PDA

View Full Version : Blacking out my trim...one possible route?

91Brick
10-25-2004, 05:05 PM
I was noticing on Eastwood's site, that they carry a metal blackening kit. this kit supposedly reproduces the OEM black oxide finish on cars with blacked out metal trim. the kit runs about 35-40 bucks.

Instead of looking high and low for 240 Turbo trim (which comes black from the factory), I was thinking of ordering a metal blackening kit from Eastwood and blacking out my beltline trim and the silver strips on the front bumper as well as the silver dripline rail.

Anyone ever used one of these kits before? It looks like it would work and if it DID...its tons cheaper than buying 240 turbo trim or having my silver trim powedecoated by a shop.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. After I get my Dracos charcoal grey, I'd sure like to go ahead and black out all my trim...for the pure stealth look!

thanks,

91Brick

Volv-a-Ratti Man
10-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Well, if it was a 242, I happen to have a black trim set available........from the '78 GT

91Brick
10-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Yes, too bad!

I am finding it difficult to find a set of 240 turbo trim...it came black and I would not have to fool with questionable trim painting or treatments.

I really want it black, but I am not sure about painting or treating the silver parts. I can get the black rubber parts really black, using Forever Black from IPD - that stuff brought my bumpers back from the dead.

I am also not sure how to black out the silver trim on the drip rail. The only route I have found is to remove it and have it professionally powdercoated, but even that stuff can flake off.

I may have to live with the silver..but I'll keep searching the junkyards for that elusive black 240 turbo trim. Is there anyplace online to buy such trim? What years of 240 turbo trim will fit on my 91's body? There seems to be little difference n these parts from year to year.

Thanks,

91Brick

dl242gt
10-26-2004, 01:09 PM
Another way to get really nice blacked out trim is to paint it with Wurth black trim paint. It has that nice satin black trim color used on our cars. I use this paint to touch up the black trim when it
starts getting bad looking. I've used it to paint the mirrors and they came out pretty nice.

I buy the paint from http://www.carcareonline.com

I've parted out three 244 turbos and the doors and fenders still have the black trim. I don't remember if I have the rear trim saved or not. But I'd recommend just painting what you have. It's a big job to take trim off a 244 and put it back on. You have to buy all new clips and install them on the trim. I have an 89 that I'm driving and I'm going to paint the side trim black on that with the Wurth paint. Then after that is all done you still have to do the drip rails around the doors. :cool:

Enjoy the road,

91Brick
10-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Will the Wurth trim paint adhere to the slick aluminum silver-colored part of my trim? Would I have to sand it first?

So...is it easier to mask off and paint the trim ON the car..rather than take it all off? Thats alot of masking, but those trim clips are a pain in the butt.

I just worry about the paint not adhereing to the slick aluminum trim and flaking off in huge, ugly pieces a week or month later. Not pretty.

-91Brick

dl242gt
10-27-2004, 11:06 AM
I would suggest sanding the metal trim for better adhesion. Priming it would help the paint stick but if you paint it with a couple of coats that's probably good enough. I usually get about
2 years or so out of the paint without any good surface preparation. So, if you prepare it with some sanding it'll probably last longer.

I know it's a lot of masking but removing the trim undamaged is tough on a Volvo. I'm going to paint it on the car and spend the extra time masking off the car.

Best regards,