PDA

View Full Version : cd changer problem in 1993 850 GLT

captainmark
11-22-2004, 06:54 PM
I have a factory 6 disc changer trunk unit in my 1993 volvo 850 GLT. a few months ago i was shuffling to the next cd and my display read: EEEE, and it seemed frozen. I tried to open/eject the cd case from the trunk but it would not open. Two days later it decided to open and the cd player decided to work again...for about a month. Then the SAME thing happened...this time the display says: E-01. Like an error or something. It seems like it's frozen and I can't open the cd case unit. It's been like this for a few weeks and I don't know what to do. All the wires seem properly connected but it's like the cd changer isn't getting power or something. If anyone can help me or give me suggestions on what to do, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Mark

Egg
02-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Mark,
Your E... Messages are Error Codes. You should be able to find out what exactly what that means. If I have to take a guess, EEEEE is an unknown error, some problably a result of a mechanical failure. The E-01, would make sense to be a read error. Long story short your need a new changer. The Factory Changer will most likely run you $1500 to $2000. You want to do it cheaper. SoundGate makes and interface adaptor for your vehicle. This will interface the European Changer Port to a Standard 8-pin Din cable. Then get a Alpine adaptor (also from SoundGate) this will plug into the Din Cable and give you Alpine's "M-Bus" Changer connection. This is good for any Alpine CD Changer With "CHM"... at the begining of the model number. This whole thing shouldn't cost you more than $400.00.
I did this exact thing to a your model car last quarter and my customer didn't break the bank.
EGG