PDA

View Full Version : removing cassette deck

JonnyScorch
02-18-2003, 03:33 PM
I finally have time to install my deck and speakers.... Soooo how do I remove the cassette deck in the upper location without wrecking stuff? Any tips or tricks?
thanks,
Jonathan

harry124
02-18-2003, 04:53 PM
Well... you will need to pop out some stuff first...

Take out the two black panals next to the radio/vents. Then, remove the glove compartment. For visibility, you may also want to remove the plastic grill on the dash right in the center just under the windshield. Everything from then on should be pretty straight forward (provided you have the right stuff... like a wiring harness for the radio).

Also... what exactly are you putting in? (like brands/models)

JonnyScorch
02-18-2003, 08:11 PM
I'm gonna install a Pioneer DEH 3400 cd player, and power a pair of 6x9 Pioneers on the back shelf with an amp. I have the kit, and the wiring harness for my Volvo. I'm gonna see how the factory speakers hold up with the extra power (they are great for highs) if they don't, then i'll jam in 5 1/4 Pioneers in the 4 doors. How do i remove the plastic squares without breaking them? Do they just pop out with a thin something or other? Any delicate / frustrating things i should know about?
thanks again,
Jonathan

Hank Scorpio
02-18-2003, 09:09 PM
You'll have to remove the door panels. I did one side, realized the speakers wont fit under them and just broke the other side off!

Doug

harry124
02-18-2003, 09:35 PM
If the "plastic squares" you are referring to are the speaker grills, then yea, you just kinda pull on one side w/ any old flat screwdriver and they pop off quick like.

For the 6x9's on the back deck, you should run the wiring up the right side as there isn't much clutter there to deal with. For a really easy install w/out cutting... just slap em in boxes and run the wires from the amp up through the seat (thats what I did).

As for the factory speakers... Im not sure what yours are like, but mine are junk and I have yet to replace them (so I just have it all faded to the back w/ the 6x9s).

JonnyScorch
02-18-2003, 11:04 PM
the squares i mean are the ones u can take out on the dash..to put extra guages in, like boost, temp, clock, tach, etc... As for the door speakers, the're gonna be a little more labout intensive so i'm gonna wait on them for a bit. Do you need to add spacers for the 6x9 to fit on the back deck, or shoul,d there be enough room if i just cut out the card board?
-Jonathan

Hank Scorpio
02-19-2003, 12:37 AM
They fit more or less with out spacers. The blank plastic caps just pop off.

I built this for mine: http://www.pbase.com/image/7403226 but I did that because I took out both of the seat belt's on the rear shelf.

Doug

harry124
02-19-2003, 08:19 AM
Wait a second.... I took a look @ my back deck not too long ago and the the holes in the sheet metal were only big enough for 4" speakers. I had no idea you could just cut the cardboard and the 6x9's would fit (if I had known this I wouldn't have used those damn ugly boxes). :(

Volv-a-Ratti Man
02-19-2003, 06:30 PM
The early 240's had holes for only the smaller round 5" speakers. I had to use a nibbler to get 6x9's in the rear of my '78 242GT, later models have the cardboard holes. FYI after 88 the upper mounted radio has only two screws behind the square blackout panels to the left of the radio, then angle it out from a tab on the right. Simple, not like that awfull '78 lower installation.

Hank Scorpio
02-19-2003, 06:38 PM
The 80ish lower installs are simple! :D

BTW, for the record, you don't want to see how my rear shelf looks! lol, lets just say, it was in the theme of making the car lighter ;)

harry124
02-19-2003, 09:14 PM
Actually, my 86 has only two screws to the left of the radio, like you described Peter.

Now, I am going to go and check this out when I get a chance (I'm sick right now, so Im in the house... ), but I would definately love to have the 6x9's mounted to the back deck rather than in boxes. This is possible in my 86, without cutting the sheet metal, right?

Hank Scorpio
02-19-2003, 09:47 PM
I doubt you'll be able to get them in with out cutting. When I did my 87, I had to move them towards the center to get enough metal for them to bit to.

doug

harry124
02-20-2003, 10:38 AM
Oh ok... thats what I thought but then came all this talk of not needing to cut the sheet metal which threw me off.

Volv-a-Ratti Man
02-20-2003, 04:16 PM
If you haven't bought the 6x9' yet another option is to get two 5 1/2 woofer and a surface mtd tweeter and crossover. I used Electrovoice components and a Soundstream deck to do this on a '79 242dl I had some years ago. Superb results and the bass was exceptional! No cutting necessary.

harry124
02-20-2003, 11:14 PM
Sadly, the 6x9's are sitting in boxes on the back deck. But if its possible to stick 5-1/4" component subs on the back deck w/ no modification to the sheet metal needed on an 86', then that is something I would definately do. I would love to get a set of Rockford Fosigate component speakers in the back and eliminate the ugly boxes.

Just so ya know, Doug, the theme on my car is not to lighten it up weight wise, but to make is there is as much room in the back seat as possible. LOL. ;)