PDA

View Full Version : speaker wires

steve s
11-10-2002, 03:48 PM
have any of u guys replaced speaker wires? and how?

Hank Scorpio
11-10-2002, 03:54 PM
What are you thinking about doing Steve?

I've stuck w/ the stock wires on my gf's 850 and a buddy of mine with a highly modded stereo also kept the stock wires. Having to go through the doors (and the accordian connector) is just to much work for me, and I haven't had any problems or noticed any poor quality from the stock wires.

PITA remeber that!

But, that being said, if your going all out then I'd consider changing them out!

steve s
11-11-2002, 03:10 AM
ic...thanx. well, was just giving some thought and as i'm not exactly the best mechanic, i mean i can work on brakes and other simple stuff, like changing out the speakers. but i heard that the headlight wires become too weak if u convert to hid. i was wondering if i get an amp and speakers, the stock speaker wires wouldn't hold up.

btw, i was looking up at haynes and the stereo electrical chart. i noticed there are two boxes where the first box is connected to the rheo, ant, and dash speaker left and right, and the second box has fr, fl, rr, rl. the rr is connected to rigth rear door and right tailgate speaker in parallel, same thing on the left. the other four are single outputs. just wondering what the two diagram boxes are and if anyone knew why the rear speakers are in parallel circuitry...

steve s
11-13-2002, 05:15 AM
here's what i mean (it's not complete diagram, but got the speakers)
http://www.stickypix.com/data/500/109speaker_diagram-med.jpg

Hank Scorpio
11-13-2002, 10:58 AM
Well that sounded to me like a factory power amp, but I'm not sure why they are in parrallel. My knowledge of electronic's isn't the best.

Are you running an aftermarket deck right now? Which stereo did you have from the factory?

Reason I ask is because I've done speakers and stereo's on my gf's 850 with out rewiring any of the speaker leads in the car, which means if it does go through other amps they are still hooked up! :( Now, if thats a bad thing I can't tell, sounds great to me (though nothing compares to my S60).

Doug

steve s
11-14-2002, 04:30 AM
i figure the first one is the stereo (the rheo and ant i didn't draw on it)...and the second one is the amp...

what i want to do is really just replace the speakers...but i'm afraid i'd be wasting them if i don't get an amp...i wanna keep the stock sc-811 premium deck (which r a measly 25x4)...i really don't like how the aftermarket receivers look...oh well....

steve s
11-14-2002, 04:35 AM
what kind of speakers did u get ur gf?

Hank Scorpio
11-14-2002, 10:01 AM
Sony's, 6X9s and 5"s (I think).

You should be fine to just put those in, double that if you are staying w/ the factory deck. I found that those factory rear speakers actually have quite a bit of bass from the factory. I'd start out up front, and then see if you want to replace the rear's, you probably will want to eventually.

Good luck,

Doug

steve s
11-16-2002, 02:44 AM
ic....i read somewhere that the factory amp may be located under the passenger seat...did u happen to find anything similar?

Hank Scorpio
11-16-2002, 01:11 PM
You know I didn't look. Both the 850's I worked on had tape decks only so they probably didn't any extra amp's more than likely.

If your not going to run aftermarket decks then I'm sure just putting speakers in is A-Ok!

doug

steve s
11-16-2002, 07:29 PM
thanx...i'll let u know what i decide...and hopefully get some pics up ;)

arandall850
11-17-2002, 02:45 AM
That amp is usually only on the R's and it is hidden somewhere behind the stock head unit. Just ignore that second box, all the wires that connect to it just connect directly to the head unit on cars that don't have the external amp.