• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Who else here thinks wheel spacers look like ass?

Captain Bondo

Exklusiv Zubehör Klub
300+ Club
Just something I've noticed lately, especially on cars I've seen in person with fwd offset wheels and spacers, is man, it looks like crap.

I suppose on a very "closed" wheel design you could pull it off, but to me it just never looks right.

Am I a tit?

Sorry I know this is a random post.

No, I wouldn't want to point out any cars specifically, as that's kinda mean and I respect that what people do is their own thing-
but I'm talking about when the offset just looks wrong. You look into the wheel and you can see the disc and caliper waaaaaay back in there... somewhere, and looking in from top-down is aweful.

I know proper offset wheels are hard to get and/or expensive, but I'm just whining anyways.

Yeah, you're a tit. :rofl:

Seriously, tit, I think they never look quite right, but what are your options for wheels? Boring old factory been-there wheels? Super expensive Swedish-sourced ones?

Maybe your opinion would change if you saw a set with some big beefy calipers behind them?

The spacers that fit the hub diameter spot-on look fine. Maybe a little off, but depending on the color it's hard to tell unless you're really looking. I've seen a couple that were smaller diameter, and THOSE look like ass.

Agreed the options are semi-limited unless you want to spend mega-dough, although there are a decent number of rwd offset wheels around for bmw's that aren't too bad. I looked into getting a set redrilled and it was right about the same cost as a set of spacers.

This is just a random thought and I know people will disagree which is totally as I'm obviously in a minority, but then again that why I thought I'd ask if anyone felt the same.
Basically, if you compare 2 wheels- identical size, identical style, one with 10mm offset and one with 40mm, invariably to me the 10mm offset with no spacer looks 100000% more badass.

The no-spacer wheel only looks better if it gains dish. If it's like any number of aftermarket wheels that seem to be made with overly thick hub flanges that can be milled down for FWD or left alone for RWD, then you have the same wheel at any offset.

Of all the many reasons not to use spacers, looks has got to be last on the list for me. ;-) Seeing a BMW blow off a wheel at speed at an autocross is high on my list.

Yes I'm just talking about aestetics, hence showroom. ;-) "Structural" concerns go without saying imo.
And yes the assumption is that it gains dish, but even if it's in the wheel spokes themselves and not necessarily the lip. Otherwise the two styles WOULD look identical if it was just a thicker hub flange. So since I'm implying there IS a difference, it HAS to be due to an increase in dish.

edit: But yeah, if they looked identical, they would indeed not look any different. Clever guy.... :-P

not really a concern for me, its like between natural boobs and fake boobs, something its just hard to find.

wait til you see my next set of wheels :-P

arrival time in.............. t minus 13 months.

towerymt said:
Seeing a BMW blow off a wheel at speed at an autocross is high on my list.

Had that happen to a friend's bimmer as well, not pretty.

They're only noticable at <5 feet; they are not for a show car, though, I'll agree with you.

Find a good 17" or 18" wheel with our bolt pattern and offset that isn't a Polaris (or Replica) and I'd get them. The FWD variety is plentiful and aesthetically pleasing, too.

If I had RWD wheels, I'd put spacers (probably 10mm) on the back anyway; the sunk-in look on these cars (240 especially) is strange.

Chigga 744SE said:
not really a concern for me, its like between natural boobs and fake boobs, something its just hard to find.

wait til you see my next set of wheels :-P

arrival time in.............. t minus 13 months.

What'd you order?

I really like Work Equip...but not for ~800/wheel...

can't tell, the Works rims didn't have my style, but these I think will pull really nicely off, I just got to make sure they have proper backspacing at front for bigger calipers. They are bit cheaper than $800/wheel, but lot cheaper than what you would have to pay outside. I did it with few people thru a group buy, hope it all goes well.

I have never been a fan of spacers. They seem kinda wonky to me.

I'm getting Works for sure. My budy just bought 3 pairs, 18's for the BMW podercoated black with a polished lip, 17's for the 240sx and 19's for the Lexus with a 3.5" lip on the back. I looked at every single rim and they are all perfect. Well worth the cash!!! (well, he gets cost)

Spottty said:
I have never been a fan of spacers. They seem kinda wonky to me.

I'm getting Works for sure. My budy just bought 3 pairs, 18's for the BMW podercoated black with a polished lip, 17's for the 240sx and 19's for the Lexus with a 3.5" lip on the back. I looked at every single rim and they are all perfect. Well worth the cash!!! (well, he gets cost)

Yep I was *.* close to ordering a set drilled and offsetted the way I wanted... course I didn't have 2500 bones laying around either.

Weren't you going to make spacers at one time eventually kenny? If you paint them same color as the hub you dont notice them.

I hear where you're going Kenny. I'm not sure if I agree or not, but then I have a set of Mercurius so you can't see crap anyways. :-D

Snoop Dougy Doug said:
Weren't you going to make spacers at one time eventually kenny? If you paint them same color as the hub you dont notice them.
I bought his material. Two sets half done. One set still raw and undecided.

Anyone need wheel spacer material? Got a set of 4 discs, each 40mm thick...

Back