PDA

View Full Version : help ross pick out a sub enclosure!

rosspod
12-10-2004, 04:13 PM
okay, so i want good sound, and i want it cheap. so surfing at cardomain one night i found this set up: http://www.cardomain.com/item/BLAPCA12COMBO

i initially only wanted a 10" set up, but that one was gone when i ordered. but heres the thing, i have the thing that goes boom, and the thing that makes the boom thing boom. but no box, or wires. i listen to rock. metal. punk. indie. stuff that doesn't need a lot of bass, but i want to hear the drums more clearly that what 4" and 5 1/4" speakers can give me, so where do i go from here? ported sealed? how much should i spend on a box? what about wiring. help a newbie out!

Egg
02-10-2005, 09:12 PM
The best Sub set up I've seen for cheap, is to go and grab a Bazooka tube (hear me out). The only bad thing about it is that it has a paper subwoofer in it. so replace it. The Cylindrical box design is one of the best due to lack of flat surfaces, minamizes standing waves gives you a cleaner output, and if you get one with a port, you get a higher output. Some schools of thaught will argue that because of the circular design this will give you more standing waves, if you find this a problem grab you ladies hair dryer and heat it up, then sit on it. giveing it a nice eliptical cylinder.

Chances are that once you replace that sub, you'll be blown away. The other nice thing is that you don't lose nearly as much space, and it's a lot more portable.
Egg