PDA

View Full Version : tinting my 242 windows

Anonymous
12-01-2002, 10:44 PM
i'm new to this forum, and was wondering what any of you 240 people out there use to tint your windows....i found some stuff at pep boys for 30 bucks...but am worried it would be a waste of money. i've heard that stuff never looks right

oneflat83
12-01-2002, 11:26 PM
Hi there,
Your correct in your assumption on the pep boys tint being a waste of money. You get what you pay for.
If your new at tinting (like it sounds) then it really wouldnt make much of a difference. The chances are that if you have to ask where to get tint then you havent been shown how to properly apply it. But, if your good with your hands, patient, and can practice on a few pieces before you actually try your personal car then you might pull it off.
To answer your question. Get quality tint from a plastics distributor. The thicker tint will come out better due to less wrinkling. It also wont turn purple like the pep boys stuff. Its about $6 a linear foot. good luck.

Anonymous
12-02-2002, 08:40 AM
SOLARGARD (Yes,spelled that way!) Is FANTASTIC stuff, it's not cheap though. Our local seller has the Quantum film ( one of the different grades they produce, and they have a lot of grades and colors!) 40"X100' roll for about $200.00 (But you can do about 4-6 cars with that, depending on film waste and size of windows)
there are other good bands out there, but I really like SolarGard, especially their titanium film, it's NOT dyed, but metalised, so it WILL NOT fade. But the Quantum is dyed, and I've had it on my wife's car for about 4 years, and it still looks great! I did put Titanium on the rear window, since it has a defroster, and I didn't want to try to pull it off if it ever did fade, it would destroy the defroster!
Hope this helps. There is another Solar"something" brand that is good as well.

Anonymous
12-02-2002, 08:42 AM
OOPS! Didn't sign in, that last post was me! ;-)
VOCA164e!

boostdemon
12-02-2002, 10:50 AM
I have my 242 tinted to 20% all around... i would be willing to trade you glass if you want.

im in Northern VA

Anonymous
12-02-2002, 04:11 PM
thanks guys for your advice. and swedespeed, i am not capable of doing that trade. the tint laws in my state only allow minimum of 30% light transmition and only the three back windows(passengers side or drivers side windows not allowed to be tinted).

thanks again,

Rick M.

Volvo78GT
12-02-2002, 05:37 PM
ohh i'll state the obvious...

go to any 3M tint place, just about any town with more than 1000 people will have such a shop... they do good stuff for cheap (mine was 5 windows for 139.99 for 35% tint...

towerymt
12-03-2002, 01:44 AM
http://www.brickboard.com/AFTERMARKET/index.htm?id=128201

Read that a couple times if you want to tint your own windows.