:49 PM
That list has been floating around for a while now, but I don't know who found it first. I try to post it every time this topic comes up.

A quick search at google.com for "true trac" turned up this:

"The True Trac is an all gear drive torque-sensing L/S differential." source (http://www.samsoffroad.com/samsoffroadsto/TrueTrac.htm)

own6volvos
12-01-2002, 04:49 PM
i went to that "source" and saw that they list it as a Locker.... what does that mean. I have a basic knowledge of LSDs.. but not sure what the differences were, and like what speed the things kick in at.

Tuff240
12-03-2002, 03:33 AM
The True Trac is a gear type LSD, eventually the teeth will wear out, but that will be a long damn time I would guess. It is constantly working so it doesn't "kick in" at any speed.

Patrick D.

own6volvos
12-03-2002, 03:27 PM
could someone post the instructions on how to install one of these thing in a elelectronic speedo equiped car?

Kevin

towerymt
12-03-2002, 03:54 PM
Do some research! google.com works great. (edit: for finding general info)

The TrueTrac is not a full time LSD, but it smoothly transmits power to the left wheel when slip is detected.

Kjets On a Plane
12-03-2002, 08:09 PM
[quote:6c654396ce]The TrueTrac is not a full time LSD, but it smoothly transmits power to the left wheel when slip is detected.[/quote:6c654396ce]
Why? YOu only get power to the right wheel under all other driving condtions? This would make right turns feel pretty weird compared to left turns. IF you turned right and didn't floor it so you didn't get spin it would cause this curious oversteer, if you turned left and were just at the traction limit you would get understeer in theory.

Anonymous
12-03-2002, 09:09 PM
the reason the right tire spins is bc of the rotating direction of the drive shaft. the drive shaft spins counterclockwise so when resistence is met it tries to lift the right tire giving it less traction and making it spin. thats why lots of drag racers will run an inflatable air bag in just the right side in the rear so they can plant it and get a firm launch.

Kjets On a Plane
12-03-2002, 09:15 PM
Does the torsen company make anything for the Dana 30, they have some cool diffs. IT makes sense now, though on an IRS car it wouldn't matter. I like the idea of eliminating the clutches and making a more predictable diff, I saw the diagram of how these things work, they are pretty cool.

Greg Wong
12-04-2002, 07:37 PM
I could be totally wrong, but I was under the impression that the term "torsen" was not an actual company, but instead refers to any of a variety of "Torque Sensing" differentials. This would include the TrueTrac.

As far as I know, the TrueTrac is the only available torque sensing type diff for the Dana 30.

Greg

Kjets On a Plane
12-04-2002, 08:10 PM
I believe you are right, but there is some company that calls itself "torsen" and carries various typed of these things...
http://www.torsen.com/products/products.htm
They supposidly are called "zexel torsen" and offer various types of torque sensing diffs, I am curious about which type would be offerend by other manufacturers for teh dana 30 and which type would make the most sense. I don't doubt the trueTRac is a good diff and that will likely be where I turn, but I would like hear about some different variations on the scheme.

Anonymous
12-05-2002, 05:21 PM
The TrueTrac is a worm-gear operated, or torque sensing, design - like a Torsen unit. It operates completely differently than clutch-type limited slips. Go to www.reiderracing.com and explore around. They have great explanations of the different types of limited slips. You'll learn the difference between lockers, torque sensing, clutch-type lsd's, etc. Now, if I can just figure out whether or not the TrueTrac I bought will actually work in my car, everything will be fine! See the other post. Michael Yount

Anonymous
12-10-2002, 02:13 PM
of Torsen diffs in their quattro systems, in a center diff application, back in '88 (for the 80/90 series, '89 for the 100/200 series, in the US. Prior to that, quattros used a conventional, lockable center diff). Audi also installed it in the rear diff of the V8 ('89) and Mazda put it in the rear diff of the Miata. I think a few others have as well.