PDA

View Full Version : having problems with ms

sick78_242GT
08-12-2005, 07:33 AM
i have msns-e 024s9 and megatune 514. im not getting any spark or fuel...also my pumps aren't turning on when....no tach when i crank the motor over....

spark:
ok i have an LH 2.2 dizzy with the light blue wire hooked up to the neg side of the coil...when i first turn the megasquirt on it reads 2 rpm i heard that was normall...any ways im running a msd 6a box im getting power to the msd but im not getting power to the coil...im getting power from the mega squirt also...then when i stick the test light on the wire going to the positive side of the dizzy it makes this clicking sound i don't know what thats all about....im thinking of putting the k-jet dizzy back in to see if that helped any(good or bad idea?).....

fuel:
my pumps don't prime when i turn on the megasquirt im getting power into the relay and im not getting any power from the mega squirt...(any ideas?)

also my injectors aren't clicking on and off. I put a noid light in there and checked it out no injector flash what so ever....(any ideas?)

my TPS:
when i am calabrating it the takes on number every second when i hit "GET NOW"....in the mega manual says that its a bad connection or something....does that mean i have the wires hooked in backwards or do i need a new TPS..Its a nissan TPS(any ideas?)

thanks

chris

benflynn
08-12-2005, 10:31 AM
how is your fuel pump relay hooked up

sick78_242GT
08-12-2005, 03:54 PM
i got a battery 12v on it...the pink wire is hooked up in the relay as the 12v switched, i have a ground, and a 12v out going to the pumps....

242Fast
08-12-2005, 04:03 PM
elaborate on the blue wire coming off the distributor. you're running this as megasquirt AND spark right? i'm not good at remembering those colors, is the blue one the middle pin on the dizzy? if it is, that's the signal for rpms that goes to the ms box......tells the box when stuff's happening, when to spark etc. so that could be the problem.

from my notes, the blue wire is supposed to go to pin 25 on the megasquirt.

sick78_242GT
08-12-2005, 09:01 PM
yea its the light blue wire coming out of the ms...and yes i am running msns-e...now i have the light blue wire hooked to the neg side of the coil...well im going over to work on it right now hopefully i can get every thing working...i have no idea whats going on but im sure i could probably figure it out....

benflynn
08-12-2005, 10:54 PM
:oops:

sick78_242GT
08-13-2005, 12:05 AM
so the lh dizzy will not work with mega squirt...remember i have a b230ft motor in right now....and where do i put the blue wire...

linuxman51
08-13-2005, 12:34 AM
You're not reading the install guide very closely.

The SHORT wire (pin 25) is the tach input, it gets hooked up to the middle wire on the megasquirt (unless i EXPLICITLY stated otherwise when I mailed you your harness).
the long light blue wire gets cut short and a 300-400 ohm resistor gets wired inline to +12v.

if you've got a 2 wire distributor, well, then you've gone horribly wrong somewhere.

linuxman51
08-13-2005, 12:38 AM
oh hell i just read the orriginal post.

the distributor does not talk directly to the coil. you might have nuked it. the ignition module (often incorrectly refered to as the powerstage) talks to the coil, and in a pinch if you'd like a flat ignition curve you can wire the middle wire of the distributor up to the trigger wire on the module.

Since youve been having issues with lh, i would suggest eliminating everything factory from the equation, that would mainly be the two ecu's, and any assorted wiring from their plugs to the engine itself.

Then sit down, read the install guide all the way through, paying careful attention to the parts that deal with tach input (Wiring up the distributor)
and spark output (wiring up the ignition module)

Take care of the tach input and the injectors should start working, wire up the ignition and you should have fire. worry about the tps later.

sick78_242GT
08-14-2005, 06:28 PM
ok still no spark....i put the 124 ignition module back in and still no spark.. now im gettting power to the coil but not out the coil...and i also have power on the neg terminals of the coil..i have Pin 24 hooked up the the neg side but thats not hot when i take it off of the coil but it is hot when its hooked up..also the red and white wire has power to but no when off the coil....then when ever i hook a wire back up the the coil my pumps prime for 2 sec...its kinda wierd....what could this be? is my coil toasted?

thanks

chris

benflynn
08-14-2005, 06:36 PM
ground(to chassis) pin 5 on mod(123)pin 6 on 139 and it will spark...put a spark plug on the coil(primary wire) to check..it will spark when you take the ground away

sick78_242GT
08-14-2005, 06:56 PM
pin 5 goes to the megasquirt pin 30 then yellow wire..according to kenny.

benflynn
08-14-2005, 09:20 PM
take that wire off and ground it if your ign. is hooked up right it will spark when you ground it or when you pull the ground away...this will tell you if the ign is hooked up right...you will not get a tack from the - coil if you are using msns because it has to fire the coil to get the signal you can hook the signal to ms from the sgnal of the dizzy(not the power/not the ground. the other) but check the ign first..the signal wire(from dizzy) dose not go tho the coil

sick78_242GT
08-15-2005, 04:22 AM
ok now i have a tach signal and i have power comming up the the coil but no spark still...i have a 124 module still but im going to put the msd back in tomarrow...i bought a new coil today a MSD Blaster SS coil..and still no spark this is weird does anybody know what this is...

chadsmeltzer
08-15-2005, 11:35 AM
make sure your module is grounded very well!!

benflynn
08-15-2005, 01:56 PM
ok if the ign is wired up correctly and you ground mod. it will fire...did you do this? i just put in a ss coil this weekend and it works fine even cleared up a rough idle...now i am blowing hoses 3 at a time

swedefiend
08-15-2005, 02:00 PM
does anybody know what this is...

Incorrect wiring.

sick78_242GT
08-15-2005, 02:53 PM
ok i have pin 1 the red/white wire going to the negitive side of the coil. I have pin 2 the brown wire going to ground. I have pin three the sheilded wire for pin 5 not going to any thing..I have pin 4 The Blue wire going To a 12v switched. I have Pin 5 going to pin 30 on the megasquirt I belive its yellow...its this correct?

when you mount the module is that sort of a ground too because i don't have it mounted and its inside the car....

benflynn
08-15-2005, 06:35 PM
the colors dont mean anything to us...if you want help then take our suggestions...or dont and have a 4000lb paper weight..good luck

sick78_242GT
08-16-2005, 04:25 AM
.or dont and have a 4000lb paper weight..good luck

whats that mean

swedefiend
08-16-2005, 04:32 AM
whats that mean

If the car doesn't run then what are you gonna use it for?

*Looks around for paper to toss inop 242 onto*

sick78_242GT
08-16-2005, 04:38 AM
well im about to sell this thing its been nothing but a headache i just want to damn thing to run its an awesome car

kyle242gt
08-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Read the megamanual, cover to cover, twice.

Print out the DB37 schematic, label the wires with the colors you're using.

Make sure they're going where they're supposed to, and are properly soldered and insulated.

Try running MS without spark first, if you can get your original Kjet stuff back in. You will need to make wiring changes and set a bunch of code options.

If you skip the Kjet ign, be certain you're using the right wiring, schematic 2:
http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/pix/msns-schematic2.jpg
Then make sure you have your trigger angle set properly. That's beat to death in this post http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47175 You will need to set an option in MS, LED2=IRQ or something... by default, it gets hijacked for an output, you want to put it back to ign ack.

sick78_242GT
08-17-2005, 03:49 AM
yea i will try it out tomarrow...its hella frusturating

benflynn
08-17-2005, 11:46 AM
it is hella fusturating to have advice ignored

sick78_242GT
08-18-2005, 12:09 AM
when the module is mouted is that some sorta ground!!!!

swedefiend
08-18-2005, 12:53 PM
when the module is mouted is that some sorta ground!!!!

No. If you had read the instructions, you would know this. :nono:

kyle242gt
08-18-2005, 01:19 PM
:party:

sick78_242GT
08-19-2005, 04:45 PM
ok...what instructions...i didn't see any instructions for the 124 mod....

kyle242gt
08-19-2005, 05:03 PM
I swore I was going to stay out of this, but can't seem to help myself:
http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/ If you look around and read the site, eventually you'll find this page:
http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/setup-msns.html
and since you seem like you need a little extra help, on that page you will read:
Pin 1 =>>> (-) side of coil (is labelled "1" on the coil)
Pin 2 =>>> Ground
Pin 3 =>>> n/c
Pin 4 =>>> Switched 12v* (eg from (+)side of coil, labelled "15" on the coil)
Pin 5 =>>> n/c
Pin 6 =>>> Spark output from Megasquirt e.g. Pin 30 / FIdle on the relay board
Pin 7 =>>> n/c . Not always present.
complete with pictures.

sick78_242GT
08-19-2005, 09:46 PM
thats a lotta info thanks kyle im going to have to check some stuff with ms...

swedefiend
08-20-2005, 01:05 AM
Okay Chris. I am gonna spend a few secs posting here while I hope someone is helping me out in maintenance: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=49920

---

- You need to check all of your wiring for MS again. Please refer to the image here:
http://www.msefi.com/msinfo/manual/extwir.gif (please forgive me for hotlinking)

- Make sure yours is layed out the same way (disregarding the wiring colors).

- You need to decide if you are going to use the 124 module with a coil or if you are going to use MSD and a coil. The two are pretty much mutually exclusive unless you drive the MSD coil with the 124 module (doesn't make sense if you have a 6al box.)

- If you wire up the 124 module as Kyle has posted, then you can take the pin 6 wire (or a jumper) on the 124 and tap it on a ground (like the strut tower) and the coil should spark when you momentarily hold the wire to ground and pull it up.

- To check the coil for spark: Take one of your plug wires and a spare spark plug and connect the end of the plug wire normally going to the distributor cap into the main connector of the coil (called the primary connector - or "high tension"). Then place the spark plug somewhere it will touch ground (like one of the strut bolts) without you having to hold it and refer to the comment above.

- If the coil doesn't spark, then either it is a bad coil or the module is fried.

- When you get spark (pretty simple if you wire up MSD - just hook up the box per the instructions and use the white wire for input - see the section in the MSD instructions regarding hall effect.) Then hook up the "trigger wire" (the white wire on MSD or the wire from #6 on the 124 module) to pin 30 on the MS box.

-note: There are instructions for testing the 6al by tapping the white wire to ground as I described for the 124 module in the MSD instructions)

- Then you have to setup Megatune for MSnS:

;## in the standard installation. ##
;################################################# ##############################

[MegaTune]
MTversion = 2.25

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Pick a base configuration.
; Exactly one of these configurations must be "#set" and all the rest must
; be "#unset".

#unset DFI ; David Hooke's Ducati FI
#unset DUAL_TABLE ; Guy Hill and Eric Fahlgren's Dual Table variant
#unset MSNEDIS ; James Murray and Dave Hayne's MSnEDIS ignition variant
#unset MSNEDISmod ; Roger Enns's MSnEDIS variant with staged injection
#unset MSNS ; Magnus Bjelk's MSnS ignition variant
# set MSNS_EXTRA ; James Murray's experimental quad table code
#unset MS_ECU ; Robert Hiebert's EEC-IV replacement code
#unset MS_I ; Bowling and Grippo MegaSquirt
#unset MS_II ; Bowling and Grippo MegaSquirt-II
#unset MSpark ; Tom Hafner's MegaSpark variant
#unset PIC_SQUIRT ; PIC squirt

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Change this file to correspond to your desired settings. Use
;
; #set XXX
;
; to enable something,
;
; #unset XXX
;
; disable it.

#unset CELSIUS ; Turn this on to enable degrees C everywhere.

; Leave set if you have a modern video card with lots of color depth,
; unset to use Brad's "colors08b.ini" if you have an 8-bit/256-color map.
# set COLOR_24_BITS

# set MPX4250 ; Default MAP sensor since v2.2 hardware.

# set NARROW_BAND_EGO ; Unset if you have a WB sensor hooked up.

#unset OLD_STYLE_FRONT_PAGE ; Turns on PW2 and DC2 as gauge7 and 8. Useless.

If this doesn't get you going, then I can't really help you anymore. You would have found all the information already posted in this thread by reading the instructions. Please, please, please read the instructions.

I don't really think you should use the 124 module because of your loathing for research. The MSD will require about the same amount of work to install as the 124 module and it won't require dwell control.

I will point you in the right direction one last time: http://www.msefi.com/msinfo/ms2/Bosch_124.htm
^^^Make sure you read this!!!

sick78_242GT
08-20-2005, 09:28 PM
cool thanks greg...i just bought a new msd 6a box cuz the one i had was fried...so im picking up the new one tomarrow and hopefully it will work

thanks

chris

benflynn
08-20-2005, 10:37 PM
greg is a fag