PDA

View Full Version : Length of tailpipe + exhaust tip + cutting q's

Evan
10-03-2002, 01:48 AM
Ok, I think I'm gunna throw some lowering springs and an exhaust tip on my car along with a few other things. What I was wondering is..the exhaust tip I am going to get from iPD is 12 inches long, and the end of my exhaust just barely doesn't stick out from the bumper (the ugly curved part that bolts onto the muffler). The question is, would it be bad on the exhaust for the car to cut the curvy pipe where it bolts onto the muffler leaving just enough metal to bolt on the exhaust tip, without hurting anything?

Would having less tail pipe be bad? Wouldn't it just flow better (not in a performance sense..)? Anyone know?

And this throws up another question...I'm wondering if the huge ass tip will fit in the little hole for the tail pipe if I cut it like I want too. I guess I could measure it.

Hank Scorpio
10-03-2002, 07:25 PM
There's no reason you can't cut the stock exsaust off where you want it to stop and leave enough for the tip to fit!

I'm a pro at sawzall mod exsaust systems trust me!

Evan
10-04-2002, 01:23 AM
Cool. I'll cut that bad boy off and i'll have a nice little tip going on. Later when I have lowering springs and I've actually put wheels on it, I'll throw a cat-back on it. But for now I don't have the funds and I'd rather just get rid of the unsitely tailpipe cheaply

Evan
10-05-2002, 01:01 PM
I ordered a tip, a manual and a ipd window sticker and some meguiars endurance..after I get that paid off (a week or two, the 20th at the latest) I'll buy some lowering springs.

Hank Scorpio
10-06-2002, 02:47 AM
Sounds cool!

It's a pain not having as much cash as one would like all the time isn't!

Another 200 bucks and the 242ti will be done (or so) for now.

Evan
10-07-2002, 08:01 AM
Shoot going by your sig you've spent alot more mulla than me so you're alot better off. I just work at McDonalds though. :(

Heh. I just got moved up + raise thouhg, next few weeks. Got my "iM SPECIAL" pin. hahahaha :)

Evan

Hank Scorpio
10-07-2002, 10:02 AM
Well, it's safe to say I'm broke now!

:)

but I got lots of cool goodies while I was at it!

Evan
10-12-2002, 02:02 AM
Ok, so I got the tip...and even though it supposedly fits 940's, it doesn't..it was way too big. Needless to say, I cut the straight first part of the S pipe and the very end of it and started making it fit. The part of the end I cut off I cut a very small portion of the circle out and sealed it inside the tip and then mounted the tip onto the front portion of what was left of the s pipe and mounted that too the muffler. I had to cut (not the bumper, but the other plastic thing below it) to let it fit...

anyways, all was good, looked nice, sounded nice got rid of the ugly s pipe that I hated...well then I got to work today and noticed the portion of the bumper above the tip had melted. argh. I think I can file it away because it's the inner lip of the bumper and there will be no problem, visually or bumper problems in the future but I don't know. That makes me mad :-(

Anywho, I'm getting some pics of my car developed as it is stock, then I am going to take a few once I get my lowering springs (got a pimped out ipd sticker along with my tip..and a chilton manual totry and fix my newly broken sunroof, to no avail..)

Anywho,
Evan out.