PDA

View Full Version : Project SEMA Volvo...outline and overview

Hank Scorpio
12-12-2004, 04:08 PM
As you may have heard, ClubVolvo's Project 242TI (or Swedish Pony Car as its been called lately) has been sold. I've had alot of questions to what, why and how... I think this should clear the air.

During the last 3 years of building my last 242 I've dealt with alot of exceptional companies some with in the Volvo community and some outside. I think the majority of these companies know my credit card number by heart! :cool: In the last 2-3 years, in my view, the basis for Volvo "tuning" has grown by leaps and bounds and we hope to continue this trend. Thats what lead to this newest project:

After several discussions with the various companies I have dealt with an idea began to hatch. During the last year we have seen Volvo's debut a new perfomance model, concept cars, their AtSpeed based Speed GT S60R race cars and an over all feeling that Volvo's have started to gain some popular acceptance. Not to be left behind, the "older" Volvo community craves exposure and support just as much as the newer members, news to no one I am sure.

So, how would we do this? Plain and simple in my (and others) eyes... build an "ultimate Volvo!". Now, everyone has their different thoughts on this... how does someone build a car that could appeal to the masses? Combine old and new! This is what we came up with:

Build a RWD Volvo using Volvo motors and the biggest, best, newest items we can do. Make it all work, build it right and take it to the SEMA Autoshow in Las Vegas in 2005. This is what we are going to do!

What are we going to use exactly then? Well, the full parts list is below, but after much discussion we settled on this:

A 242. Classic design, the 2 doors aren't as common as other 240's, but its the shape everyone reconizes. Its THE Volvo in the eyes of many.

What drivetrain? Thats easy! A Volvomotorsports built T6. This is the new part of the equation. Plus, who can argue with almost 3.0L of DOHC straight 6? This backed with a T56 transmission will provide a very stout combination.

So there you have it, theres the basis for what were doing but I bet your wondering "What do we get out of it?". The absolute goal of mine is, when were finished, every single part we use will be (or become) an off the shelf item. You read that right... Whiteblock --> GM transmission adapters, motor mount kits, Engine Managment systems setup for the conversion ect ect. I think this is a GREAT start for everyone.. with the prices of the newer FWD motors dropping every day, the conversion into RWD cars starts to look more and more appealing.

Amongst other things, we will show up at SEMA WITH proven Dyno numbers. Unlike some companies (alot of companies) who hype their products on the face of a shiny item with no real evidence it works, we will be at SEMA with facts. Were shooting for stratospheric horsepower and torque figures... but no dyno queens, we want a powerband. After SEMA we plan on not only showing the car, but beating on it at any and every event we can. The main design guideline? Function first. Yes, were doing a full stripped, seam welded and caged car. Yes, we are doing a fully painted Chassis, something that will go up on Mirrors for shows. Yes. We do plan on racing the car. ALOT.

So there you have it, ClubVolvo's newest project car. ClubVolvo is not exclusive in the coverage however, www.Swedespeed.com is going to run monthly updates along with the Volvo Club of America's montly publication, Rolling.

Its going to be a busy but great 2005, I hope everyone stays tuned!

Oh, one last thing. Im sure your dying to know who's involved! Heres the short list ;)

Nick Cronan Design (www.gobirdman.com) / www.ipdusa.com / www.volvomotorsports.com / www.eurosporttuning.com / www.clubvolvo.com / www.atpturbo.com / www.geminicomposites.com / www.034efi.com / www.vcoa.org / www.swedespeed.com / www.jaodesign.com / SVR / Ben Kaplan (http://www.pbase.com/blkaplan)

Parts list: This is the short list

Suspension

Sways

Bilstiens (may have to re-valve them)

Brake lines (only need 3 all female/female)

SVR Coil overs

Ben Kaplan Tubular lower control arms

A-arm bushings

Camber plates

Adjustable sway bar end links

Poly bushings for trailing arms

IPD Adjustable Torque rods

IPD Adjustable Panhard Rod

Strut tower brace (GT and something else fancy. Clearance unsure)

S60R Calipers (front and rear)

Eurosport Tuning's 2piece floating S60R replacements discs

Drivetrain:

VMS built T6

T56 transmission

Adapter White block to T56

Cylinder wall brace (VMS)

Clutch/flywheel (ClutchNet)

Single piece driveshaft (Sacramento Driveline)

Tilton hydraulic throw out bearing

GT42R + misc required items (ATPturbo.com)

5” down pipe, 4” under car back, muffler undecided

InnovateMotorsports wideband

Powertrax locker (Going to stay with the Dana 30 for now)

034EFI engine management system

Ron Davis Radiator to spec

Intercooler (specs unknown yet)

ATP turbo Blow Off Valve, IC plumbing

Injectors (1000CC)

Earls Oil cooler

Pro5.0 t56 shifter

15 gallon fuel cell, fuel pumps, surge tank

Interior:

2 Cobra fixed back seats, 1 Evolution, 1 Suzuka or Imola II

Cobra seat adapters

Stack instrument cluster (pricey but worth it!)

Autometer boost, Innovate wideband remote gauge

Tilton pedal assembly (floor mount gas/brake/clutch)

Remote Master Cylinders

Carbon Fiber gauge surrounds (similar to current 242, I’ll build this on my CNC)

Carbon Fiber interior door skins (Gemini)

Sparco steering wheel, hub adapter and quick release (the idea is lower the column some, and move the seat and pedal assembly as far back as possible)

Chris Alston’s Chassis works Roll cage (12pt)

Simpson 5pt, 3” wide camlock harness’

Painless wiring kit, 12 circuit trunk mounted

Exterior:

Volk TE37 Wheels, 18X10 rear, 18X8 front

Carbon Fiber outside/rearview mirrors

Flash green paint, trim filled

JAOdesigns custom Air Dam, side skirts and rear skirts

Gemini Composite hood custom built to spec

Carbon Fiber GroupA wing (Gemini) and "snow scoop" (Gemini)
:cool:

Hank Scorpio
12-12-2004, 04:09 PM
Calander:

January 2005:

- Car, Rotisserie

- 1st week get car from Southern California. Will already be fairly disassembled when I pick it up.

- strip remaining items from car (no windows/fenders ect)

- Mount to rotisserie

- Media blast (and prime?) car

- Measure up and order roll cage

- Start welding firewall, trim holes ect

- Make templates of interior panels to reproduce in carbon fiber

February:

- Roll cage, I6 short block, Turbo (or exhaust housing to judge for size), 86+ fenders and trunk, fuel cell, pedal assembly, stainless steal weld-el’s and I6 exhaust flange

- Install roll cage

- Fabricate motor mounts

- Start fabricating header

- Locate/strip 86+ fenders and trunk

- (convert to 80+ tail end… not sure if this is going to be “required” yet)

- Mount fuel cell

- Mount seats

- Mount Pedal assembly

March:

- Side skirts, air dam and rear skirts. All sheet metal items and misc items that will require painting. Stack Instrument cluster (would make easier to start fabricating dash panels but not required in this month)

- Finish seats/pedal assembly

- Finish all final welding

- Strip car of any items not needing paint

- Send to body shop

- Clean various suspension items that will be reused (mostly rear axle and trailing arms)

- Start cutting the interior panels (optional… can wait till car returns in order to not damage CF panels from storage)

- Finish welding the header together.

April:

With out the car in my shop this will be the “down time” of the project. Would like to either have the internals for the motor if having machine work done local. If a complete motor is to be supplied then this can be pushed to late May or Early June. I am hoping to complete wire the EMS and miscellaneous systems related to the motor while it is on the stand terminated in a multi pin (around 16 probably) water tight quick connect dying under the intake. Ideal there will be little to no wiring visible in the engine bay, engine included. (for reference, the latest batch of pictures of my 242 will be a good example of this). In order to do this I will drill a grommet hole (since I’m filling all the holes on the firewall) behind the motor, just to the intake of the cylinder head.

I will need at least the wiring loom (or a GOOD wiring diagram).

- Start ordering parts that will still be required (everything!)

May:

This is another month that is left in question. If the car is out of the body shop that will be great. Its quite possible that it will be in the shop through the end of May. Now, the shop I am hoping/likely to use is VERY fast, the car could be down with in a month (if its straight enough) or it could take 3. Body shops and machine shops are both famous for this. Either way will continue to stock pile parts and build all the sub assemblies I can. I will be able to do some limited wiring for the dash but over all this will be a hurry up and wait month once again. I will be able to complete the rear axle assembly, assemble the pedal assembly (i.e. master cylinders, balance beam ect…).

June (hopefully late May):

- EVERYTHING.

Always picking the hottest time of the year to do all the work, the car should be in my hands again by this time.

- Take painted shell to Genesis Autoworks (next door to my shop luckily) to have 3m’s clear tint applied to the chassis in order to protect it as best as possible from rock chip’s ect.

Start final assembly

I think wiring the car will be the best place to start while the doors, fenders and trunk lid are off. This will let me run all the wiring to the front of the car through the fender wells.

- Mount fuel cell, pumps and surge tank. Mount rear differential oil cooler and pump. Both will require wiring and unlike the electric fan for the motor, because their location can be so variable I will need to do this while wiring the car.

- Install carbon fiber interior panels, dash, instrument cluster and misc’ gauges and controls.

- Reinstall windows (at least the rear ¼ windows as access to the back of the interior will be difficult once the seats go in).

- Reinstall seats, handbrake.

July: (drive train will be the main focus)

- Install motor and transmission.

- Setup hydraulic clutch

- Order Driveshaft (usually a 1 week turn around)

- Plumb turbo

- Install oil cooler

- Order intercooler and Radiator

- Install Accusump oil accumulator

- Verify electrical on engine

- Install throttle cable

- Start Suspension

August: (Suspension)

- Front suspension (struts, camber plates, steering rack, sway bars)

- Install rear suspension (rear axle, trail arms, shocks, springs, adjustable torque rods/pan hard rod)

- Install brakes (S60R calipers + floating 2 piece discs front and rear) WITH brake cooling duct integrated backing plates)

- Install driveshaft

- Bend brake lines.

- Plumb fuel system

- Install radiator and intercooler (if not sooner). Finish plumbing turbo piping

- Start reinstalling sheet metal

September: (Final details)

- Install all glass

- Install sheet metal (doors, fenders, Gemini hood, trunk lid)

- Install Group A wing (Gemini made, Carbon Fiber replica)

- Install side skirts, air dam, bumpers, rear skirts

- Plumb brake cooling ducts, oil cooling duct and air intake duct

- Fabricate exhaust system

- Headlights, tail lights (probably already have those in the car during the wiring phase)

- Mount wheels and tires.

Hopefully by this point she’ll be ready to run.

- Break car in asap.

October:

- Drop the car of with 034EFI for tuning.

- Pick car up when done with smile on face.

- Spend the next 2 weeks detailing

- Ship to SEMA

Hank Scorpio
12-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Here are a couple of the early sketches we have been working on. These are EARLY renditions, we are VERY close to the finalized ones... expect to see them around Christmas/Jan 1st.

The front end design is going to change a bit and the rear is missing the GroupA spec wing but its a good start!

http://www.pbase.com/dkauer744/image/37386193.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/dkauer744/image/37386201.jpg

Hank Scorpio
12-12-2004, 05:17 PM
Post them here :D

gsellstr
12-12-2004, 09:09 PM
You got a whole lotta work there, but at least you have a good timeline (you actually HAVE a timeline) and know what needs to be done.

BTW, if you need help, lemme know as I can probably come over either after work or weekends since I live and work close enough.
Looking forward to seeing it in real life!

Hank Scorpio
12-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by gsellstr
You got a whole lotta work there, but at least you have a good timeline (you actually HAVE a timeline) and know what needs to be done.

BTW, if you need help, lemme know as I can probably come over either after work or weekends since I live and work close enough.
Looking forward to seeing it in real life!

That would be great man... its really thoughtful! Hey your brother and I finally got our schedules to work long enough for him to come get those seats... weeee 1 more thing out of my shop!!

buu142
12-12-2004, 09:47 PM
I have to say that car sounds like its gonna be a great beast when its built. Its gonna be cool to read up on it in my Rolling magazines along with seeing it on the site. Words really cant describe my true thoughts about this car though. I wish all the luck to you guys. Just too bad I live on the other side of the country and will never see this thing in person :( , but that's life haha . Once again good luck!

-Jarrod

Hank Scorpio
12-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by buu142
I have to say that car sounds like its gonna be a great beast when its built. Its gonna be cool to read up on it in my Rolling magazines along with seeing it on the site. Words really cant describe my true thoughts about this car though. I wish all the luck to you guys. Just too bad I live on the other side of the country and will never see this thing in person :( , but that's life haha . Once again good luck!

-Jarrod

Actually you might. Im sure VMS might want the car for some car shows on its side of the country... maybe we'll whore it around a bit ;)

buu142
12-12-2004, 10:07 PM
oooo. That would be great, I'd love to see this thing in action. Im up in Massachusetts and I duno what there is for shows in New England, but i DO know theres a couple drag ways haha ;) . Be cool if you ever brought it up here and we could set up a ClubVolvo New England Meet haha. :cool:

JonnyScorch
12-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Looks like a hell of a project Doug, Good luck! A 2dr 1000hp wagon would be cooler tho! JK it looks like it gonna be awesome, and a real kick in the pants for the RWD community..

shake_el_turbo
12-14-2004, 01:10 AM
hey doug, maybe i am just crazy, but i have always thought it'd be really cool to try a dry sump oil system. yes, it's expensive but with this project i don't think it'll matter, i could be totally stupid, and not realize that it doesn't need it, or w/e, but i am throwing DRY SUMP OIL SYSTEM out as a cool ultra pimp suggestion.

you got alot of work to do bub, get crackin, i can't wait to see some more pictures.:D :D

oh i have some pics i want you to see, i'll post them in a diff thread so i don't high-jack. and why the hell didn't i see T-bricks on that list of helping sites?

matt.

Hank Scorpio
12-14-2004, 03:06 AM
oh Im sure Turbobricks will be helping.

I've thought about dry sumping it but decided against it because it would be a TON of extra work. What I am going to use is an Accusump... kind of best of both worlds situation.

www.accusump.com

dl242gt
12-14-2004, 11:23 AM
That's a great project Doug! I can only wish that you were closer so I could help out. It would be an honor to be able to put in .02cents worth of work on it.

I do have a suggestion for you. Since you are planning on an
Acusump. You can also set up another smaller Acusump for use
as a turbo oiler. When you shut down the motor this small Acusump will continue to oil the turbo for upto 2-3 minutes after
shutdown. It basically gets installed in the oil feed line for the turbo along with a check valve so when you shut down the oil
can't go back toward the motor. No need for a turbo timer with this setup and it helps the turbo last a lot longer.

It'll be great to hear the progress. All the best!

Hank Scorpio
12-14-2004, 02:10 PM
Dave I've been defiently toying with the idea. Accusump does make a turbo specific one ;) :D

(damn I hate being at work cant talk for long! lol)

Tenacious Todd
12-14-2004, 03:08 PM
Hey Doug am I missing something but isn't the rear of that car from an 83> 200.. Please explain..
Have WELDER will travel.. :wave:

dl242gt
12-14-2004, 04:47 PM
The turbo oiler basically is just T in the oil feed line for the turbo. You install the check valve before the T and when you shut down
the tank feeds the turbo. Depending on the size of the tank will be how long you feed oil. The turbo itself is a restriction thus the oil can't just flow out all at once.

I put a photo of the engine in the 81 turbo that I bought with this on it. But if you'd like some bigger better photos let me know and I'll take some and email them to you.

Rock on!

Hank Scorpio
12-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Todd your right... we are using a 75 for smog exemption (in CA) but were going to (somehow) use the later style tail end.

Dave, the GT series turbo's use quite a restrictor... a 2-3qt after oiler would probably oil that turbo for quite while awhile after shutting the car off.

s7726
12-14-2004, 10:02 PM
I was under the impression that CA emissions went by whichever was newer between the body and the engine, not just by the body. I'm open to being wrong.

Hank Scorpio
12-14-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by s7726
I was under the impression that CA emissions went by whichever was newer between the body and the engine, not just by the body. I'm open to being wrong.

Nope, thank god. That only applies if you want to swap in a newer motor to a non smog exempt car.

If your exempt screw em if they ask ;)

gsellstr
12-15-2004, 01:02 AM
Actually, it depends on the actual model year of the car, rather than the engine. They could care less about engine options for pre-76 cars as they aren't required to even HAVE an emissions test..at least at this point (thank god!!)

Hank Scorpio
12-15-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by gsellstr
Actually, it depends on the actual model year of the car, rather than the engine. They could care less about engine options for pre-76 cars as they aren't required to even HAVE an emissions test..at least at this point (thank god!!)

Hopefully we can atleast keep that :D

Crazychopstick
12-16-2004, 01:39 AM
This sounds like a badass project that you have planned. I get my 240 back in Feburary, so I'll be checking your progress for my inspiration.:D

Captain Bondo
12-17-2004, 05:54 AM
Dude, just found your "hidden" thread. The project sounds wicked man. I'm super jealous! I have most of the T56 stuff ironed out as I've had a bellhousing and whiteblock to play with for a little while, so let me know if you hit any snags. Hoping to have mine together summer-ish. Some big stuff planned as well to go along with the launch of a little company I have going as a side project. I'm sure you'll have plenty of help and everyone wants to, but just thought I'd mention it since I'm doing something similar and have done a little research. Oh and cnc access.
Anyhoo best of luck!

Hank Scorpio
12-17-2004, 10:51 AM
Cool **** Kenny! Im glad Im not the only one trying to find solutions to whiteblock conversions... a Domestic transmission is the best bet imo for that.

I'll keep everyone in the loop :D

B-dub
12-23-2004, 03:36 AM
Well it goes without saying that watching you put together your first 242 was more than amazing i just wish i had found it sooner your work has made my build eaiser and cheaper lol, but not to stray off topic... i can't wait to see how this project unfolds, it should be SWEET!

Tuff240
12-24-2004, 02:53 AM
Good luck fitting 10" wide wheels in the back.

I'll reserve my laughing quota for later. ;) :tongue:

B-dub
12-24-2004, 04:48 AM
i don't see why there would be a problem fitting 10" wheels in there, i have 18x9s on my wagon right now :D and all i had to do was roll the fenders;)

Hank Scorpio
12-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by tuff240
Good luck fitting 10" wide wheels in the back.

I'll reserve my laughing quota for later. ;) :tongue:

Adjustable torque rods my man... I've got 8's on the orange car w/ over an inch inbound and 3/4 on the outside and I still have half a fender lip that can "disapear" :p

Hank Scorpio
12-26-2004, 05:04 PM
Heres an update:

Were getting very close to finishing the 3d renders, I'd like to thank Nick Cronan for all the hard work! His link is featured up above!

Here you guys go... almost there!
http://www.pbase.com/dkauer744/image/37900470.jpg

yama
12-28-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by AdminDoug
Post them here :D

Doug,

Glad to see you deceided to build another 240. Should be interesting and I'm sure the Volvo community will benefit. Just a little dissapointed that your not sticking with the redblock as that's what 99.9% of us use.

good luck

Hank Scorpio
12-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by yama

Doug,

Glad to see you deceided to build another 240. Should be interesting and I'm sure the Volvo community will benefit. Just a little dissapointed that your not sticking with the redblock as that's what 99.9% of us use.

good luck

True, but I honestly think its time to move on. The whiteblock motors are becoming cheaper and its (no offense to redblocks) a more intresting swap as far as SEMA goes. Plus, it helps tie in the "new" aspect of the car (ie, these are parts we can offer for FWD volvos)

245gti
01-02-2005, 07:31 PM
Cool plans Doug. The thought briefly crossed my mind a few weeks ago about doing the same thing but it disappeared almost as quickly. I just don't have the time....

Perhaps Avalanche Performance Technologies could be added to the list? I think we might be able to help out with some poly bushings....:cool:

Hank Scorpio
01-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Ofcourse bud, I was actually bouncing some ideas off of Matt D a couple weeks ago about some poly bushings for engine mounts. (long story)

245gti
01-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Yeah...we're working on the engine mounts. Whether we'll be able to sell them is another question. They'll certainly be strong though. I think we'll actually be able to use one of the Volvo poly suspension bushings in a fully captured tube.... Provided the welds hold, it'll be very strong.... We'll be sure to keep you in the loop...

slpdesign99
01-04-2005, 06:50 PM
I am from Australia new to Volvos and very keen to watch this project.

since you are using a pre 76 242 I noticed that on the sketch that it has a late model flat front from a 240 ?

I am intrested about how this is going to be done?

as well as that bumper.

Good luck.

dl242gt
01-04-2005, 07:13 PM
In answer to the question above. The parts to make the later flathood front work on an older 240 involves putting the front fenders on and the front lower sheet metal. Of course you'll want the newer bumpers, too. You really don't need to put much on there. The hardest piece is the lower front sheetmetal so you can fit that type of grill. For the US we got those types of front sheetmetal for the 86 and newer 240 series.

Dale, I am interested in motor mounts. When you guys make them up please put me on the list. I will definitely get at least
one set.

Rock on!

Captain Bondo
01-10-2005, 03:04 PM
As a response on the T6 motor-
There is a lot of logic in using the T6. And I don't just say that'cause I have one too. ;)
The big thing is that these motors are getting really cheap.
Once mounts and adapters are readily availible, you can buy a complete one for like, 1200 bucks, chuck a couple of 13c turbos on it from 90+700/900 turbos, and have a 2.8L all aluminum motor that does well over 300hp for what is really quite cheap.

Think about it, if you build a hot b23/b230 you're start with something that needs a full re-do, mega cam, porting, etc etc etc to do the same thing and it's still shy 500cc and itsn't going to have the power curve. A stock B6284 has like, 280ftlb at 1600 rpm. Lets see a B230 do that. This is what I'm saying. With a curve like that even a stock t6 will PWN even a fairly high buck b23/b230 motor that still requires engine mounts mods and an adapted non-volvo tranny so what's the advantage? Ya up front you can buy one for a few hundred bucks but it will nickel and dime you to death before it's ever reliably powerful. BTDT.

Dougie,
pics look groovy. the front end is getting there- the first sketch is nice and fits the car, but sorta conservative, sorta similar to the acura airdam I had way back. The new pic cures the conservative-ness of the first but looks a little bit too, I dunno, "japanese" but it's still cool. I just lean towards DTM/WRC styling rather than say D1 drift . But thats totally just me, just thought I'd input as I know for myself every bit helps.

Volv-a-Ratti Man
01-10-2005, 04:11 PM
So Doug, my big question is are you going to use the 960 high comp 3.0L motor (B6304S) with big T3 turbo's or go with a modified T6?

IIRC, my discussion with the Swedish engineers during the S40 Drive Event last Feb said they put a modified 960 3.0L into Paul Newmans 965 with two bigger turbo's on it for about 585 hp. I think they used a T5 Mustang tranny also. The neat thing they said they did was to put the bigger and more improved rear independant suspension with carbon fiber leaf spring which is a kit now avail for the 960. They said the stock 960 rear diff would be good for a lot more hp.
Now there would be a great conversion for the 242 project, wouldn't it? Get rid of that live rear axle, make it handle like it should.

Hank Scorpio
01-10-2005, 04:38 PM
Kenny, it looks like Terry is planning on using the 960 block he has. Since the internals are being swapped, I dont see any real benifit of one block over the other. That being said, if I was sticking with stock internals it'd be T6 all the way. More turbo friendly and they are indeed getting cheap.

Well, I have some bad news for everyone... sorta. I've come to the conclusion where theres no way I can make this car complete by SEMA '05. In all honesty I still haven't even found a shell worthy of using yet, so it looks like Im going to take a MUCH needed 3-4 month "Car vacation" before starting the project in aim of '06.

Doug

Captain Bondo
01-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Sorry to hear that Doug, again let me know if I can lend a hand-

The block WILL matter if it is an earlier 960 block- anything older than '95 should be AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS due to the big block porosity scandal surrounding those earlier blocks. Otherwise I agree, a block is a block if you're doing custom guts. Also i hear t6 motors have oil squirters and 960 motors do not, but that could be hearsay. They may both have squirters or neither might.
The twin turbo setup sucks and a single would be sweet, but I know of several upgrade T6 motors doing 500+ on ported stock T6 manifolds, which is way more than I'll be shooting for, so I suspect I'll just use a couple larger td04's and flog the stocker to some ricers on ebay- should make the upgrade almost free since stock 13c's are pretty cheap as it is. Assuming things go right in terms of workspace and funding, I'm really hoping to get mine sorted for sometime in the summer. But it's pretty basic compared to your project. ;)

Volv-a-Ratti Man
01-10-2005, 05:27 PM
I think the oil squirters and better lifters were added in '96 along with the S80. The biggest value for getting an S80 2.9L motor from 98- on was the addition of the variable valve timing.
I still think the best of breed is a '96-98 3.0L to do up with the +T, single or twin T. It is simpler, stronger, and more cc's. It will also bolt-up better with the RWD application.

Captain Bondo
01-10-2005, 06:47 PM
3.0 still presents the problem of unreinforced pistons and high cr though. I also wonder if volvo didn't underbore the turbo blocks for a reason....
Agreed the vvt ones are the ticket though. My motor is from a '99 T6 and has said feature. :devil:

Hank Scorpio
01-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Capn
Sorry to hear that Doug, again let me know if I can lend a hand-

The block WILL matter if it is an earlier 960 block- anything older than '95 should be AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS due to the big block porosity scandal surrounding those earlier blocks. Otherwise I agree, a block is a block if you're doing custom guts. Also i hear t6 motors have oil squirters and 960 motors do not, but that could be hearsay. They may both have squirters or neither might.
The twin turbo setup sucks and a single would be sweet, but I know of several upgrade T6 motors doing 500+ on ported stock T6 manifolds, which is way more than I'll be shooting for, so I suspect I'll just use a couple larger td04's and flog the stocker to some ricers on ebay- should make the upgrade almost free since stock 13c's are pretty cheap as it is. Assuming things go right in terms of workspace and funding, I'm really hoping to get mine sorted for sometime in the summer. But it's pretty basic compared to your project. ;)

Yep, its one of those things... just need a break for a bit.

I can't imagine anyone making that much power through such horribly designed manifolds, but thats impressive.

I am staying away from the early blocks, defiently aware of those problems.

Captain Bondo
01-11-2005, 03:10 AM
There is a bilsport article floating around - black 242 with a b6304 iirc. Has two 13c's from 940t's on it, doug nash prepared turbo 400 or something iirc. That's the other beside the one volaratti mentioned I can think of. Pretty sure it does 500. I have the article at work, I'll try to post it. :)

Hank Scorpio
01-11-2005, 10:47 AM
I have it ;)

Captain Bondo
01-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Thought you would. Anyways it's a pretty good example of big power on the t6 manifolds.

TheMadChigga
01-27-2005, 11:30 PM
just make sure the TE37 are low offset at the rear :D

I'll be honest here, the bumpers aren't going to pull anything off at modern show, it's too out of place, I think you shuold either take them off and work with the body, or extend them going all around the body, and wrap them in carbon fibre.

its just not smooth enuff, and I like the rounded lights, simply just because you have a lot more choices in choosing what type of lights going in there, for example, you can use Audi A6's HID projector, or the Q45 multi LED lights, which both have been done on GS's, and it looks mint.

I like the engines and suspension plan, just the exterior I think it can use more spice.

oh and I think this would look cool, do a boser/bad boy hood extension, and make sure the hood is all in carbon fibre.

TheMadChigga
01-28-2005, 06:22 PM
a la
http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/data/500/6069Gold_skyline-med.jpg

Hank Scorpio
01-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Thats what I figured I'd do Sam.

As for the design details, they are finalized in that drawing but I have a good idea of what I want it to look like.

As for the Hood, Sam, what else would you expect. I already have (had I guess) the first CF one out there ;)

Captain Bondo
01-30-2005, 06:52 PM
I hear what you're saying sam. What I am finding is it's very difficult to walk the line between "modernizing" the car's looks and trying too hard. I lot of the really wild stuff I've tried just doesn't fit.

I definitely agree with you on the lights though- the short very "square" headlights just re-emphasize a very geometric sort-of blandness imo, but that is part of the 240's strange "allure, so I guess its a moot point to me, but I hear you. The fenders are so tall though that it's tough to put something more modern looking in there because the distance from the top of the bumper to the hood is so great. Long thin lights just look weird in the big huge opening.

I did the 940 eurolights because they were the most modern-looking thing I could find that would reasonably fit in the space I have to work with, but even they aren't ideal. I think a really well designed set of eyebrows might make them look less gigantic and more streamlined, but that is sensitive territory and things can start looking very tacky very quickly.

The ideal thing would be to build a bumper that starts further up the body, but then you have to fully re-work the fenders. But, by this point it's not even a 240 anymore. At this stage a guy might as well start with a later car and do an 850/s70 front end.
If I can find a ways to make the headlight section of the lens clear I'd love to put bi-xenon projectors in there.

I think the best compromise is to style things somewhat like an AE86 or S13 silvia- something wild and modernized, but something that says, "I accept the fact that this car is not shaped like 2000 Civic" sorta thing.

I've gotten the majority of the shape of my airdam sorted out now- I'll post some pics this week. I'd love some input. It's heavily influenced by some of the classic s13 kits.

I like discussing this stuff even more than performance, the "artsy" bits of it all.

TheMadChigga
01-31-2005, 09:23 PM
hey Kenny, want to sell the e-codes?

Captain Bondo
02-01-2005, 03:00 AM
hahaha- they would be useless to you as I have hacked all of the brackets off of them that you need to attach the marker lights to them. Made my testicles shrink up a little taking a pair of tin snips to the $500 a pop housings. lol. If I ever decide to try something else I'll have to sell them with the brackets to put them in a 240 to someone who wants them for their 240.
Instead of the gap between the bottom of the headlight and the bumper it would be cool to build a HUGE bumper that started that far up the front of the car. My other thought has been to try to move the bumper up, and then make a deeper airdam or SLAM the car. It conflicts with the turnsignals going that though- and adapter 900 turns would be a nasty task at best. sorry. random thoughts. I think in the context of a discussion regarding a main-stream performance volvo, getting the look right will be key.

mr_beverage
02-02-2005, 02:31 AM
hey doug

i like the computer generated bule print for the new 242 especially the s13 looking front kit

i had an idea whil playing with that pic of yours in photo shop and i managed to lower the roof i was wondering how much of a job that would be and if you have thought of it already i mean its kinda similar to how they make hot rods but in the 242s case i think it would make it look more sporty

Captain Bondo
02-07-2005, 04:04 PM
here's the tbricks thread to the update:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=33361

;)

TheMadChigga
02-07-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm still trying to do my own "Artist rendering", but I suck at computer programs.

Hank Scorpio
07-14-2005, 03:13 PM
wow this thread got moved from CV, how intresting :-D

I need to update this badly.

horse
07-15-2005, 05:53 PM
yes - yes you do . . .

adrianpike
07-15-2005, 06:15 PM
yes - yes you do . . .

But the ARRRR needs more carbon fiber!

frostburner
07-15-2005, 07:08 PM
yes update please.. ill be at sema this year with work for a few days and id take them over to the volvo to show off lol..

blkaplan
07-17-2005, 04:18 PM
hey doug,

how bout a custom trailing arm setup
im thinking some optimized 4130 lightweight trailing arms
that utilizes one coilover (shock in spring assembly)
and also accomidates for larger rear tires by moving the shock and its bad bolt out of the way.

also, go for a carbon driveshaft if you haven't added that to ur list

Spottty
08-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Whats the deal with this?

Is it still happening?

Chigga 744SE
08-17-2005, 11:04 PM
it better, I'll go to whichever SEMA when his car is attending.

Spottty
08-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Damn straight! Me too!

Hell I hope I have mine on the road then I'll drive there.

Hank Scorpio
08-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Im working on it I swear!! Very very slowly.

I may have 2 FWD cars to show at SEMA next year under a new banner a couple of us are starting up.

Unregistered
12-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Hei
We where running the black 242 3,0 twinturbo on the dyno about two months
ago and it put out 442hp and 600nm on the rear weels.
The only uppgrade from the mag was an electromtive tec3 system.

best regards
Finn from norway

RockVegas
12-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Love the drawings! What are program are you using for that?